Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2018 9:18:45 PM EDT
I just did the class and re-qualification over the weekend. They said to wait until about 6 months out to try and apply online. Has anyone else heard any different? My understanding is if they are late at getting licenses out it will still be valid until they get it to me as long as I have proof I applied. Do I need to carry this proof with me to avoid any misunderstandings?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is the same.   Renewal buttons are expected to go live estimated 6 months out.   Your existing CCL should remain active while renewal is being processed.

It sounds like they have the same length of time as new apps to be processed.   It is unclear yet if there is also an LE objection period  on renewal.

You may not need to carry proof but it might not be a bad idea if you are travelling out of state.   In theory the ISP should not report expired to out of state agencies but it doesnt sound like they quite have all of their details worked out yet.  I would hope we hear more as 2019 gets closer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
So how long is the renewal training - certification good for, prior to sending in your application ?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So how long is the renewal training - certification good for, prior to sending in your application ?
View Quote
From what I have read, there is no time limit on the renewal completion.   If the ISP changes the certificate, you may need to get one reissued by the trainer.  Otherwise if the ISP  alters required  course content that could be an issue but I dont really see that happening.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#4]
You're Correct.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#5]
What about those of us that are instructors?  Do we self certify?  Go to another instructor?
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#6]
What about those of us that are instructors? Do we self certify? Go to another instructor?
View Quote
We asked ISP brass about that in our meeting with them last month.   They didn't have any specifics drawn up but, we assume it will be the same process as the original instructor certification.  Just submit your instructor info....
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#7]
You would think with all the money coming in, they would get their act together and make it an easier process, but since they don't care at all and no one can be held accountable, they take their time and do whatever they want.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#8]
There is some of that and if Pritzker gets in, there will be a lot more of it like we had with Quinn and other previous democrat Governors.  There are some holdovers from those Governor's however, the main issue is the slow hiring process and job turnover once hired.  The state workers can make more $$ in other branches so once they get through the process, they are on the lookout to move into higher paying jobs.  Right now, the FOID dept. is running at about half staffing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Got my FOID in about 30 days. That was fine. Couple months later, I had to move. Took my CCW class, then applied for CCW and change of address for FOID. FOID arrived in about 30 days. CCW is STILL at UNDER REVIEW and it has been 90 days. Even though they have a time there are supposed to meet, they is nothing that happens if they don't meet that time and they know it and don't care. Lucky I will only be in this state for a few years!! Takes only 2 weeks in Florida.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]
This ain't Florida!!!

Did you do Fingerprints?
Did you get your FOID and Driver's License with the same address before you applied for CCL?
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got my FOID in about 30 days. That was fine. Couple months later, I had to move. Took my CCW class, then applied for CCW and change of address for FOID. FOID arrived in about 30 days. CCW is STILL at UNDER REVIEW and it has been 90 days. Even though they have a time there are supposed to meet, they is nothing that happens if they don't meet that time and they know it and don't care. Lucky I will only be in this state for a few years!! Takes only 2 weeks in Florida.
View Quote
I dont really understand why it takes so long for CCL without prints. Hard to believe manual searches in the 7-10 databases they check in this electronic age.   $10 for 2.2M+ FOID cards and $150 for 300K+ CCLs (ISP firearm services cut is around $42M of that iirc) and they are running short on staff?  And it is taking longer now(110ish)  than it was 4 years ago (90ish)...go figure.   Im not in the purposefully delayed applications camp but think they must be crazy inefficient and fixing it isnt on their priority list.

And it sounds like renewals will go through the same process like a new app just as lost cards appear to do.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Definitely not saying there is much efficiency going on...But, I understand their staffing issue.  They aren't saying they lack funds but, they suffer state bureaucracy and union requirements that keep them from getting and then keeping staff.  It is quite a training requirement and by the time they get someone trained, they find a better deal somewhere else in the bloated overpaid state employment.
The current head of FOID is a hold over from Quinn and definitely not a big fan of Second Amendment.  She doesn't "get it" but, right now, that doesn't seem to be their problem.  Under this Governor, we have held her feet to the fire as much as possible but, there are issues out of her control.  If Pritzker gets in, we will lose that leverage and it will return to the old days.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Its not the inefficiency or lack of funds. Its the "I don't care" attitude by the employees. Also, certain people telling others to "slow down, we don't need more people carrying weapons". There is no other reason why it should take this long.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#14]
less than 6 months out and no renewel button yet
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#15]
just read on illinois carry an instructor had his renewal button go active at 90 days.   Hopefully, CCL holders will have longer lead times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top