Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2021 10:35:19 AM EDT
It's apparently time for me to renew my CCW.  Haven't done it in VA before, so I'm looking online for information on how to renew before it expires.  Every time I think I find a link to the (supposedly revised) renewal submission forms, the link is broken or "document cannot be found".

Is my google-fu just weak?  Can anyone point me to the form I need to fill out/submit for my CCW renewal, so it doesn't lapse?  

(Expires in February.  Fairfax county ).

TIA
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like the Va. state police revamped there website. I was able to find the CCW form on the state police website here. Fill it out and in the upper right, check the box for renewal.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like the Va. state police revamped there website. I was able to find the CCW form on the state police website here. Fill it out and in the upper right, check the box for renewal.
View Quote
Most excellent, thank you!

Dunno why I couldn't find it.  It seems like the government websites are optimized to the "it's working fine, let's fuck with it" standard.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Most excellent, thank you!

Dunno why I couldn't find it.  It seems like the government websites are optimized to the "it's working fine, let's fuck with it" standard.  
View Quote

I am glad I could help you out. I am used to stuff changing all the time.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the "mail to" address the same as the "in person" address?

It seems like an asinine question, but NoVA loves "gotcha!" games with gun owners
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I am not sure, I have not lived in NoVa for a long time. I'll need to let one of the current NoVa guys answer that one. The other option is to call the Circuit Court clerks office and ask them. They are the court that will process the application.

Eta: this might or might not help.
Fairfax County Police ccw application process
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I might be wrong, but don’t the forms go to the Clerk of the Court? So whatever their mailing address is should be where you send it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I might be wrong, but don’t the forms go to the Clerk of the Court? So whatever their mailing address is should be where you send it.
View Quote

If you have the time, drop it off to the Civil Intake desk in Fairfax.  Don’t go at the end of the week and end of the month.  The website outline what you need to bring.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]
For anyone else, I called today and they said that the mailing and in person addresses are the same.

I might send mine in certified mail so I have proof of when they receive it.

All of this is much more complicated than it could be because of their hours and the holidays; thanks all for the help!
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can, I would do it in person. By mailing it in you are going to delay the process and Fairfax tends to take as much time as possible. All you have to do it keep track of the day you go and in 45 days if you don't have your permit in hand or a denial, you can go back and they will notarize the the application so that it acts as a defacto permit until you get the denial or approved permit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IMO VA really needs to extend the period of validity for them.
View Quote

A few years ago the GA passed a bill authorizing lifetime permits. My understanding is that they have not gone into effect yet because they were not able to figure out the logistics of the background checks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#12]
For the curious, I received my renewal in the mail.  Was about 3 weeks from when they received it (sent certified mail) to when I received my renewal.  Mailed it in a bit before 45 days from the expiration date.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For the curious, I received my renewal in the mail.  Was about 3 weeks from when they received it (sent certified mail) to when I received my renewal.  Mailed it in a bit before 45 days from the expiration date.
View Quote

Glad to hear. Mine expires in July so I was planning to drop the renewal form for ALX in the mail in April.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top