Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2019 11:14:58 AM EDT
Just a PSA to check your CCW expiration date if you haven't in a while! I happened to look at mine last week and it has been overdue for a couple months.

Also, do not let it go overdue! You can renew within 3 months of expiration. If it does expire you will have to process as an initial issue applicant which is $100 instead of $50, as well as required to apply in person, get new prints and photos taken, and also have a current training certificate. Which apparently also expires every 3 years. So now a $50 renewal has turned into at least $250 total and an 8hr class during one of my beloved weekend days.

So again, check your expiration dates and don't be an idiot like me!
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you ask the NSP if you could just renew? I went through a somewhat similar circumstance when I moved. Didn't inform them in the stated timeframe so I retook the class without asking them. When I went to the  Norfolk NSP for prints and all they were nice enough to call Lincoln and just allowed me to pay the $50 for the renewal and said I didn't have to take the class over.

Just saying, it may be worth a phone call of you haven't sacrificed a weekend or the extra $ yet.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't ask specifically, but having my ccw expire by a couple months was brought up during the process and they didn't say anything. I even went thru the entire process and was on my way home before they called me and said they couldn't push the paperwork thru since my course cert was from 2014
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Done it.  My case was "My CCWP should be due some time in a few months.  I better check exactly when."  Pulls out CCWP.  "...Two days ago.... Fuck."  Now I have reminders in several areas.  On the plus side, the second class I went to was far better than my first one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rick_NE:

Details?
View Quote
Took my first one back in around 2010/2011ish at the Bullet Hole.  The instructor (Unfortunately I know longer remember who) spent must of the time talking about holsters, firearms, carry positions and things that were not really new to someone who has carried before (I understand that many people ARE in fact new to carrying, but there were other things that were more important IMHO for CCW than things related to the firearms' portion).  At points, it almost felt like someone was trying to sell me a type of holster or firearm.

The second one I took in 2015 at Take Aim.  The instructor was much more professional and spent most of the time covering the legal aspects of CCW in Nebraska (laws, good shoot/bad shoot, what to expect after a shoot, etc).  When asked questioned the instructor was able to answer quickly or find the answer and give us where to look up more information (which to me shows a strong familiarity with the local laws).  It felt much more like I got my moneys worth.  I no longer remember this instructor's name either.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#6]
So after retaking my class i learned that the certificates you get from your instructor expire every 3 years. the issued ccw card expires every 5 years. If you go over expiration you have an additional 4 months where you can renew through the NSP without having to retake the class. (this was according to my instructor)

the employees at the Lincoln CID must not have known or at the very least did not tell me this information when i went in to renew my first time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Appreciate the posts. Good info to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top