Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 11/28/2017 8:46:20 PM EDT
Question - my CCW permit is going to expire in 6 months or so. Up until today I was under the impression that I needed to go and take a training course to renew (I used my handy DD214 initially). But a bit ago, I was reading on another post that that no longer applies and all I have to do is fill out the paperwork, smile for the camera, and hand my friendly county staff $50. I'm assuming that the 30 days on either side of expiration still holds true.

So has something changed with the renewal process?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup you can renew in the 60 day window, 30 plus or minus from your expiration day.  Also the fee for a renewal should be $25 according to code.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#2]
from the Iowa Department of Public Safety website:  http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/2017_WeaponsLawTransition_FAQ.pdf

Effective July 1, 2017, there is a 60 day renewal window. A person wishing to renew a Permit to Carry Weapons
must apply within 30 days before the permit expires, or within 30 days after the permit expires, otherwise the higher NEW
permit fee must be charged. Please note that while a permit can be renewed within 30 days after it expires, a person
whose permit has expired should not go armed in a fashion that requires a permit until a person has renewed their permit.

A person who holds (or held) a permit issued on or after 1/1/2011 is not required to complete another
training course to renew or obtain a new permit to carry weapons, however, please note that even though re-training is
not required, completing another training course.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info! I spoke with a LEO friend today at work and learned more about the updated law.

I was wrong on the price.....renewal is $25.

It would be nice to have a longer renewal on the front end....say 90 days....instead of the 30.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top