Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2020 1:30:47 AM EDT
I just got my dl today and want to quickly get my Colorado carry license. Does anyone have any recommendation of where to go? Also, do I have to take the class in my county for it to be valid or does anywhere in CO work? Lastly, is there a wait time before I can get my permit like do I have to live in CO for a certain amount of time or have my dl for a certain amount of time before being able to get my carry permit?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 2:17:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe any class in CO is acceptable.

Magnum(Near Bass Pro Shop) has a $50 class on Wednesdays.

Get your certificate then apply to El Paso county sheriff office. Last I checked turn around time is still 90 days because of number of applicants.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I am just starting to look at this as we prepare our move.  Can you carry on a prior permit from a different state while you wait or are you SOL while you wait for your approval?  I will have to look at my training records to see if any suffice for CO requirements, but it would be nice to show them my KS permit which has reciprocity and be good to go without so many hoops.....I imagine that I am kidding myself though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am just starting to look at this as we prepare our move.  Can you carry on a prior permit from a different state while you wait or are you SOL while you wait for your approval?  I will have to look at my training records to see if any suffice for CO requirements, but it would be nice to show them my KS permit which has reciprocity and be good to go without so many hoops.....I imagine that I am kidding myself though.
View Quote
You have to become a resident of Colorado before applying so not technically to your first question

This depends on the issuing agency. Weld county no problem. Denver county theyll try to throw everything in your way.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm seeing this late but let me tell you, I looked into this matter when I moved from NC to TX and there seems to be no clear answer. When I moved to TX I had a NC concealed permit and shortly after moving I got my TX drivers license. So i had my TX drivers license and my NC concealed permit. I was pulled over twice while having these and there never was an issue. I called the TX DPS and the sheriffs office in NC where I received my concealed permit and asked them both the question you're asking. Both of them told me to call the other one

The final answer I received from my issuing sherrifs office in NC was that my NC permit was valid until it expired even with a TX drivers license.

Now I believe I read that in CO if you move out of the state you have to actually turn your permit in, I believe, so don't quote me on that.

To answer your question, I don't know.

I currently have a CO drivers license with a TX carry permit and I still carry. It's important enough for me. I do have a class scheduled for the 30th of this month but even after that I believe there is about a 90 day wait period.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You have to become a resident of Colorado before applying so not technically to your first question

This depends on the issuing agency. Weld county no problem. Denver county theyll try to throw everything in your way.
View Quote
We have a contract on a house in Douglas county.  I am hoping there are some friendlies in that area just based on the geography.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Texit,

You are during it wrong.  You are a resident of CO, right?

CO law says.....

CBI

In accordance with Colorado law (C.R.S. 18-12-213) the State of Colorado will recognize a valid concealed carry permit issued by another state only if all of the following criteria are met:

The issuing state recognizes/honors a Colorado permit (CHP).
The permit holder is a resident of the issuing state.
The permit holder is in possession of a matching state issued driver’s license or a State ID showing that they are a resident of that state.
The permit holder is 21 years of age or older.
The permit holder is in possession of a valid permit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Texit,

You are during it wrong.  You are a resident of CO, right?

CO law says.....

CBI

In accordance with Colorado law (C.R.S. 18-12-213) the State of Colorado will recognize a valid concealed carry permit issued by another state only if all of the following criteria are met:

The issuing state recognizes/honors a Colorado permit (CHP).
The permit holder is a resident of the issuing state.
The permit holder is in possession of a matching state issued driver’s license or a State ID showing that they are a resident of that state.
The permit holder is 21 years of age or older.
The permit holder is in possession of a valid permit.
View Quote
Oh man they even underlined all on the CBI site so you know they mean business.

@NCCobra
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]
CORRECTION

Texit - You were doing it RIGHT!  You get 90 days on out of state permit with new CO DL/ID.

"18-12-213. Reciprocity
(1)  A permit to carry a concealed handgun or a concealed weapon that is issued by a state that recognizes the validity of permits issued pursuant to this part 2 shall be valid in this state in all respects as a permit issued pursuant to this part 2 if the permit is issued to a person who is:
(a)  Twenty-one years of age or older; and
(b)
(I)  A resident of the state that issued the permit, as demonstrated by the address stated on a valid picture identification that is issued by the state that issued the permit and is carried by the permit holder; or
(II)  A resident of Colorado for no more than ninety days, as determined by the date of issuance on a valid picture identification issued by Colorado and carried by the permit holder.
(2)  For purposes of this section, a "valid picture identification" means a driver's license or a state identification issued in lieu of a driver's license.

I was wrong.  I say again, Texit was doing it RIGHT!
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#10]
If anyone in Springs need a class, I do them for free.  This virus shit might have to blow over first though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top