Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2020 10:12:36 AM EDT
Are MO CC permit holders still renewing? I did renew the first time after CC became law. Probably will again. Any advantages?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, rather have it it than not.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Out of state travel is the main one for me.

If you accidentally carry in the post office - AND YOU’RE BUSTED - they ask you to leave.
If you don’t have your CCW, I THINK it’s a felony.

Anyway, that’s what my CCW instructor said.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ll be renewing for reciprocity’s sake.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you accidentally carry in the post office - AND YOU’RE BUSTED - they ask you to leave.
View Quote
Post office is federal property and illegal either way.  Scary thing is that if they are in a strip mall, they also lease so much of the parking lot.

You may be confusing it with a school.  If you carry a loaded or unsecured firearm within 1000 ft of a school without a CCW permit/license, then it's a federal crime.  IIRC, that's only valid in the state the permit is issued (i.e. if you're a resident of Missouri, carrying in MO on a FL permit, then it's only legal at FL schools, not MO schools.)
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a FL permit, and it's never even occurred to me not to renew.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is my thought as well
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I renew for several reasons. One for if and when I carry out of state. I also renew since you have more legal protection with a permit vs not having one. Say you cary into a business and they notice and ask you to leave. With a permit it is a misdemeanor trespass charge if you don't leave, without a permit it is a felony charge if you don't leave.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#8]
yes I did mine, I wish more people would. its not that costly. We also fought hard to get them and I travel out of state so I will always do it. I also still have hope the ATF and the powers that be will eventually let it pass for nics checks since it was under consideration. when I got mine done last year the sheriffs office said they wish more people would. I was the first one of the month but they say they seen allot of people not. It doesn't take allot of time to do.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I just looked at mine. It expired in December

ETA: Looks like I can still renew it
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I recently renewed mine:

Reasons:

1) The already stated legal benefits of being a CCW holder and "prohibited" places.
2) Out of state carry.
3) Potential law changes that CAN happen that would require me to have a CCW and if I let it lapse I could be made to take the class again.
4) People in power can see the number of CCW holders numbers. I want to be counted as a person elected officials know they have to please. More participation in Missouri CCW means a larger number of known informed gun owners.
5) Misinformed Police. Need I say more, it is easier to just have a CCW and not have to argue to the reserve officer of some little village about the law. No thanks.
6) Private party gun sales. I have bought two from people who prefer to sell to CCW holders. Their gun, their rules. Fine with me.

I am sure there are more, but the cost is so low...... do I need any more?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Renewed mine last November.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Was the state selling the CCW list a one time thing? Or is it done every year? I haven't renewed since that happened. I honestly haven't had a need for it as I don't travel much. Also working weekends and graveyards, taking a day off for a boring class, I've already taken, doesn't seem like a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Was the state selling the CCW list a one time thing? Or is it done every year? I haven't renewed since that happened. I honestly haven't had a need for it as I don't travel much. Also working weekends and graveyards, taking a day off for a boring class, I've already taken, doesn't seem like a lot of fun.
View Quote
That's back when it was an endorsement on your drivers license and the DOR ran things.  Nixon directed them to give the list to the feds.

Now the Sheriffs control the process, maintain the list, and there is a state law against sharing it.

Feds claimed the data was corrupt and they couldnt read it.  DOR  claimed they never gave them the password for the CD.....which was later revealed to be just "ccw".
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I have family in Oklahoma and travel there frequently, so I renew.

Also, on family vacations we always drive, and the places we go are west like Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Arizona, etc.-so I keep my ccw for those as well.

I carry everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I recently renewed mine:

Reasons:

1) The already stated legal benefits of being a CCW holder and "prohibited" places.
2) Out of state carry.
3) Potential law changes that CAN happen that would require me to have a CCW and if I let it lapse I could be made to take the class again.
4) People in power can see the number of CCW holders numbers. I want to be counted as a person elected officials know they have to please. More participation in Missouri CCW means a larger number of known informed gun owners.
5) Misinformed Police. Need I say more, it is easier to just have a CCW and not have to argue to the reserve officer of some little village about the law. No thanks.
6) Private party gun sales. I have bought two from people who prefer to sell to CCW holders. Their gun, their rules. Fine with me.

I am sure there are more, but the cost is so low...... do I need any more?
View Quote
THIS
As soon as I got my MO drivers license and became an 'official' Missourian six months ago, I took the class, stopped by the sheriff's office and got my CCW...and yes I will definitely renew my CCW unless something crazy happens between now and then.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Renewed mine last month. I travel out of state so gotta have it.

Just back from visiting family in Florida. Flew there and brought along my Glock 19 and Ruger LC9S Pro. Mostly pocket carried my Ruger while in Florida.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Renewed mine last month. I travel out of state so gotta have it.

Just back from visiting family in Florida. Flew there and brought along my Glock 19 and Ruger LC9S Pro. Mostly pocket carried my Ruger while in Florida.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Glock_Box_jpg-1264324.JPG
View Quote
It seems like TSA required a separate approved container for the ammo the last time I flew with a gun. Do they allow it all in the same container now?

They do. I read the regulations listed on their website. I will have to get a bigger box for all my stuff, I like your setup. I have been using two smaller ones.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought one of these...
Pelican 1510 Carry On
I load it up with my clothes, gun, holster, magazines, ammo... and lock it with my Master locks.

At the check in counter, you fill out the card, they put it in, it goes through X-Ray and I go to the gate.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It seems like TSA required a separate approved container for the ammo the last time I flew with a gun. Do they allow it all in the same container now?

They do. I read the regulations listed on their website. I will have to get a bigger box for all my stuff, I like your setup. I have been using two smaller ones.
View Quote
TSA doesn't......unless something changed.  Certain airlines say it has to be in a seperate box.  They're more concerned about the primers being covered.

I know on Frontier and SWA, you can have the ammo in the magazine stored in the same lock box as the gun (just not inserted in gun.)

Some airlines say one firearm per checked piece of luggage too.  Liability/insurance thing I suppose, since they're on the hook for $x per piece of luggage.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Excellent comments- thank you
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
... Say you cary into a business and they notice and ask you to leave. With a permit it is a misdemeanor trespass charge if you don't leave, without a permit it is a felony charge if you don't leave.
View Quote
That's incorrect. If you get caught carrying into a posted business (or any posted private property), it's not a crime at all whether you have a permit or not. Only if you're a jerk and refuse to leave does it start to become an issue. Worst case, for ignoring signs, carrying, refusing to leave, and even coming back and doing it again, is a fine and the potential loss of your ccw permit (if you have one).

For the other 16 places listed under 571.107, in those places where a permit does not "authorize" you to carry? If you have a permit, it's the same there, too, under Missouri law. (Federal law is another matter.)

But, here's the big difference. If you have NO permit, it IS instead a crime to carry into those other places, a misdemeanor. And a crime means you get arrested right on the spot. There's nothing requiring that you be asked to leave first.

571.030 is where you'll find that it's not a crime to carry into posted private property without a permit, same as for a permittee. It's also where you'll find that carrying without a permit in the 16 other places listed under 571.107 is a crime (a misdemeanor, not a felony).

571.030 RSMo
https://revisor.mo.gov/main/OneSection.aspx?section=571.030

571.107 RSMo
https://revisor.mo.gov/main/OneSection.aspx?section=571.107
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
TSA doesn't......unless something changed.  Certain airlines say it has to be in a seperate box.  They're more concerned about the primers being covered.

I know on Frontier and SWA, you can have the ammo in the magazine stored in the same lock box as the gun (just not inserted in gun.)

Some airlines say one firearm per checked piece of luggage too.  Liability/insurance thing I suppose, since they're on the hook for $x per piece of luggage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flew on Allegiant (horrible tight uncomfortable seating) to Florida. Per their website - ammo needs to be in factory cardboard or plastic box / not in magazines or gun. United looked to be the same. No rules on 1 vs 2 guns that I saw.

I declared "a firearm" at the check-in desk, they had me sign and put their tag on top the case but never asked me to unlock the case to look inside, and sent my suitcase down the conveyor belt. I used my own non-TSA locks but had a 2nd set of TSA locks just in case.

They asked me to wait around near the check-in desk in case TSA needed me to open my luggage / unlock the box. No need on either flight.

I also had a fixed blade knife in the lock box with my 2 pistols and ammo.
Used a Pelican Vault V200 Medium Pistol Case.

Both of these guns are dime a dozen and easily replaceable. If lost or stolen from the airport, I wouldn't loose any sleep over them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I obviously was confused about the misdemeanor and felony charges.

When I looked in-depth into the laws I was more concerned about carrying into bars. One statute contradicted the other as far as bars are concerned. I was a bouncer at that time and had a fellow bouncer come in and was drinking while carrying.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Does not expire until 2023.  Will renew then.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:...
When I looked in-depth into the laws I was more concerned about carrying into bars. One statute contradicted the other as far as bars are concerned. I was a bouncer at that time and had a fellow bouncer come in and was drinking while carrying.
View Quote
I'm assuming that was several years ago? We changed the drinking/possession prohibition. I'm not sure where you mean the conflict was, though, for bars.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm assuming that was several years ago? We changed the drinking/possession prohibition. I'm not sure where you mean the conflict was, though, for bars.
View Quote
It was in the beginning of last year and reading the actual statutes on the state web page was confusing and contradictory.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine expires this year and I will renew for 2 main reasons already posted.
1. Out of state carry and reciprocity
2. Additional rights in state on places where carry would be a crime without a permit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine is coming up for expiration, been a while.  Do we just go to the DMV to renew of back to the sheriff's office?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#30]
You made me look.
I'm good until October 2021
Thanks.

Plan to renew.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You made me look.
I'm good until October 2021
Thanks.

Plan to renew.
View Quote
Same.  Hadn't even thought about it until this thread.  I'm due in April.

I will renew.  I travel enough that its worth while to me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:46:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Mine is coming up for expiration, been a while.  Do we just go to the DMV to renew of back to the sheriff's office?
View Quote
Sheriff's Office. The DMV is no longer a part of the process.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Post office is federal property and illegal either way.  Scary thing is that if they are in a strip mall, they also lease so much of the parking lot.

You may be confusing it with a school.  If you carry a loaded or unsecured firearm within 1000 ft of a school without a CCW permit/license, then it's a federal crime.  IIRC, that's only valid in the state the permit is issued (i.e. if you're a resident of Missouri, carrying in MO on a FL permit, then it's only legal at FL schools, not MO schools.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct.

DO NOT get caught with a gun at the post office, inside or in the parking lot.  The permit will not help you with that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is correct.

DO NOT get caught with a gun at the post office, inside or in the parking lot.  The permit will not help you with that.
View Quote
They wont deliver to my house. I rent a PO Box. [sarcasm font]That gives me castle doctrine, right???[/sarcasm font]

Might be a worry if you live in a big city like STL, KC, etc. I doubt anyone cares in rural Missouri.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They wont deliver to my house. I rent a PO Box. [sarcasm font]That gives me castle doctrine, right???[/sarcasm font]

Might be a worry if you live in a big city like STL, KC, etc. I doubt anyone cares in rural Missouri.
View Quote
Many years ago somebody in Montana, Idaho, maybe Wyoming (?) sued the federal government over that......everyone in the one horse town had to go to the post office to pick up their mail, but they couldn't carry a gun in there.  I don't have any more info or the results, I just remember reading the story about it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:54:37 AM EDT
[#36]
I’m a MO resident but just realized my FL permit expired 2 days ago. Hope it’s not an issue to renew now. I plan to if I can.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#37]
I'll keep renewing...travel to surrounding states fairly often
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Just did... for reciprocity mainly..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top