Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2021 3:19:22 PM EDT
If I remember right, doesn't your 5 year valid period when renewing start when they receive your renewal app?  I think I sent mine in last time a couple months early and lost out on a few months.  Was just trying to remember as I just got a renewal notification for mine which expires in Aug. and I don't want to screw myself out of 3 months.  It would be nice if the new 5 year period would start on the day your present permit expired.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that used to be the case, but not anymore.

I renewed recently. Issued date: 3/31/2021. Expires: 7/23/2026.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]
You're sweating small shit....
You only lose out if you plan on not renewing...

and if you really want to sweat shit, picture renewing and then 2 months later you die... you just got screwed out of 4 years and 10 months....
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#3]
It's the "small shit" that adds up.  I don't care to give the state one red cent more than necessary.  If you're the generous type, hey, live it up.

Thanks NAM, sounds like they did get that fixed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#4]
They did get it fixed after the first batch of renewals showed up after almost 5 years into the 2011 law, after all the bitching they got about it. It now gets renewed for 5 years from expiration date, instead of 5 years from date of renewal. They realized they'd get caught in another "crunch" of renewals, when people waited to the last minute to renew, so as to squeeze every last day out of their 5 year renewal.... and most of them did it all at once.

The first licenses were issued beginning on Nov 1, 2011. Many 1,000s applied that first day, first week, first month.  So... in Nov. 2016, Nov. 2021, 2026, 2031 etc.... every 5 years from day 1, they will be a corresponding surge of renewals. Minus those who die or move. By spreading the renewals out over a 3 month renewal period prior to date of expiration, they "flatten the curve"...
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Submitted online renewal on the 11th and it showed up in the mail today. Not bad.  Expiration date shows Aug. 2026, so they did in fact get that ironed out.  Funny how our beloved AG's name doesn't appear on the permit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Everyone must be trying to renew online this morning as their website times out when trying to access the concealed carry page.  All out areas of the DOJ website works fine.  Can’t help but speculate but...DOS attack?

Link Posted: 5/23/2021 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Everyone must be trying to renew online this morning as their website times out when trying to access the concealed carry page.  All out areas of the DOJ website works fine.  Can’t help but speculate but...DOS attack?

View Quote

I think it's just the website.. When I went online a few weeks back to renew using the ID number they sent me, It took forever... would not accept the ID number like 4 times... would just sit and load.

Finally took the ID number and the payment, and they took there sweet time mailing the card, just showed up this week.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#8]
UPDATE:  website is back up and I managed to renew.  

Also it seems they didn’t fix their renewal timing.  You’ll still get screwed out of a few months if you renew early.  My current one expires in Aug, just renewed it and it now says I’m good until 6/26, so got gipped out of a few more months.  It’s trivial really but annoying.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#9]
The have it in the web site where you are suppose to wait until 90 days prior to your expiration date before  renewing
you may have just jumped the gun.
My old permit expired July 22nd of this year. my new issue date is 5/13 and the same 7/22 expiration date in 2026.

Either way, It's not something you should sweat, Like most of us, I will carry till I die, and unless you can time you death to the expiration date, it's the least of you worries for $22.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd wait to see what the dates are on the actual permit when you get it.  My renewal was pretty much the same as yours (exp. 8/21) and the exp. on the new permit was 8/26.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think it's just the website.. When I went online a few weeks back to renew using the ID number they sent me, It took forever... would not accept the ID number like 4 times... would just sit and load.

Finally took the ID number and the payment, and they took there sweet time mailing the card, just showed up this week.
View Quote

They fixed it, it just doesn't show up on the website when you renew (that part hasn't been fixed). It will be correct on your new card.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#12]
We'll see how long this takes... I renewed my WI CCW permit online last night after dinner (Sun 7/25). Doesn't expire until October, but as renewal date is now 5 years from expiration date (as it should be), vs. expiring 5 years from renewal date, I see no reason to wait. I got the renewal letter about a month ago, figured I'd renew now before I lost that letter with my renewal code # in it, or forgot about it totally, even though I have about 2-1/2 months before it expires in October.  (I am an old fart who forgets shit ).

Last renewal in 2016 was unbelievably fast. Renewed on a Monday morning at 7:00am, permit was issued, and mailed too, on the same day I renewed it, and was in my mailbox on wednesday. WOW.... new permit was in my hand exactly 53 hours after renewing online! I don't think that will ever be bested, or even equaled. It made up for the original permit fiasco, which I applied for on day one (11-1-11) but took 38 days to be issued, and 43 days to arrive in the mail. Both my FL & UT permits took less time than that, and MN was only 13 days too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The have it in the web site where you are suppose to wait until 90 days prior to your expiration date before  renewing

View Quote

The letter I got said you could renew from 120 days before, up until 90 days after expiration date (permit will be invalid until renewed, if you wait until after expiration date).
If you wait until 91 or more days after expiration, it's a "new" application, not a renewal.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Regarding the CC permit - if you're in your car, can you have your firearm in the counsel, or does it have to be on your person?  Couldn't find anything on that.  Always wondered about that.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#15]
My renewal earlier this month gave me the anniversary date of sep.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Regarding the CC permit - if you're in your car, can you have your firearm in the counsel, or does it have to be on your person?  Couldn't find anything on that.  Always wondered about that.
View Quote

Can be in the car.

If it's in plain view, don't even need a permit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Concealed in a car with a permit would be OK?  Just thought I read something awhile back that the only way you could carry it concealed in a vehicle is one your person with a permit - which doesn't make much sense to me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#18]
From what I recall from other discussions the only real limitation to cc in your vehicle is that the firearm needs to be not easily accessible to a non permitted individual. In my case I would have to have it in the door panel or an under steering wheel holster and not in the center council where my passenger could reach it easily.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
From what I recall from other discussions the only real limitation to cc in your vehicle is that the firearm needs to be not easily accessible to a non permitted individual. In my case I would have to have it in the door panel or an under steering wheel holster and not in the center council where my passenger could reach it easily.
View Quote

One of my Glock 19s lives it's life in a holster mounted in the "doghouse" storage compartment of my work van. My wife rides in it as a passenger all the time... she can reach it, she has no permit. But I'm not concerned one bit as long as I'm in the van too, not her alone, and it's within MY easy reach. Because I do have a permit, and the vehicle is registered to me. As I bought the gun from a FFL, if a trace was run on the gun, it's me on the 4473, not her. My truck, my gun, carried concealed (and within my reach) under the authority of my permit. End of story.

If you have it in the door pocket or under the seat on the passenger side where you cannot access it, and your passenger doesn't have a permit, that may be a different issue.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#20]
New permit came today. If anyone is interested, it took one day to issue, another day to mail, 2 days in the mail system. Still super fast.

Renewed online, Sunday July 25th, 6:40pm.

Permit renewal issue date - Monday July 26th.

Postmark on envelope - Tuesday July 27th.

Permit received in today's mail - Thursday July 29th.

Old expiration date - October 11, 2021.

Next expiration date - October 11, 2026.

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Just to get the skinny, I e-mailed the DOJ regarding a firearm in the console.  Here's the reply:

" Yes, you are able to conceal a handgun in a vehicle with a valid CCW license. This would include in the console."

Andrew Nowlan | Firearms Unit Manager
State of Wisconsin Department of Justice
DLES/Crime Information Bureau
NICS Point of Contact
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Living in Wisconsin and dealing with the government, it’s best to just get used to bending over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top