Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2021 6:32:15 PM EDT
To anyone that bought or sold an off roster handgun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
About what aspect of the transaction?

Do you have a copy of the letter?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
About what aspect of the transaction?

Do you have a copy of the letter?
View Quote

The rules regarding resale based upon original purchasers category.

I threw mine away. It seems like they are trying to intimidate people into not selling off roster guns.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#3]
The reddit thread is at https://www.reddit.com/r/CAguns/comments/o0my3e/received_an_odd_reminder_letter_from_the_ca_doj/

Images of the letter are at https://imgur.com/a/tZMwSI1
So for a long time, only certain law enforcement officers were able to buy off-roster. And they could sell those off-roster to anyone else. And then the Legislature added more law enforcement officers who were capable of buying off-roster, but they were concerned about law enforcement officers flipping off-roster. And there have been some law enforcement officers who have made a business, and then they get federal charges for dealing without a license. So some law enforcement officers can sell their off-roster to whomever, but some law enforcement officers can sell their off-roster to only other law enforcement officers. Anyways, the Legislature changed the law so that everyone who use their law enforcement status to buy an off-roster needs to get a letter. So every California peace officer past and present is getting that letter.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 1:45:15 AM EDT
[#4]
nm.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The reddit thread is at https://www.reddit.com/r/CAguns/comments/o0my3e/received_an_odd_reminder_letter_from_the_ca_doj/

Images of the letter are at https://imgur.com/a/tZMwSI1
So for a long time, only certain law enforcement officers were able to buy off-roster. And they could sell those off-roster to anyone else. And then the Legislature added more law enforcement officers who were capable of buying off-roster, but they were concerned about law enforcement officers flipping off-roster. And there have been some law enforcement officers who have made a business, and then they get federal charges for dealing without a license. So some law enforcement officers can sell their off-roster to whomever, but some law enforcement officers can sell their off-roster to only other law enforcement officers. Anyways, the Legislature changed the law so that everyone who use their law enforcement status to buy an off-roster needs to get a letter. So every California peace officer past and present is getting that letter.
View Quote

Everyone who acquires an off roster pistol through a dealer transfer is getting a letter. Buddy of mine bought two off roster guns from a new California resident and got the letter.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#6]
So is there a law against selling off roster now?  Did an actual law change, or is the DOJ just doing what they feel like?  I suspect I know the answer.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So is there a law against selling off roster now?  Did an actual law change, or is the DOJ just doing what they feel like?  I suspect I know the answer.
View Quote

Certain peace officers are prohibited from selling off roster to guns to anyone other than another peace officer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top