Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2022 2:23:38 AM EDT
Something I've noticed is that online gun stores are now putting in their listings for firearms with mags of 10+ rounds, "No sale to Washington".

Wtf, I don't need the mag, I bought a metric fuckton for every possible gun platform imaginable, but now places won't sell me the friggen gun because of a mag in the box. Fuck that mag, I've got a multi-life time supply of em' already.

Anyone have any luck calling vendors directly to order and just ditch the standard cap mag?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:41:59 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to explain to them that shipping rifles with 10+ magazines to FFLs are okay.. the FFL just can't give you the magazines.

FFLs are exempt. A couple of distributors required dealers to sign affidavits to state they will not sell 10+ magazines in WA.

Still upset by the whole anti 2A thing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:47:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks I'll give it a try tomorrow. Maybe I'll order two for the inconvenience
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:53:39 AM EDT
[#3]
It's always possible that since this ban is so new that dealers are just being extra cautious about it. It would be good to send them a link to the bill and point out the section that FFLs are exempt.
Another thing to do is check to see if your FFL might be willing to modify the magazine to be 10rds only, for a small fee. This way you don't lose a perfectly good magazine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's always possible that since this ban is so new that dealers are just being extra cautious about it. It would be good to send them a link to the bill and point out the section that FFLs are exempt.
Another thing to do is check to see if your FFL might be willing to modify the magazine to be 10rds only, for a small fee. This way you don't lose a perfectly good magazine.
View Quote

Any chance you can post the link and text excerpt?

Edit:  Looks like page 8 line 38 and 39?  https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2021-22/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/Senate/5078-S.SL.pdf

19 NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. A new section is added to chapter 9.41 RCW
to read as follows:20
21 (1) No person in this state may manufacture, import, distribute,
22 sell, or offer for sale any large capacity magazine, except as
authorized in this section.23
24 (2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to any of the
25 following:
26 (a) The manufacture, importation, distribution, offer for sale,
27 or sale of a large capacity magazine by a licensed firearms
28 manufacturer for the purposes of sale to any branch of the armed
29 forces of the United States or the state of Washington, or to a law
30 enforcement agency in this state for use by that agency or its
employees for law enforcement purposes;31
32 (b) The importation, distribution, offer for sale, or sale of a
33 large capacity magazine by a dealer that is properly licensed under
34 federal and state law for the purpose of sale to any branch of the
35 armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, or to a
36 law enforcement agency in this state for use by that agency or its
37 employees for law enforcement purposes;
38 (c) The distribution, offer for sale, or sale of a large capacity
39 magazine to or by a dealer that is properly licensed under federal
1 and state law where the dealer acquires the large capacity magazine
2 from a person legally authorized to possess or transfer the large
3 capacity magazine for the purpose of selling or transferring the
4 large capacity magazine to a person who does not reside in this
5 state.
6 (3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a gross
misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't had any distributors hassle me yet about included mags for customer orders. For the people who waited till the last minute to order something that won't arrive in time I've been giving them mags from my inventory upon purchase to match what comes with their gun(s) and letting them know I will keep the mag(s) that come with the rifle when it arrives.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#6]
This is my next worry. I ordered tons of mags for guns I don't own yet, BAR for example

I hope this shit gets struck down, but if not I better be able to get a gun shipped without a mag but I can foresee issues with sellers on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
WA state dealers can still get new guns with 11+ rd mags from distributors.  Problem is not all guns are available to them due to product allocation at the distributor for high demand items (Sig P322 and P320 XTEN 10mm are good current examples).  Online sellers that drop ship from a distributor may still allow you to order, since distributors will ship to WA.  Problem is that the seller and the transfer FFL will have to deal with the magazine issue.

My hope is that we get a preliminary injunction that prevents WA from enforcing the mag cap law, due to the case in CA about the same issue.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 3:05:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Dealers can still get the high cap magazine that comes with the firearm.. but they could modify the magazine to make it comply to the law.
Fricken sucks.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 3:33:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dealers can still get the high cap magazine that comes with the firearm.. but they could modify the magazine to make it comply to the law.
Fricken sucks.
View Quote

Or they can give it to your buddy who lives in another state who came with you, it's a shame the store has no reason to check ID and takes him at his word.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 4:35:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Or they can give it to your buddy who lives in another state who came with you, it's a shame the store has no reason to check ID and takes him at his word.
View Quote

Highly unlikely any dealer would do that. They wouldn't risk their license or livelihood for that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Highly unlikely any dealer would do that. They wouldn't risk their license or livelihood for that.
View Quote

Sounds like you need to find better dealers.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#12]
This is why you make friends with you local Kitchen table FFL
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

So non-WA Residents can buy hi-caps here but we can't? Awesome.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#14]
No need, I can deal myself..
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So non-WA Residents can buy hi-caps here but we can't? Awesome.
View Quote

That's how the law reads
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Wanted to buy a Zastava M77 today from Atlantic, but that's one gun I didn't stock up on mags for. This mag ban is really fucking annoying.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#17]
FFLs are not exempt unless they are selling to LEOs.

They also forgot to actually make LEOs exempt. The language in the bill doesn't work according to what I've heard.

Did anyone ask Fedex or UPS how they feel about importing contraband? Because they also fucked that up with the "import" language including all cross border transport.

"Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:45:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FFLs are not exempt unless they are selling to LEOs.
View Quote

Yes they are able to receive them. It doesn't have to be dealing with a LEO.

Page 8 ESSB 5078.PL
24      (2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to any of the
25  following:
38      (c) The distribution, offer for sale, or sale of a large capacity
39  magazine to or by a dealer that is properly licensed under federal
Page 9 ESSB 5078.PL
1    and state law where the dealer acquires the large capacity magazine
2    from a person legally authorized to possess or transfer the large
3    capacity magazine for the purpose of selling or transferring the
4    large capacity magazine to a person who does not reside in this
5    state.

This is the section that also can be read that they can sell to someone who has a out of state license that people were talking about.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Something I've noticed is that online gun stores are now putting in their listings for firearms with mags of 10+ rounds, "No sale to Washington".

Wtf, I don't need the mag, I bought a metric fuckton for every possible gun platform imaginable, but now places won't sell me the friggen gun because of a mag in the box. Fuck that mag, I've got a multi-life time supply of em' already.

Anyone have any luck calling vendors directly to order and just ditch the standard cap mag?
View Quote

This worth less ineffective law wasn't passed to stop crime.
It was passed to inconvenience gun owners.

It's working as designed
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Whats the difference between assembled magazines and disassembled magazines sold as parts kits?
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Whats the difference between assembled magazines and disassembled magazines sold as parts kits?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nothing, complete magazines and disassembled parts kits are both banned.

(36) "Large capacity magazine" means an ammunition feeding device
33 with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition, or any
34 conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which such a
35 device can be assembled if those parts are in possession of or under
36 the control of the same person
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes they are able to receive them. It doesn't have to be dealing with a LEO.

Page 8 ESSB 5078.PL
24      (2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to any of the
25  following:
38      (c) The distribution, offer for sale, or sale of a large capacity
39  magazine to or by a dealer that is properly licensed under federal
Page 9 ESSB 5078.PL
1    and state law where the dealer acquires the large capacity magazine
2    from a person legally authorized to possess or transfer the large
3    capacity magazine for the purpose of selling or transferring the
4    large capacity magazine to a person who does not reside in this
5    state.

This is the section that also can be read that they can sell to someone who has a out of state license that people were talking about.
View Quote

Several FFLs I've spoken to pointed out that if I order a gun with standard cap mags and the FFL receives it, they aren't acquiring the mags for the purpose of transferring them, which is the only exception.

I doubt you are going to see many FFLs or distributors ship guns with standard cap mags to WA on the assumption that they are covered by this clause.

Like all WA gun laws, poorly drafted and designed to fuck with legal gun owners.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I haven't run into any distributors yet who won't ship me standard capacity mags (FFL), either with firearms or individual. None of the vendors I use have even mentioned the WA mag ban aside from it coming up while BSing with sales/account reps. I actually just restocked a bunch of PMAGs because I laser engrave them for online sale (out of state now). I received two AR rifles for customers and they came with standard mags that I had to swap for 10 rounders (arranged with customers while their guns were in transit).
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#24]
RSR Group (distributor) required me to sign a affidavit so they would still ship high caps to me. So they are still shipping them to WA FFLs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I just noticed that myself actually (the RSR affidavit) so I stand corrected! I hadn't ordered from them since the restrictions started.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:41:27 AM EDT
[#26]
PSA pulled the mags from a M&P 9 that I am transferring for a guy.  No replacement mags, no note, no refund, no mention on the invoice- just no mags...  WTF.  Glad I checked it before transferring it so he can sort it out with PSA.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 3:08:23 AM EDT
[#27]
PSA states online that no mags will be included for ban states and no adjustment or refund for the mags .  i know because i bought an AK recently .
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
PSA states online that no mags will be included for ban states and no adjustment or refund for the mags .  i know because i bought an AK recently .
View Quote

Lame. I guess I get it though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Lame. I guess I get it though.
View Quote

Thats a BS practice, vendors used to substitute the standard capacity for reduced 10 rounders when I lived in Hawaii.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I just ordered one of the MKE AP5's, because the prices have drropped quite a lot.  I noticed that a number of places wouldn't sell to Washington because of the included 30 round mag, and several said that they would remove it, but no change in price.  I am just considering this another tax for living in this state.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Does anyone know if blue label dealers are including standard cap mags with guns sold to LEOs?

They shouldn't be. The exemption in the law is for agencies, not individuals
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if blue label dealers are including standard cap mags with guns sold to LEOs?

They shouldn't be. The exemption in the law is for agencies, not individuals
View Quote

They shouldn't be, all the blue label glocks I purchased in Hawaii came with 10 rounders.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I guess dealers can just throw the 10+ magazines in the trash. By the back door
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#34]
The FFL can ship them to your buddy out of state

Or if your buddy is visiting the FFL can give them to him since he doesn't reside in WA

Might not be very cost effective but at least they go to someone that can use them, and you can visit them
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Last three purchases I've made either the gun arrived without mags, my receiving FFL took them, or the sending FFL asked if I wanted them removed or order cancelled.

Good thing I bought a ton of mags but pretty annoying if I ever want to get into a new platform with mags I don't own.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be a hard pill to swallow if it were a gun that took expensive proprietary mags. A Pmag or two and I wouldn’t GAF.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That would be a hard pill to swallow if it were a gun that took expensive proprietary mags. A Pmag or two and I wouldn’t GAF.
View Quote

This is exactly why I haven't ordered an MP5 Clone. I fucked up and didn't buy mags for that platform. Guess I'm waiting for an MP5 that takes Glock mags haha
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is exactly why I haven't ordered an MP5 Clone. I fucked up and didn't buy mags for that platform. Guess I'm waiting for an MP5 that takes Glock mags haha
View Quote

If you're gonna wait, you might as well wait until the NFA goes away and buy a real MP5.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't know what's more unlikely, the NFA being repealed or HK making an MP5 that takes glock mags haha
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#40]
There has to be a company that will take mags and neuter them for ban states, just haven't needed to search for something like that yet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the big Ap5 thread in GD, some guys from CO ordered Ap5's and the mags came pinned for 10rds. IIRC, they ordered from Atlantic.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There has to be a company that will take mags and neuter them for ban states, just haven't needed to search for something like that yet.
View Quote

Would get spendy if you're ordering a lot @ $8/each, but AofA will pin for 10rds.
https://armsofamerica.com/pin-mag-to-10rds--service/
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:28:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

There definitely are companies that do this.. Especially since there are a few states that have this stupid ban.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Probably far more companies who just don't give a shit and will ship you mp5 mags anyways than ones wanting to cuck it up.
View Quote

That would be even better
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top