Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2018 3:11:23 PM EDT
So I am seriously think of buying a house that is located about 30 to 40 minutes south of Hilo and less than a mile from the beach. Before I look into this further, what is there that I need to know. I currently live in Virginia so it would be a big transition for us. I chose the east side of the Big Island because housing is far more affordable there in terms of price and real estate taxes. What else should I be aware of or know about before venturing further into this endeavor... Talk me into it or talk me out of it...
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Moved to Big Island from PA.  Originally thought Hilo due to cheaper home prices.  Then saw it was the rainiest city in America and decided to live on the other side of the island.  For me, moving to HI was about warmth and sunshine.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I am seriously think of buying a house that is located about 30 to 40 minutes south of Hilo and less than a mile from the beach. Before I look into this further, what is there that I need to know. I currently live in Virginia so it would be a big transition for us. I chose the east side of the Big Island because housing is far more affordable there in terms of price and real estate taxes. What else should I be aware of or know about before venturing further into this endeavor... Talk me into it or talk me out of it...
View Quote
Check what lava zone it's in, that'll make a huge difference in what loans and insurance you can/can't get.  If you're interested in building, you could also check out the Hawaiian Acres lots.  They're further from the shore, but pretty solid people in there, or at least there was when I lived in HA a while back.

Hell, some days I really think about going back.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope you like dirty hippies and methheads as neighbors.  That is pretty much what you find south of Hilo.

I recommend you look at the Hamakua side or Kohala (e.g. Hawi) if you like wet weather or Waikoloa/Puako if you like very dry.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Let me add...

Living here is a lifestyle, not a location.  If you can't adapt to the "local" culture you should not some here.  If you don't understand why I put "local" in quotes, we should talk more.

I would also add, if you choose the east side of the Big Island because it is cheaper then you will be disappointed when you get here.  Living here is a lot different from visiting here.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#5]
In light of recent events, I have decided not to purchase a home there...
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:42:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Land to the South of Hilo along the Kilauea/East Rift area is cheap for a reason.  If you were to buy property there, just be aware that the volcano is your neighbor and your landlord.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:59:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol. I actually went on Craigslist last night to look for cheap houses there.
We were sitting around talking and we had this idea that we'd gamble on a cheap shack for about $5k that someboby is dumping. Couldn't find any cheap "fire sales" though.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#8]
HAOLES STAY HOME!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top