Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2020 10:33:36 PM EDT
Whats the process for buying C&R and blackpowder pistols in NY?

I have a C&R license (and a pistol permit), but have never bought anything other than long guns via my C&R.

I'm thinking I may get into that arena whole prices are sky high.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Pistols are a no-go on a C&R here.  You need to use an FFL with an NYS license to sell pistols to transfer\register pistols even if the pistol is a C&R.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pistols are a no-go on a C&R here.  You need to use an FFL with an NYS license to sell pistols to transfer\register pistols even if the pistol is a C&R.
View Quote
+1

Black Powder is legal without a Licenses PROVIDED you do not have the components to load it, which to me means no Powder, no Caps, and no Projectiles. (fitting it)
IF yo have one and intend on shooting it, it must be listed on your Handgun Licenses.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
+1

Black Powder is legal without a Licenses PROVIDED you do not have the components to load it, which to me means no Powder, no Caps, and no Projectiles. (fitting it)
View Quote

Never heard this before.  I believe you can buy all the components online including a BP Pistol without any issues or extra steps.

Bill
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Never heard this before.  I believe you can buy all the components online including a BP Pistol without any issues or extra steps.

Bill
View Quote

Penal Law section 265.00 Definitions.
   As  used  in  this  article and in article four hundred, the following
 terms shall mean and include:

3. "Firearm" means (a) any pistol or revolver; or (b) a shotgun having
 one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length; or (c) a  rifle
 having  one  or  more barrels less than sixteen inches in length; or (d)
 any  weapon  made  from  a  shotgun  or  rifle  whether  by  alteration,
 modification,  or  otherwise  if  such  weapon  as altered, modified, or
 otherwise has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches;  or  (e)
 an assault weapon. For the purpose of this subdivision the length of the
 barrel  on  a  shotgun  or  rifle  shall  be determined by measuring the
 distance between the muzzle  and  the  face  of  the  bolt,  breech,  or
 breechlock  when  closed  and  when  the shotgun or rifle is cocked; the
 overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the  distance
 between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to
 the  center  line  of  the  bore.  Firearm  does  not include an antique
 firearm.

14. "Antique firearm" means:
  Any unloaded muzzle loading  pistol  or  revolver  with  a  matchlock,
 flintlock,  percussion  cap,  or  similar  type of ignition system,
or a
 pistol or revolver which uses  fixed  cartridges  which  are  no  longer
 available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
+1

IF yo have one and intend on shooting it, it must be listed on your Handgun Licenses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1

Thats how I've always understood it.

Any idea what the process is like?

Buy everything but some caps, then bring a receipt to the PP office, they put it on your permit, and then you can buy caps? I'm mean, this is NY....but....
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Buy everything but some caps, then bring a receipt to the PP office, they put it on your permit, and then you can buy caps? I'm mean, this is NY....but....
View Quote
Process: Buy it, save the receipt, show up to the pistol office, watch the counter guy freak out because "that thing could explode right now," hand counter guy gun and receipt, have them accuse you of buying an illegal handgun, get a supervisor, have them threaten to arrest you, pay transfer fee, leave with updated license.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Process: Buy it, save the receipt, show up to the pistol office, watch the counter guy freak out because "that thing could explode right now," hand counter guy gun and receipt, have them accuse you of buying an illegal handgun, get a supervisor, have them threaten to arrest you, pay transfer fee, leave with updated license.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, I think I'll just convince the wife it's time to move.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Meh, I think I'll just convince the wife it's time to move.
View Quote
Move is my plan. I could never face the BS of going through Nassau County's nonsense and $200+ fee every five years to get a permit (yes I know it is a "License").

Of course my biggest fears are the fact that so many "Free States" are being poisoned (can you believe the Gun Control bills being introduced in Texas of all places for 2021?) and the possibility that some New York style gun laws could find their way to the Federal level and become a national thing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Penal Law section 265.00 Definitions.
   As  used  in  this  article and in article four hundred, the following
 terms shall mean and include:

View Quote

That covers the Definition of Antique Firearm, however it does not state any legal ownership and or possession issues.

Seeing PAPD decline any arrests for the past 18 years for BP/Antique firearms leads me to believe there are NO issues possessing them.

Bill

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats what I did years ago.

The needing a permit thing if you posess projectile  powder and caps is based on case law.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That covers the Definition of Antique Firearm, however it does not state any legal ownership and or possession issues.

Seeing PAPD decline any arrests for the past 18 years for BP/Antique firearms leads me to believe there are NO issues possessing them.

Bill

View Quote

Actually, that is exactly what it does. You cannot be charged with possession of a "weapon" for "Any unloaded muzzle loading  pistol or revolver with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system"
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The needing a permit thing if you posess projectile  powder and caps is based on case law.
View Quote

Any case law that is known we can reference?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#14]

What was the outcome of this case?  This was in 2009 and in NYC under BloomShit.

Bill

ETA: https://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2009/09/nypd-gives-up-harassment-of-legal-gun.html

The Daily News linked source article is dead.

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Any case law that is known we can reference?
View Quote

It goes back far enough so that I remember it being cited in my hard copy of Mckinney's. If I get time I'll try to dredge it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top