Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2022 1:36:26 PM EDT
I've noticed that over the last several years, the amount of bums and vagrants on the north side of Springfield seems to have increased double/triple.  It used to be common to see a bum or two hanging out around some of the north side walmarts or main intersections.......not it seems like it's entire bum camps of people setup all over town.  It's not uncommon not to see 4-6 bums at every intersection begging for money......and if you don't see at least a dozen bums on your way to/from/past a Walmart...you aren't looking hard enough.  No to mention all of the ones shooting up in the abandoned parking lots around town. It really has been a growing problem here for a long time......I think all the bums tell their bum friends that Springfield is the place to be if you want to panhandle money.

I think the problem is that people keep handing out money to them left and right......there is absolutely no reason for them to stop begging. I saw a public works truck pull up to some bums the other day and give them an entire box of stuff....probably stuff that was all paid for my tax dollars.

It's made the north side of Springfield look like the slums.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Drugs, mental health, people just giving up on life. It's happening everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:44:12 AM EDT
[#2]
To many retards making panhandling to fucking lucrative.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I've lost track of how many soccer moms I've seen handing big wads of cash out of their Lexus/BMW/Mercedes SUV's to these bums......I bet they pull in $300+ a day in cash!
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I think Springfield is in competition with Rolla to see how many they can pull in. We have a shelter called the Mission and since it came in a few years ago, the homeless population has risen greatly. I don't know of there's truth to it but rumint says STL is putting them on busses and dropping them here. Also heard Pulaski County drops them at the Phelps County line. Who knows if either are true but we've got them all over town. They set up camps in the woods, Lions club park, abandoned buildings and other places. They go into the bathrooms in downtown businesses, lock themselves in and shoot up or sleep. Begging at Walmart, Kroger, I44 exits, etc. It's a real problem.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think Springfield is in competition with Rolla to see how many they can pull in. We have a shelter called the Mission and since it came in a few years ago, the homeless population has risen greatly. I don't know of there's truth to it but rumint says STL is putting them on busses and dropping them here. Also heard Pulaski County drops them at the Phelps County line. Who knows if either are true but we've got them all over town. They set up camps in the woods, Lions club park, abandoned buildings and other places. They go into the bathrooms in downtown businesses, lock themselves in and shoot up or sleep. Begging at Walmart, Kroger, I44 exits, etc. It's a real problem.
View Quote

There seem to always be a bum at the 44&63 exit, and always a pile of their trash left too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There seem to always be a bum at the 44&63 exit, and always a pile of their trash left too.
View Quote

You a townie?  Yeah, east and west bound exits always have one stationed there.  Same with the north Walnart entrance and sometimes the east entrance. Kroger usually has one and there's usually one up by MotoMart at the roundabout.  Sometimes see one at Price Chopper.  

The owners of the building behind The Mission put up the big chain link fence because the people were shooting up and having sex up against the building.  And The Mission is right across the street from a day care/pre-school.  Great location.

There was talk of the Mission moving out south to the old Jordan car stealership.  That caused an uproar from the people living out that way and more from the business owners.  There's a self-storage place out behind the Do Drop In gas station and some people are moving their stuff or not renting there now.  One of the business had a deal to sell and the buyer backed out when they found out the Mission was wanting to move out there.  They don't want the hassle and theft issues from the homeless that would be there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've lost track of how many soccer moms I've seen handing big wads of cash out of their Lexus/BMW/Mercedes SUV's to these bums......I bet they pull in $300+ a day in cash!
View Quote

I looked over one day as I’m waiting on the light because I notice the panhandler doing something.
Fucker is sitting there with a fucking roll, counting it. Just right there on the sidewalk at the light.
I seriously looked around to see if there would be any  witnesses as I contemplated getting out and rolling him for his dough on the spot.

I think it was a manager of the bbq joint they tore down at Kearney and Glenstone that posted a picture of a dude that panhandled at that intersection regularly, getting into his late model 300c that he would park in the back of their parking lot.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Big part of it in Springfield is that the city decided to break up the tent cities. The tent cities keep most of them localized to Kearney & 65, West Bypass & 44, & West Bypass & Chestnut. City did it thinking that the bums would mostly leave the area. Instead they just spread out all over the place.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Springfield loves the homeless. My sister owns some trailer park or something and the city pays her to let homeless people stay in them
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just good Christians. Leviticus 25:35-36

If anyone from your country becomes too poor to support himself, help him to live among you as you would a stranger or foreigner. 36 Do not charge him any interest on money you loan to him, but respect your God; let the poor live among you.

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:05:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You a townie?  Yeah, east and west bound exits always have one stationed there.  Same with the north Walnart entrance and sometimes the east entrance. Kroger usually has one and there's usually one up by MotoMart at the roundabout.  Sometimes see one at Price Chopper.  

The owners of the building behind The Mission put up the big chain link fence because the people were shooting up and having sex up against the building.  And The Mission is right across the street from a day care/pre-school.  Great location.

There was talk of the Mission moving out south to the old Jordan car stealership.  That caused an uproar from the people living out that way and more from the business owners.  There's a self-storage place out behind the Do Drop In gas station and some people are moving their stuff or not renting there now.  One of the business had a deal to sell and the buyer backed out when they found out the Mission was wanting to move out there.  They don't want the hassle and theft issues from the homeless that would be there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have work to do out there 2-3 times a month, it's a shame what bums do to a city. I don't really have good answers though. There's supposed to be a tent city out in the woods off 72 between Salem and Rolla. I haven't been there but some of my employees talk about it. We should subsidize it and build bartertown and a thunderdome.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have work to do out there 2-3 times a month, it's a shame what bums do to a city. I don't really have good answers though. There's supposed to be a tent city out in the woods off 72 between Salem and Rolla. I haven't been there but some of my employees talk about it. We should subsidize it and build bartertown and a thunderdome.
View Quote

Hadn't heard about that one. I don't know that there are good answers. At some point, people need to realize giving them money is not helping them. That's just enabling them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#13]
That Casey's by the Walmart is the only one I've ever been in where they keep that bathrooms locked.

Can anyone explain the mentality to defecate into places other than in the water of a toilet in a public bathroom?  The cashier said she was tired of cleaning feces off the floor and walls.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've noticed that over the last several years, the amount of bums and vagrants on the north side of Springfield seems to have increased double/triple.  It used to be common to see a bum or two hanging out around some of the north side walmarts or main intersections.......not it seems like it's entire bum camps of people setup all over town.  It's not uncommon not to see 4-6 bums at every intersection begging for money......and if you don't see at least a dozen bums on your way to/from/past a Walmart...you aren't looking hard enough.  No to mention all of the ones shooting up in the abandoned parking lots around town. It really has been a growing problem here for a long time......I think all the bums tell their bum friends that Springfield is the place to be if you want to panhandle money.

I think the problem is that people keep handing out money to them left and right......there is absolutely no reason for them to stop begging. I saw a public works truck pull up to some bums the other day and give them an entire box of stuff....probably stuff that was all paid for my tax dollars.

It's made the north side of Springfield look like the slums.

Thoughts?
View Quote

I've lived on the south side of Springfield for over thirty years and have learned never to go much north of say St. Louis avenue unless you want trouble and be hassled by bums everywhere you go. Pretty sad really since we never had this problem until the past twelve fifteen or so years.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I actually work at the Landfill north of town, and go to work pretty damn early.  Even at 0430, there are bums wandering around on the north side.  If I have to go to town in the middle of the day for something, I'm amazed at the number of bums hanging around the bus stops, intersections, and curbs.  What I am glad to see is that private property owners are finally getting sick of them and clear cutting brushy/woody areas to deny the bums concealment.  

I'd think "probable trespass" would be PC enough to roust some bums, but Springfield PD has so many other issues to deal with that I honestly think they don't have the manpower to handle it.  The north side hotels are drug related prostitution hotspots.  Springfield is on the 44 corridor, which is a major drug artery.  There are plenty of black/Hispanic gangs working in N Springfield due to the drug activity.

It makes me sad.  I moved here (thanks to my parents) in 93.  As a HS kid, springfield was a fun place to cruise, go to the mall, and see decent concerts at the Juke Joint and smaller venues.  To see it become a tiny STL makes me sad.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I work in a business where I get to meet a lot of the police.  I've had several tell us they've dealt with bums that were put on a one-way bus from Oregon.  If we didn't have the Greyhound terminal we'd probably have a lot less.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If anyone from your country becomes too poor to support himself, help him to live among you as you would a stranger or foreigner. 36 Do not charge him any interest on money you loan to him, but respect your God; let the poor live among you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a big difference from the poor who are trying, and the mentally ill and drug addicted who want a hand out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#18]
In the STL area, there's a guy that's been working the overpass in at I-44 and Big Bend in Sunset Hills / Kirkwood for years.  He's there a few hours a day.  Always has different clothes on, a backpack, and a similar "Homeless" sign.  Often times he's watching something on an iPhone that he holds behind the sign.
They have to send that cell phone bill somewhere.  And seeing that he's been working the same spot for years and has more clothes and coats that the backpack will hold, my money says he's living somewhere nearby.  My kids and I call him the "Faux-mless guy".  Haven't seen him lately since they tore that bridge out for replacement.......guess he's down at his lake house.

I appreciate the trend were people give out a care package rather than money......toothbrush, wipes, socks, towel, water, etc. in a zip lock bag.  But I'll drive downtown and see a dozen of these bags laying in the grass at a off ramp because they were panning for money, not anything they needed like their sign indicated.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:51:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah...the problem is that the people who are "just trying to be good Christians" are actually paying for those bums drug and alcoholic addictions.....causing them more harm than good.

If you really want to help them....don't' give them any money, and force them to go out and get some professional help (it's available if they want it), and get a job.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In the STL area, there's a guy that's been working the overpass in at I-44 and Big Bend in Sunset Hills / Kirkwood for years.  He's there a few hours a day.  Always has different clothes on, a backpack, and a similar "Homeless" sign.  Often times he's watching something on an iPhone that he holds behind the sign.
They have to send that cell phone bill somewhere.  And seeing that he's been working the same spot for years and has more clothes and coats that the backpack will hold, my money says he's living somewhere nearby.  My kids and I call him the "Faux-mless guy".  Haven't seen him lately since they tore that bridge out for replacement.......guess he's down at his lake house.

I appreciate the trend were people give out a care package rather than money......toothbrush, wipes, socks, towel, water, etc. in a zip lock bag.  But I'll drive downtown and see a dozen of these bags laying in the grass at a off ramp because they were panning for money, not anything they needed like their sign indicated.  

View Quote

I used to work downtown STL, at 100 North Broadway when it was Boatman's Trust Bank.  There'd be a guy walking around there regularly holding a 2 gallon gas can asking for money because he ran out of gas.

One day, he finally asked me, and I asked him if I gave him money, which gas station he was going to walk to.  I knew where all the gas stations were at the time, and the closest was way down on south Broadway.  A good mile walk.  When he didn't answer, I told him he'd be better to find a station and ask for someone to fill his can there.  He cursed me and walked off.

Every time thereafter I saw him, I called him out on whomever he was begging from.  It would always go like this, "Damn man, you still havent found fuel yet?  You've been asking all week.  By now you could have pushed your car to the station."  That would unleash a tirade of profanities, but he eventually left the area, or avoided me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah...the problem is that the people who are "just trying to be good Christians" are actually paying for those bums drug and alcoholic addictions.....causing them more harm than good.

If you really want to help them....don't' give them any money, and force them to go out and get some professional help (it's available if they want it), and get a job.
View Quote

LOL, always making exceptions for yourselves while condemning others using the same book.  I love evangelicals.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you're listening the Lord will tell when someone is truly in need. Trust me, He'll lay it heavy on your heart and you'll know if it's what you're suppose to do.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m going to be one of those unlucky bastards that hits a north side bum one of these mornings. Damn near had someone dressed all in black step in front of my car at 0430 today.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I used to work downtown STL, at 100 North Broadway when it was Boatman's Trust Bank.  There'd be a guy walking around there regularly holding a 2 gallon gas can asking for money because he ran out of gas.

One day, he finally asked me, and I asked him if I gave him money, which gas station he was going to walk to.  I knew where all the gas stations were at the time, and the closest was way down on south Broadway.  A good mile walk.  When he didn't answer, I told him he'd be better to find a station and ask for someone to fill his can there.  He cursed me and walked off.

Every time thereafter I saw him, I called him out on whomever he was begging from.  It would always go like this, "Damn man, you still havent found fuel yet?  You've been asking all week.  By now you could have pushed your car to the station."  That would unleash a tirade of profanities, but he eventually left the area, or avoided me.
View Quote

I do snow removal in the Westport and Plaza areas of KC and the two Quiktrips down there are bum central.  I always loathe having to get gas because most of the time you get approached by people asking for gas money.  They'll actually park their shitboxes at the pump and hassle everyone else for gas money "to get home".

So after you deal with that barrage, you go to the bathroom.  (QT is the only place to drop a deuce in the night)  There will be at least one stall with a bum barricaded in there sleeping or doing drugs.  In this world, QT and the employees do nothing about any of it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I do snow removal in the Westport and Plaza areas of KC and the two Quiktrips down there are bum central.  I always loathe having to get gas because most of the time you get approached by people asking for gas money.  They'll actually park their shitboxes at the pump and hassle everyone else for gas money "to get home".

So after you deal with that barrage, you go to the bathroom.  (QT is the only place to drop a deuce in the night)  There will be at least one stall with a bum barricaded in there sleeping or doing drugs.  In this world, QT and the employees do nothing about any of it.
View Quote

If you were a QT employee, would you want to deal with it?  I can't hardly blame them.  But, a quick phone call to the local pd should rectify the issue.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Seen one on the northeast corner of Campbell and Sunshine the other day, his sign said: "bet you can't hit me with a quarter"
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Seen one on the northeast corner of Campbell and Sunshine the other day, his sign said: "bet you can't hit me with a quarter"
View Quote

He just wants to prove .25 acp is a viable round for varmint control.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

LOL, always making exceptions for yourselves while condemning others using the same book.  I love evangelicals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don’t worry, after we die we won’t see each other anymore
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#30]
It is crazy how many there are. I didnt know how many until i started working for the city public works and all they do is clean the camps up, but they will move back in a couple days after clean up.. worst one is under Grant street bridge
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It is crazy how many there are. I didnt know how many until i started working for the city public works and all they do is clean the camps up, but they will move back in a couple days after clean up.. worst one is under Grant street bridge
View Quote

Hello fellow city employee!
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Hello fellow city employee!
View Quote

Hello as well!
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I think Springfield may have the most heavily tattooed homeless people in the nation.
I thought tattoos were expensive.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think Springfield may have the most heavily tattooed homeless people in the nation.
I thought tattoos were expensive.
View Quote

*Good* tattoos are expensive.  

Prison and trap house tattoos generally just require “favors.”
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Saw a guy on by Kansas and Kearney the other day with a sign that said "I just want beer money".  
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I've thought about making me a cardboard sign that says:
I have a job, health insurance, a new truck, a place to live.
I just want free money.
And stand next to some of these people to see how much money I can get.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I work in the SGF area and also KC….these bums are out of control!  I can’t stand to see people give them free crap.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:03:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Kansas City is rife with them.  At least in the past, the city asked people not to give the bums money to get them to move on. Seen them hassling people at the P&L District, even seen them try to jump in cars.

None ever ask me for anything since when I see them I put on my FU face, usually don't get bothered.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#39]
This thread is interesting. I'm here visiting family in Springfield and my wife & I keep commenting about the significantly lower homeless population compared to AZ.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top