Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2022 11:11:45 AM EDT
Has anyone done it? I have been looking at properties for sale in Central Florida and I've noticed as more people move in, land that was recently a swamp is being drained, graded and built on. Is this a common practice where as long as proper precautions are taken things work out, or is it a quick and dirty 'solution' to very high demand that will end in disaster?

What do I need to look out for if I want to build on a swamp? What is acceptable 'fill dirt' to bring the elevation up to the required height and where do I get some

TIA

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anyone done it? I have been looking at properties for sale in Central Florida and I've noticed as more people move in, land that was recently a swamp is being drained, graded and built on. Is this a common practice where as long as proper precautions are taken things work out, or is it a quick and dirty 'solution' to very high demand that will end in disaster?

What do I need to look out for if I want to build on a swamp? What is acceptable 'fill dirt' to bring the elevation up to the required height and where do I get some

TIA

View Quote

Best advice is buy a chainsaw and generator, store some water, gas, medicine and food.

Sounds like electric could be your enemy before flooding.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the BFE (Base Flood Elevation) in that area?
View Quote
From what I understand, in Zone A there isn't a BFE, or rather it hasn't been established.

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Ft Myers. Everything is built in the swamp. Digging "lakes" to build up the property is almost 100%. Including my house. It is a common practice. Look at an aerial of Cape Coral. They dug all those canals to build up the swamp.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Be careful buying land with any sort of “wetlands” determination. While cut and fill was the norm decades ago, Florida now has strict regulations about identifying and preserving wetlands. Just because you own the property does not necessarily mean you will be able to obtain a building permit or even disturb the soil without extensive (and often expensive) mitigation/preservation requirements. The Seller may NOT be forthcoming with this information. Have an informal environmental survey performed by a licensed inspector (~$1,000) before signing any contract.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I advise to not build on property with cypress trees on or very near it. I know two families that built homes in areas of Odessa/Trinity, they have never had water in their homes but both can't flush toilets or shower because of septic tank/drain field issues in the wet months. Something to consider if you will be building in a area without county sanitary sewer hook up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd be more concerned if your area is prone to sink holes.
View Quote

Osprey21 is right.

Sinkholes are scary here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top