Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/12/2018 6:59:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#1]
7?  10?  Who the fuck knows.  So glad I’m out of that shithole.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Tyranny, it is.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Someone wasn't briefed on that portion of the SAFE act being overturned.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#4]
hopefully this guy when it gets dropped he sues who every arrested him and the pd that allowed it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone wasn't briefed on that portion of the SAFE act being overturned.
View Quote
I'd say....wasn't that the western district court that tossed it?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
hopefully this guy when it gets dropped he sues who every arrested him and the pd that allowed it.
View Quote
Nothing will happen except the victim will spend a fortune to defend himself.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The story will be buried and it won't help any of us down the road.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#8]
They'll drop that part of the charge, it was the early "charge with everything and we can sort it out later"
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#9]
NYSRPA SCOPE NRA should be pushing for prosecution of the offending LEO and organizing protests at their residences.   But nothing will happen there either.  Instead they will have protests in Albany against SAFE 2 when nobody is in office and all the Dems will laugh at us.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Does Buffalo have some sort of city ordinance on this regardless of the Safe act?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does Buffalo have some sort of city ordinance on this regardless of the Safe act?
View Quote
Doesn’t matter it was shot down as unconstitutional.

Note too that judge scratchy didn’t set the limit at 10.  He said 7 was unconstitutional.  Then he rambled about 10 round mags but again did not say a 10 round limit was somehow constitutional.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Wouldn’t the NAACP, ACLU and the PB&J take this as far as they can to defend the civil rights of these urban young men?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter it was shot down as unconstitutional.

Note too that judge scratchy didn't set the limit at 10.  He said 7 was unconstitutional.  Then he rambled about 10 round mags but again did not say a 10 round limit was somehow constitutional.
View Quote
He said that limiting to 10 round magazines but forcing people to only load 7 when criminals would load it to 10 was stupid and unconstitutional. As you commented, he left out whether 7 or 10 round magazines were constitutional.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#14]
It's also worth mentioning that they caught these guys with all sort of alcohol/marijuana related stuff. The magazines were just the last tidbit of stuff they were hit with, so yeah, it's all about forcing the plea deal out of them and not much to do with real laws.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wouldn't the NAACP, ACLU and the PB&J take this as far as they can to defend the civil rights of these urban young men?
View Quote
"What are yoots?"
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Gotta be fake news.

After all, how often have we been assured that this kind of thing would NEVER happen?

The police are our friends.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Can someone cut and paste the article please. I am not signing up for my "free trial" to the buffalo news...
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Buffalo does have a city level 5 round limit. As far as I can see it's the exact text we have in Rochester.

Soros or Bloomburg wrote it?

https://ecode360.com/11767297
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Cities are stupid.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#20]
logo

4 Buffalo men charged with gun possession, SAFE Act violation
By Aaron Besecker | Published November 9, 2018

Four Buffalo men were arrested Wednesday night and charged with weapons possession after a loaded handgun was found in their vehicle, according to a police report.

Police pulled the vehicle over at about 10:20 p.m. after the driver, identified as Dorrell Foster, 27, failed to stop at a stop sign at Olympic and Alma avenues. In addition to a handgun, two full 10-round magazines – the possession of which became illegal under the SAFE Act – were found in a backpack in the rear passenger seat, according to the report. The SAFE Act makes it illegal for magazines to be loaded with more than seven rounds of ammunition, with exceptions for gun ranges or shooting competitions.

Foster and three passengers – identified in the report as Jalen M. Anderson, 24; David C. Williams Jr., 21; and Joshua A. Barnes, 27 – were charged with second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and unlawful possession of an ammunition feed device.

Foster and Barnes also were charged with marijuana possession. Foster was ticketed for failure to stop at a stop sign and drinking alcohol in a motor vehicle, according to the report.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nothing will happen except the victim will spend a fortune to defend himself.
View Quote
No they won’t. They will be assigned a public defender and the gun charges will get dropped or they will plea it down to dis con.

And everyone is of course glossing over the arrest for the handgun, which means it was illegally possessed. For anyone unfamiliar with Buffalo, that area is a complete, crime ridden shithole.

I am not excusing the unSAFE act or supporting it, but just because some person is charged with it, I’ve never understood why people here make a snap judgement that the offender is automatically a right wing, liberty loving, contributing member of society being unjustly targeted by jack booted thugs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No they won’t. They will be assigned a public defender and the gun charges will get dropped or they will plea it down to dis con.

And everyone is of course glossing over the arrest for the handgun, which means it was illegally possessed. For anyone unfamiliar with Buffalo, that area is a complete, crime ridden shithole.

I am not excusing the unSAFE act or supporting it, but just because some person is charged with it, I’ve never understood why people here make a snap judgement that the offender is automatically a right wing, liberty loving, contributing member of society being unjustly targeted by jack booted thugs.
View Quote
We all know that an unlicensed handgun will be a charge. However, an unSAFE-compliant magazine should not. Why do we care? Because nobody wants to get arrested for having 10 rd in a 10-rd magazine, which was ruled perfectly legal by the Court. I don't care if those guys were hood rats or upstanding citizens. What's right is right.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
The constitution supports the rights of the worst of society.  Otherwise we get the slow slide of laws like Jim Crow laws that initially are only used against bad guys then eventually are used against good guys.  Last i saw “shall not be infringed “ had no exemptions for unregistered handguns or pot owners.  Don’t like some people having guns then find a constitutional means to do so, not the easy cop out of violating 2A.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:27:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Buffalo does have a city level 5 round limit. As far as I can see it's the exact text we have in Rochester.

Soros or Bloomburg wrote it?

https://ecode360.com/11767297
View Quote
Buffalo and Rochester have 5 round limits?
Wtf.

Also, the 10 in a 10 rounder is BS regardless of the situation.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#25]
This is again an example of the difficulties of getting a good challenge. They tack the SAFE Act charges onto other violations for people you would not ever want to associate with. You never seem to get your fine upstanding citizen with a clean record, church deacon and pillar of the community. Perhaps that is a good thing but you wind up with defendants that you need to hold your nose with when they are being defended.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like a bunch of assholes got caught up and some dumb ass meter maid doesn’t know the laws.

That mag capacity charge will be tossed but sure sounds like they were packing without a permit so.

Buffalo cops can be ignorant as hell.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
[Deleted]

are we sure the "weapons charge" is for the handgun and not the mags? Seems odd to have an illegal handgun but have ten round mags, course driving around drinking doesn't sound like someone with a ccw
View Quote
Nothing in the article says that the handgun was illegal. It only mentions the unSAFE charges for the 10-rounders.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nothing in the article says that the handgun was illegal. It only mentions the unSAFE charges for the 10-rounders.
View Quote
"Foster and three passengers – identified in the report as Jalen M. Anderson, 24; David C. Williams Jr., 21; and Joshua A. Barnes, 27 – were charged with second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and unlawful possession of an ammunition feed device."

265.03 Criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree.

A  person  is  guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the second
 degree when:

(1) with intent to use  the  same  unlawfully  against  another,  such
 person:

(a) possesses a machine-gun; or

(b) possesses a loaded firearm; or

(c) possesses a disguised gun; or

(2) such person possesses five or more firearms;
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Take a good hard look at the Google Street View where they were stopped: What do you think of the neighborhood?
What would you do if you rolled up there?
The Sullivan Act is the most raciest, and archaic Law in the Country, one aimed at the suppression of handguns in a City four hundred miles away....right or wrong, the Law(s) are bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:27:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

"Foster and three passengers – identified in the report as Jalen M. Anderson, 24; David C. Williams Jr., 21; and Joshua A. Barnes, 27 – were charged with second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and unlawful possession of an ammunition feed device."

degree when:

person:

View Quote
I believe firearm for the purpose of that law is for somebody who doesn't have a permit
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wtf.

View Quote
Wait what? So your telling me I can’t have 10 rounds in my hand gun in Rochester?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#33]
NYC is 5 rounds on rifles and shotguns:

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/downloads/pdf/nysafeact_letter.pdf

Interesting that this 2013 NYPD letter states the limit of 7 in a 10 round magazine. The letter is still live on the NYC.GOV website and has no updates.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wait what? So your telling me I can't have 10 rounds in my hand gun in Rochester?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf.

Wait what? So your telling me I can't have 10 rounds in my hand gun in Rochester?
It's the fucking shitfuck of local preemption laws.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's the fucking shitfuck of local preemption laws.  
View Quote
Is that a yes or a no?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#36]
The local law would be above and beyond state law so yes, technically 10 rounds is no good.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Unconstitutional is unconstitutional. Supercedes local restrictions.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I believe firearm for the purpose of that law is for somebody who doesn't have a permit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

degree when:

person:

Yes. Not having a permit makes having a handgun illegal.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The local law would be above and beyond state law so yes, technically 10 rounds is no good.
View Quote
Is this just for Rochester city limits? Or Monroe county
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:35:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone know this?

I had no idea.  Wonder how many people are violating this unknowingly.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:15:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Unconstitutional is unconstitutional. Supercedes local restrictions.
View Quote
Now get the courts to agree with you
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Anyone know this?

I had no idea.  Wonder how many people are violating this unknowingly.
View Quote
Yeah your not kidding.. I thought 10 round was good to go after the judge a few years back struck down the 7 round limit issue.. so how do dealers even sell a handgun in Rochester? Does glock make a 5 Round mag? Does anyone one make 5 round pistol mags?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Its a City law, its a violation at best
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Pretty sure LONG guns in Rochester are limited to 5 round mags.

Handguns aren't part of that law.

Either way, ignore it. Unconstitutional BS.

Monroe County does not have a mag law at all.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I bet Andrew Hollister would be able to answer the mag capacity thing in Rochester question...
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Wasn't it actually 10 rounders are ok as long they're not loaded with more than 7 rounds in them? I was under the impression the court told the state that 7 round mags were not reasonabe so 10 rounders are ok as long not loaded with more than 7. Article says fully loaded so that's 10 rounds isn't it?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wasn't it actually 10 rounders are ok as long they're not loaded with more than 7 rounds in them? I was under the impression the court told the state that 7 round mags were not reasonabe so 10 rounders are ok as long not loaded with more than 7. Article says fully loaded so that's 10 rounds isn't it?
View Quote
No, the federal court ruled it was stupid to think that criminals would only load 7 rounds into a 10 round magazine, and was tossed out. Pretend the 7 round discussion never existed...

So NY State law says 10 round magazine, period. Load it, throw another in the chamber and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No, the federal court ruled it was stupid to think that criminals would only load 7 rounds into a 10 round magazine, and was tossed out. Pretend the 7 round discussion never existed...

So NY State law says 10 round magazine, period. Load it, throw another in the chamber and you are good to go.
View Quote
https://psanded.com/7-or-10-rounds/

"Chief U.S. District Judge William M. Skretny in Erie County, struck down the component that had made it illegal for individuals to load more than seven-rounds of ammunition into a magazine capable of holding 10-rounds. So Western NY was back to 10-rounds while Eastern NY was still at seven. Then the 2nd Circuit of the United States Court of Appeals upheld the lower-courts ruling! A small win, but a win nonetheless.

Unfortunately, that is not the final straw! A Judge or Court ruling does not change the law. Technically it is still law until the law is amended
."

Section 265.37 of the Penal law has not been changed by the legislature, and is still on the books. That's is how they were charged with it. Can't charge someone with a law that doesn't exist.

Unlawful possession of certain ammunition feeding devices.
It  shall  be unlawful for a person to knowingly possess an ammunition feeding device where such device contains more than seven rounds of ammunition.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I believe it is a Rochester city ordinance. Buffalo has something similar too
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top