Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2020 1:56:34 PM EDT
Anyone got a line on a recycler in San Diego that will take spent cartridge brass?

Called around a little bit and got the answers one might expect from a Ca business (Oooh NO we don't take THAT stuff!).

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Offer it up to a reloader? They’d likely happily cover shipping cost.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, I should have been more specific.  The brass is trash.  Bad range pickups, flattened, badly dented, split, etc., etc.

Been amassing these leftovers for about 6 or 7 years.  A nearly full 5 gallon bucket I can barely lift.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I've got a bunch, too.  Very little is reloadable.  I need to find someone in eastern L.A. County or adjacent parts of San Bernardino, Orange, or Riverside Counties who'll take brass.  I know they exist, I'm just not sure which places do so.  The only one I found that definitely does only picks up at your place (no drop-offs) for any and all types of scrap, and requires you to have hundreds of pounds to bother.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#5]
For the East LA/Riverside guy, McCoy Recycling in Rancho Cucamonga, 8975 Rochester.

They took a five gallon bucket of 223 brass about a year ago.  I assume they still do.  Give them a call.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:53:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll add that to my list of places to check out.  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Decap , clean it and most places will take it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#8]
If you just want to get rid of it, there are guys who drive around the neighborhoods who collect scrap metal of any and all types for recycling.  

They come around the day before trash gets picked up when everything has been put out but the trash man has not yet shown up.

Some have been doing this long enough, they have a phone number you can call them to come get the scrap.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Rather than just 'get rid of it' I'd rather get the recycling fee.  Some years ago, I got about $75 for the full 5 gallon bucket.

Maybe the price has changed somewhat, but I can do a lot with $75.

Ima keep lookin.

My thought was that others in my area would have a lead on this for a local place.  I know a place in the next county over but didn't want to make the drive if I didn't have to.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ppknut:
Rather than just 'get rid of it' I'd rather get the recycling fee.  Some years ago, I got about $75 for the full 5 gallon bucket.

Maybe the price has changed somewhat, but I can do a lot with $75.

Ima keep lookin. 

My thought was that others in my area would have a lead on this for a local place.  I know a place in the next county over but didn't want to make the drive if I didn't have to.
View Quote

That was the going rate a year or so ago, too.  I gave the bucket of scrap, non reloadable 233 to my son and said if he could find a place to take it he could keep the money.  The MCCoy place gave him about $80.

Anyway, good luck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Propane crusible, brass knuckles?
Just kidding, no one would ever do that!
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:59:56 AM EDT
[#12]
call ranges and ask what they do with their stuff?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Good Idea!  

I know one of the indoor ranges I used to go to had a service that picked it all up and did the processing/reloading, etc.

Other ranges may have a suitable recycler.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#14]
What about an indoor range like Glockstore? Even though the brass is trash it still has scrap value; can't imagine why they'd refuse it....it's free money to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top