Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2021 11:20:19 AM EDT
The Gotham Gazette reports on the candidates running for Manhattan District Attorney.

Democratic nominee Alvin Bragg makes this interesting admission:

" ...Bragg spoke about taking a nuanced approach to prosecuting gun crimes, citing certain instances of illegal possession where individuals should not be prosecuted. "My dad had a gun when I was young. It was unlawful, but it was to protect our home. I had him turn it in when he was 65. He was not a public safety risk. My position [on gun prosecution] are nuanced. They are born out of real experiences, both in the courtroom and personal that marry fairness and public safety," Bragg said  ..."

While it falls well short of a full endorsement, this is the most 2A positive statement I can ever recall seeing from a NYC-area Democrat candidate running for any office.

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Yet if it were anybody else other than his father and he were the DA, I would put $100 on nose that he would prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

Sounds no different than the oft quoted "I support the 2nd Amendment, but...".
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#2]
This means the 18 year old gang banger doesn't get charged, but the 35 year old construction worker will get hammered.

Also willing to bet the rich and vibrant will be taken into consideration of those charges.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This means the 18 year old gang banger doesn't get charged, but the 35 year old construction worker will get hammered.

Also willing to bet the rich and vibrant will be taken into consideration of those charges.
View Quote

The 18 y/o doesn't have any money so the State will have to pay for his Lawyer, Court Costs, Probation, etc.
The Construction Worker will spend every dime he has to stay out of Jail and in the end the State will maintain "control" over him.
The rich can afford a good Lawyer, The DA won't want to spend the time/money on prosecuting a "pillar of the Community" so a plea bargain with some petty charge will be accepted.

Prosecutors irrespective their blathering and rantings  DO NOT want to go to Trial: it cost a lot of money, takes a lot of Time, and when there's a chance of loosing, they'll accept a plea deal because it counts as a win, which is especially important in an election year or the public is on his ass for doing a shitty job.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#4]
This is the first time a black NYC Democrat acknowledged having a gun for self-defense.  That is a step forward.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top