Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2020 9:43:38 PM EDT
Considering the (upcoming) front license plate law, should I defile my new car and drill the front bumper for a plate bracket?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, even if it was required I wouldn't
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are worried, do it temporarily with wire ties
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I've lived in Ohio for 12 years

Never not one time have I had a front plate.

I've been ticketed for several things in that time, but not a plate

Fuck a dumbass law that makes me ruin the looks of a vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a big push by the naysayers to reinstate the front plate requirement before July of this year when you can officially take it off. It’s the usual suspects OSP, FOP, Police Chief associations, school boards, prosecutors association, RINO Republicans, Mikey Dewine, and even a select few members on this site which have a hard on to continue this nanny state law. They all cry the same shit.....safety, solve crimes, for the children, blood will run the streets etc. Yet they all refuse to acknowledge the fact that 19 other states, including EVERY SINGLE STATE THAT SURROUNDS OHIO, only require one plate without any problem and cannot provide any statistical evidence on the ability to solve crimes. The fact is that here in Ohio, there are too many of those that don’t want the rest of us to have a little bit of freedom. It’s all about control to them. My best advice is to write your reps and tell them to oppose the front plate reinstatement!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is a big push by the naysayers to reinstate the front plate requirement before July of this year when you can officially take it off. It’s the usual suspects OSP, FOP, Police Chief associations, school boards, prosecutors association, RINO Republicans, Mikey Dewine, and even a select few members on this site which have a hard on to continue this nanny state law. They all cry the same shit.....safety, solve crimes, for the children, blood will run the streets etc. Yet they all refuse to acknowledge the fact that 19 other states, including EVERY SINGLE STATE THAT SURROUNDS OHIO, only require one plate without any problem and cannot provide any statistical evidence on the ability to solve crimes. The fact is that here in Ohio, there are too many of those that don’t want the rest of us to have a little bit of freedom. It’s all about control to them. My best advice is to write your reps and tell them to oppose the front plate reinstatement!
View Quote
If front license plate is repealed then the gas tax increase better go with it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Any LEO thought of ticketing cars where the rear plate is rusted/corroded to where you can't read it ? I see those from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Linking the two is absurd. The cost of a front plate is a few bucks a year. The cost of gas tax going up is a few bucks per fill-up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Linking the two is absurd. The cost of a front plate is a few bucks a year. The cost of gas tax going up is a few bucks per fill-up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting rid of the front license plate was part of the raised tax negotiations.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and it's absurd
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Any LEO thought of ticketing cars where the rear plate is rusted/corroded to where you can't read it ? I see those from time to time.
View Quote
I have never written a ticket for that.  I have given warnings for it, but I barely write enough tickets to keep my Sgt off my back.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Shootar

Or shoatar or whoever here in OHTF will be along to tell us how we will all fall in line and praise the front plate soon
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Shootar

Or shoatar or whoever here in OHTF will be along to tell us how we will all fall in line and praise the front plate soon
View Quote
This was all discussed in another thread from just days ago
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've lived in Ohio for 12 years

Never not one time have I had a front plate.

I've been ticketed for several things in that time, but not a plate

Fuck a dumbass law that makes me ruin the looks of a vehicle.
View Quote
I've been here forever; can't remember the last time I had front plates. My wife got a warning once.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been pulled over recently by the OSHP for no license plate. Did not get a ticket but got a warning. I have 2 cars with no provisions for a front plate and I'm not putting any on.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been pulled over recently by the OSHP for no license plate. Did not get a ticket but got a warning. I have 2 cars with no provisions for a front plate and I'm not putting any on.
View Quote
You should have asked the trooper why he pulled you over- not having a front plate is a secondary offense, meaning they have to have a primary offense (speeding, tail light out, wreckless driving, failure to maintain a single lane, etc) as the reason to pull you over.

The cops know this of course, but they bet on the chance that you don't know it.

An easy way is to just ask "So you pulled me over for not having a front plate? You're sure?"... generally they catch what you are getting at and leave you on your way with a warning. You can also fight it in court and its an easy win.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You should have asked the trooper why he pulled you over- not having a front plate is a secondary offense, meaning they have to have a primary offense (speeding, tail light out, wreckless driving, failure to maintain a single lane, etc) as the reason to pull you over.

The cops know this of course, but they bet on the chance that you don't know it.

An easy way is to just ask "So you pulled me over for not having a front plate? You're sure?"... generally they catch what you are getting at and leave you on your way with a warning. You can also fight it in court and its an easy win.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect. Displaying only one plate is a primary offense. Really, unless you look like a junkie, crum bum, or a suspicious person, you will not be hassled by most police for not displaying a front plate.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4503.21v1
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Incorrect. Displaying only one plate is a primary offense. Really, unless you look like a junkie, crum bum, or a suspicious person, you will not be hassled by most police for not displaying a front plate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure looks like a secondary offense...

(B) A law enforcement officer shall only issue a ticket, citation, or summons, or cause the arrest or commence a prosecution, for the failure to display a license plate in plain view on the front of a parked motor vehicle if the officer first determines that another offense has occurred and either places the operator or vehicle owner under arrest or issues a ticket, citation, or summons to the operator or vehicle owner for the other offense.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(B) A law enforcement officer shall only issue a ticket, citation, or summons, or cause the arrest or commence a prosecution, for the failure to display a license plate in plain view on the front of a parked motor vehicle if the officer first determines that another offense has occurred and either places the operator or vehicle owner under arrest or issues a ticket, citation, or summons to the operator or vehicle owner for the other offense.
Reread that section and notice the words "parked motor vehicle".  If the vehicle is being driven, it is a primary offense.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Reread that section and notice the words "parked motor vehicle".  If the vehicle is being driven, it is a primary offense.
View Quote
Ah gotcha, I totally missed "parked" right there. I saw it in the later words.

I received a ticket while parked at a Short North meter. After reading this, I'm surprised they can do that. Unless this section of law has changed from 15 years ago, or Columbus somehow has authority to write laws about State car registration (or I got duped. I wouldn't put it past Columbus).
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#21]
My buddy was in a caravan going to Mopar Nats in his slammed Challenger. He got stopped for no plate OSHP and they were going to tow the car. One of the other guys ended up putting the Challenger on a trailer because the other car had a front plate. It took them an hour plus to get the Challenger on a trailer because it was so low.

Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top