Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2019 12:37:49 PM EDT
Got a text from a friend that the IA House passed a bill, didn't even know it was being discussed. Anyone who follows such things think it has a chance in hell of being passed? I just might get to kill a deer with my M1 after all.

I've said for years the jackasses who would take an unsafe shot are out there already doing it illegally. Maybe they're coming to their senses after 2 years of straight wall not causing a large body count?
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the language in the bill says only in calibers .357 to 50 for bottle neck ammunition. I could be wrong.

If that's the case and if it passes, long shot in my opinion, a 35 whelen would be a fine addition to my safe.

416 Rigby?
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
35 Remington lever action would be the bomb.

kwg
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe the language in the bill says only in calibers .357 to 50 for bottle neck ammunition. I could be wrong.
View Quote
That's how I read it.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=88&ba=HF716
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I support the idea. .35-.50"

Also lets kids handgun hunt and forces the DNR to recognize the right definition of a pistol!
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#5]
In the interest of discussion, what commonly available rifle cartridges would this make available?

My smart ass side says .50 BMG is would be a legal deer cartridge. But what are more reasonable "deer sized" cartridges?

This would bring in the afore mentioned .35 Whelen (a true classic), .458 SOCOM, .338 Win Mag. What else?

ETA: The .338 Win Mag would NOT be legal (<.357). Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Over at Iowa whitetail forum in the legislative tab there is a long thread on the subject. It goes into detail on what cartridges can be used and other aspects of the proposal.

Needless to say all the bow hunters are pissed off, they will be nose diving off their tree stands if this bill is signed by Gov Reynolds.

I just hope this doesn't end the tradition of the Iowa deer drive. That would ruin it for me personally.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a way to add more handgun rounds then-.357 Sig, .400 Cor-Bon etc. I should have known they wouldn't let the big, scary .30-30 and .30-06 in.

As for drives, the guys who like them can have them. After shooting deer from a stand I'll never drive hunt  again.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow - I went over to that forum just to nose around a bit and man some of those guys are really bent outta shape about the new purposed changes.  Some of them act like its going to bring extinction to the Iowa Whitetail.

My personal opinion of it - if they are going to do it I think a narrowed caliber choice of .243 to .308 would be more than plenty as alot of the calibers on the list are wayyy over kill but thats just my .02 and due to inflation that aint worth much.  I love the 450Bushmaster so even if they decided vote and pass that new law I wont be switching anyway.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Some of them act like its going to bring extinction to the Iowa Whitetail.
View Quote
I want to preface these remarks with saying I'm not against bow hunting or the folks that choose that hunting method and no other. I appreciate the challenge of it.

But for petes sake some of these guys are nuts. The Iowa bow hunter has been coddled far too long. They have every advantage at taking nice bucks because they get the rut all to themselves. In my opinion they can have it, I dont hunt whitetail for the antlers.

They claim it's a conservation issue. I happen to know one bow hunter who wounded 3 big bucks last season, two were found dead this spring btw, before finally getting a real trophy. They are just upset that gun hunters are going to get more shots at good deer that wont walk under their stand in the future. They believe their big racked deer might go extinct is more like it. They made a similar stink about the strait wall bill two years ago.

With cwd and other diseases ravaging the deer heard because of over population a few more cartridge choices couldn't hurt.

Edit: I forgot to mention crop damage and increased auto collisions. Also with less hunters in the field every year we need to look at all options for including more hunters.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#11]
There are some who feel that the real hunters only hunt with bow and arrow. As an Indian guide I know in Montana once told me who only hunts with a rifle: "We had bow and arrows and lost the war, need I say more?"

Moral superiority cannot be claimed because of the tool used to hunt. There are still lot's of trophy deer in states all around Iowa that allow rifles for deer hunting. If you look at the five year running accident numbers, it's far safer to stand hunt with high power rifles than it is to hunt in drives with shotgun slugs.

Numbers harvested are controlled by permits issued, not the tools used to take deer. Slugs carry a far higher risk than centerfire rifles.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?37208-Shotgun-slugs-safer-than-rifles-challenged-(hunting-and-ricochets)

If you think it trough, slugs skip along the ground much like a skipping stone does on water.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There are some who feel that the real hunters only hunt with bow and arrow. As an Indian guide I know in Montana once told me who only hunts with a rifle: "We had bow and arrows and lost the war, need I say more?"

Moral superiority cannot be claimed because of the tool used to hunt. There are still lot's of trophy deer in states all around Iowa that allow rifles for deer hunting. If you look at the five year running accident numbers, it's far safer to stand hunt with high power rifles than it is to hunt in drives with shotgun slugs.

Numbers harvested are controlled by permits issued, not the tools used to take deer. Slugs carry a far higher risk than centerfire rifles.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?37208-Shotgun-slugs-safer-than-rifles-challenged-(hunting-and-ricochets)

If you think it trough, slugs skip along the ground much like a skipping stone does on water.
View Quote
That's the same argument I kept having with a lot of old fudds around here.

We have a group of ten or so guys that do drives. We are all cautious as all get out when it comes to shooting. We weeded out the idiots years ago. It's the way I grew up hunting and dont want it to end.

Some of us do use the new strait wall rifles. But if this legislation was to pass I doubt any of us would use them driving deer. Now in the evening when some of us sit in blinds is a different story.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd probably go 358 Winchester
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was talking about exactly this with a friend today. For now, I'll keep using my .45-70 though. It sounds like overkill but comparing projectile weight and velocity it's very close to a 12 gauge slug, and it's easier to shoot well.

There's absolutely no reason they can't add .30-30 to the list(other than "it's a scary bottleneck high power"). Very similar effective range for anyone being realistic, and lower recoil than a lot of approved calibers. I know it's milder to shoot than my .450, and it's a lot milder than .45-70, even with trapdoor-safe loads. .308, .30-06 and similar? I understand their reasoning but don't agree. All those rounds are legal for coyotes, and after some of the stories I've heard from certain coyote "hunters" I won't even hunt ducks with them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like this bill is going to die in committee. Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sounds like this bill is going to die in committee. Oh well.
View Quote
Way? and that's a pisser
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Dang, I'm pretty bummed after reading this. I am in no way a caliber expert but I think .35+ seems a little overkill? Anything .243+ would be my dream! 6.5CM, .270, .308? Now we're talking!
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#18]
30-30 was seriously not going to be allowed if it did pass? how does that make any sense?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
30-30 was seriously not going to be allowed if it did pass? how does that make any sense?
View Quote
The way people are making it sound it was going to be allowing things like bottleneck pistol calibers(.357 Sig, .400 Cor-Bon,etc) in carbines. Can't have those scary long range rifles in the deer woods, even though they get used on coyotes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#20]
i don't get why they would have considered a plethora of bottleneck cartridges and found them suitable, but the most used round is not allowed, even though it's a bottleneck.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:50:19 PM EDT
[#21]
that would make sense on their FUDDtastic part i guess.

is there a caliber restriction when coyote hunting? .50BMG sounds like a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

is there a caliber restriction when coyote hunting? .50BMG sounds like a good idea.
View Quote
None that I've ever heard of, but if you use a .50 and get your license checked, good luck convincing the officer you're hunting coyotes.

And if you get one with it, post pics.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I think it is just ridiculous that they cannot settle on something.  Everyone gets all geared up for 450 bushmaster, then they push this shit through.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think it is just ridiculous that they cannot settle on something.  Everyone gets all geared up for 450 bushmaster, then they push this shit through.
View Quote
Did it pass?
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Did it pass?
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Bottleneck did not pass. Still straight wall.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
+1.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As for drives, the guys who like them can have them. After shooting deer from a stand I'll never drive hunt  again.
+1.
I agree. I don't hunt with enough people anymore to do a drive anyway.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top