Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2023 11:45:45 PM EDT
I'm keeping my eye out for some acreage in NE PA.  I'm in the Lehigh Valley Area for most of my life but I'd like to build a small off-grid cabin up north within an hour or so of me.  However, it absolutely has to be in an area that allows target shooting on private property.  I'm having a little difficulty figuring out what specific areas to consider.  Initially it was suggested that I call the sheriff's office.  So I randomly choose Carbon County Sheriff.  They directed me to local police.  Local police directed me to the individual borough/municipality office.  

I figure it'd just be quicker to ask here as some of you may live up there and might be able to help me out with some info.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I reside in Wyoming County. This area, and points west are probably what you seek. It's a little further away but with much less population density.
Sitting on my deck I frequently hear homes/ farms nearby getting in their target practice.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nickds:
I reside in Wyoming County. This area, and points west are probably what you seek. It's a little further away but with much less population density.
Sitting on my deck I frequently hear homes/ farms nearby getting in their target practice.
View Quote

Appreciate the reply.  Yes, definitely too far away.  Wouldn't be able to build, spend weekends, etc.....it'd be a big chunk of the day just driving.

Looking at Pike, Monroe, and Carbon counties for now.  

Thanks though!
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Shohola township has a nuisance ordnance - it explicitly says gunfire does not qualify as a noise nuisance.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
Shohola township has a nuisance ordnance - it explicitly says gunfire does not qualify as a noise nuisance.  
View Quote

Now THAT sounds like my kinda place!  I've seen a few pieces of land there.  Nothing looked remote though.  

I'll add it to the list of places to keep an eye on though....thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I work in the valley and live up on near Monroe. Looking for a house currently. The market is insane and large parcels of land are few and far between.

I'd suggest going up north more, carbon or Luzurne.
Further from Jersey the better.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Pav56C:
I work in the valley and live up on near Monroe. Looking for a house currently. The market is insane and large parcels of land are few and far between.

I'd suggest going up north more, carbon or Luzurne.
Further from Jersey the better.
View Quote

Not sure that expansion of the radius is going to matter much.  See eastern PA is really in a sweet spot geographically speaking.  It's within 2 hours or so of NYC, Jersey shore, DC, Baltimore, Philly, etc.  So further west would seem to be a better solution comparatively speaking.  But yes, definitely open to those counties.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Emt1581:

Not sure that expansion of the radius is going to matter much.  See eastern PA is really in a sweet spot geographically speaking.  It's within 2 hours or so of NYC, Jersey shore, DC, Baltimore, Philly, etc.  So further west would seem to be a better solution comparatively speaking.  But yes, definitely open to those counties.

Thanks
View Quote

Absolutely, I think I'm very spoiled living in this area.

We're you talking buying to relocate? Or just as a weekend retreat?

A bit of a drive, but my FIL has property in Sullivan County. (2-3 hours drive for us) and it's the best place on earth.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#8]
“Were you talking buying to relocate? Or just as a weekend retreat?”

Pretty good question. I live in Jackson Township, Monroe county. It’s located on the backside of Big Pocono Mountain… the frontside is camelback ski area. There is no limitation on shooting in this township other than having a safe backstop, but even that is not codified in a township ordnance…

This township has a lot of farm space and backs up to state game lands so shooting is a daily thing here.

OTOH, real estate is tight anywhere in Monroe county, land plot size is small, costs are up, not just due to the fact that you are 1.5 hours from NYC, but also it looks like rail service will be available once again  in the next few years…so there’s that.

Been looking myself at sizable plots in north central PA… I think my time is done here
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Pav56C:

Absolutely, I think I'm very spoiled living in this area.

We're you talking buying to relocate? Or just as a weekend retreat?

A bit of a drive, but my FIL has property in Sullivan County. (2-3 hours drive for us) and it's the best place on earth.
View Quote

Sorry, missed this one.

Weekend retreat.

I just typed that our next home would be located out of state (further south).  However, once I typed it a few things popped into my mind that may change things....

1.  We plan on moving further south at some point (a specific part of Florida near a LOT of family).
2.  That Florida home might be a snow-bird nest of sorts so we'd have the home there but to escape the extreme heat/humidity of Florida Summers elsewhere.
3.  Land is so expensive in eastern PA and we want significant acreage so we were thinking Kentucky/Tennessee/the better of the 2 Carolina's for our next home to die in.  
4.  If we did buy a small parcel in NE PA, considering what we plan to do in the future with FL and our next primary home.....what becomes of the parcel/cabin?  

The search for land was started because of always wanting a tiny off-grid cabin but when looking at our future plans for primary living, I'm not sure how it all fits together.  

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top