Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2023 11:14:57 PM EDT
Hello.

We are looking for something to do and are considering a quick half day trip down to Boone, IA.  No real reason I picked Boone, it's just just the result of a quick Google search for hiking near an airport.

We are just looking for a short hike somewhere interesting, a good lunch, and then bomb back home.  We are not expecting Yosemite and a Michelin star experience.

Is Ledges State Park an interesting hike this time of year?

And is Whatcha Smokin BBQ good?

Thanks,

Corey
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Ledges would be much more fun in April or May.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ledges would be much more fun in April or May.
View Quote

Yeah, but it's January.

I'm just looking for an excuse to fly somewhere, grab some good lunch, and get outside for a bit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Ledges is a very popular hiking spot and for a good reason. It is really cool when the creek is trickling over the road as you drive/walk through the pass. Whatcha Smokin is the best bbq I've ever had but the wait times can be long on the weekends. Expect a the last 3 times I've tried going, they had a 1-2hr wait
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#4]
So if they open at 11:00, we should be in line at 10:30?

We will have fun on a winter walk.  Just seeing something different than what we are used to maybe.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Would Pikes Peak State Park be more interesting to see?  Hmmmm, we could just go to Prairie du Chien.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Do it. Although not the best time of year, you will still have a good time hiking & BBQ at Whatcha Smoking is pretty darn good. I live about an hour away from there & do that same hike/meal about twice a year.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#7]
So if the restaurant opens at 11:00 a.m., and we don't want to spent a bunch of our time waiting in line, what is the best time to get there?  We are willing to do a late lunch but don't want them to be out of BBQ.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I've gotten there around 11am several times and have not had to wait long for food (10min).  If you wait until noon or after, your wait could be awhile.  It depends on the day.  The place has one side for dine-in and one side for takeout customers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks. We might just end up going to somewhere closer for this trip.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So if they open at 11:00, we should be in line at 10:30?

We will have fun on a winter walk.  Just seeing something different than what we are used to maybe.
View Quote

If you get there at 11, you'll be fine. Anytime after noon is a pretty long wait. It'll probably be less in the winter though since you don't have the Des Moines crowd hitting it up after a hike in Ledges like you do when the weather is nice.

I live in Boone so feel free to contact me if you have any more question
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you get there at 11, you'll be fine. Anytime after noon is a pretty long wait. It'll probably be less in the winter though since you don't have the Des Moines crowd hitting it up after a hike in Ledges like you do when the weather is nice.

I live in Boone so feel free to contact me if you have any more question
View Quote

Thanks!  Maybe we will get there in the summer when we can hike in that stream, but for this upcoming trip I think we are going someplace a bit closer like Wyalusing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Ledges is a great park for it's location. It might not be spectacular for someone that lives in the driftless area of NE IA / SW WI but for here in the middle of flat Iowa it's a real gem.

Whatcha Smokin is great food!

What do you fly?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Archer for this trip.

I've flown over IL north to south before, and it is flat flat flat!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:39:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Archer for this trip.

I've flown over IL north to south before, and it is flat flat flat!
View Quote

I learned to fly out of 3MY and all my cross country flights were spread out over central IL.

Yeah, not a lot of topography.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Great advice here already, just dropping in to add another vote for excellent BBQ in Luther.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Would Pikes Peak State Park be more interesting to see?  Hmmmm, we could just go to Prairie du Chien.
View Quote

Pikes peak is pretty cool and across the river in Wisconsin there is a really nice state park
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes we were going to go to Wyalusing State Park but the ceilings were too low all morning.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Ledges is awesome in the summer.....

Whatcha Smokin' in Luther has amazing food....

The pulled pork is mediocre. But the fatty brisket, lean brisket, and smoked sausage is very very good.

They also have a AMAZING peach cobbler. But that is seasonal and in the summer only.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks, we will have to make a trip over in the summer then!
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top