Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2020 5:15:15 AM EDT
Taking into consideration the current attack on America's second amendment.  With Democratic presidential candidates threatening to use the military to attack it's own citizens with everything from fighter jet strikes to nukes it's clear that they are as delusional as they are irrational.  In short, they are nuttier than a squirrel turd.

I've always thought it's not a terrible idea to have a plate carrier in the bedroom in case of a break in although I've never actually bought one or been concerned enough to think it justified the cost.

With the elections ramping up and the anti gun democratic rhetoric becoming more and more violent I've started thinking about it again.  I've heard of folks wearing them to the range for protection against folks with terrible gun handling skills but I don't see that being an issue.  The home break in issue is legit in my opinion.  It's fast and easy to slip into a plate carrier if it's stored in the right way.  Wasn't enough of a reason for me though.

The attack on our constitution will, unfortunately, only get worse without some kind of decisive ruling by the Supreme Court and they aren't well known for doing such things. Also considering the rise of bad guys wearing body armor and the fact that democrats want to make it illegal for civilians.  Should they gain power they will ban body armor as well as guns.

Do you think investing in body armor is a wise investment or folly?  Not so much for me, I'm too old and gimped up to go seriously toe to toe with a heavy military force trying to enforce unconstitutional laws, but other folks in general?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Getting shot kinda sucks so why not?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Getting shot kinda sucks so why not?
View Quote
Yeah I still have one but I didn't buy it. I don't have the plates to go with the vest but the vest is rated for .44mag.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a plate carrier, plates and an ACH. I live in Tulsa, my set up isn’t for a home invasion - in that scenario there wouldn’t be time for it.

My set up, is for the very highly unlikely chance of civil unrest. Now, I spent over 20 years in the military; so I always play the long odds. I’ve seen way too many of those freak one in a million “never gonna happen” weird occurrences, actually happen. Next on my list, is some form of protective mask - I’ve neglected this for way too long. I honestly think a pro mask is much more likely to be used.

You can invest in plates and a carrier fairly inexpensively.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:55:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I've bought 2 plate carriers and 3 sets of plates.  I plan to buy a 3rd PC, but I'm not sure which one yet.

PC #1 is an AR500 Veritas holding AR500 Level III steel plates with no build-up coat.  I did not actually buy this setup to use as armor.  I bought it to use as a weight vest.  It also sports a 3-mag insert for the kangaroo pouch and 3 2-mag pouches for a total of 9 30-round magazines.  All told, the setup weighs about 28 pounds (according to my fish scale).  Since I bought it to use as a weight vest, I'd say "mission accomplished."

PC #2 is a Blue Force gear Plateminus, and I've got Hesco L210s in it.  I need to decide on a pouch setup for this one and get it into fighting shape.  I'm thinking of keeping this one fairly lightweight, so it may only get a 3-mag shingle for 30 round mags, a slim/basic IFAK, and a small admin pouch to cover batteries (light/laser and red dot) and other essentials.

PC #3 is still indeterminate, but it will get the Hesco 4400s I have.

Make of that what you will.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:40:32 AM EDT
[#5]
More popular than I thought.  I have an ACH but it was for collecting purposes.  I suppose it may protect my melon should things go sideways.  My sis and I both have high quality gas masks although we don't have any filters for them.  Kind of makes the high quality part kind of pointless without them.

If things in the world continue as they have so far I may have to look into some body armor.  Mainly just to protect me as I'm bugging out.  I'm no warrior these days.  I can still shoot pretty damn well though at least.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a spiritus systems lv119 overt carrier with level IV stand alone plates from AR500
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top