Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2021 5:06:02 AM EDT
Got up to Blue trails yesterday to do some shooting with my Son and Daughter in law.
It had been a couple of years since last time I was able to get up there.
I was shocked the place was packed!
I noticed the whole place had been remodeled.
Didn't recognize anybody working there, I was wondering if it was under new ownership?
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Good to hear!  I haven't been there in 8-9years.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't think its under "new" management. However the owner did pass away back in 2017.

They closed the 200 yard range over 10 years ago and put in the barriers on the rifle range at that same time to force shooting from the bench after the "magic bullet strike" on a house on the other side of the hill from the range incident many years ago.

For those who don't remember (or were not old enough at the time) there were/are a number of home owners around Blue Trail who've been trying to get the range shut down for over a decade. They enlisted the local media's help to run a number of hit pieces on the range. This included the infamous video with a WTNH reporter with a handful of empty casings claiming they're "bullets", which she stated she found in the forest, which is on the other side of the pond from the range. The media breathlessly ran stories about houses having bullet strikes. With one of the houses being on the other side of the hill opposite the forest, lake and range (aka the "magic bullet strike" under the roof overhang). It is well known people shoot in that forest opposite the range/pond. There was even a rumor that one of the home owners who filed suit against the range  for bullet strikes shot their own guns in the forest around their home. Blue Trail has been investigated several times by state police who concluded they could not determine that the homes were struck by bullets from the range. But they were forced to close and implement a whole host of improvements and changes. When they failed to get the range shut down over bullet strikes, they moved to claiming lead contamination in the pond's water (among other things). Never mind that the area used to be a test range during WWII and several enviro studies found no appreciable rise in lead contamination in that area or the pond.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't think its under "new" management. However the owner did pass away back in 2017.

They closed the 200 yard range over 10 years ago and put in the barriers on the rifle range at that same time to force shooting from the bench after the "magic bullet strike" on a house on the other side of the hill from the range incident many years ago.

For those who don't remember (or were not old enough at the time) there were/are a number of home owners around Blue Trail who've been trying to get the range shut down for over a decade. They enlisted the local media's help to run a number of hit pieces on the range. This included the infamous video with a WTNH reporter with a handful of empty casings claiming they're "bullets", which she stated she found in the forest, which is on the other side of the pond from the range. The media breathlessly ran stories about houses having bullet strikes. With one of the houses being on the other side of the hill opposite the forest, lake and range (aka the "magic bullet strike" under the roof overhang). It is well known people shoot in that forest opposite the range/pond. There was even a rumor that one of the home owners who filed suit against the range  for bullet strikes shot their own guns in the forest around their home. Blue Trail has been investigated several times by state police who concluded they could not determine that the homes were struck by bullets from the range. But they were forced to close and implement a whole host of improvements and changes. When they failed to get the range shut down over bullet strikes, they moved to claiming lead contamination in the pond's water (among other things). Never mind that the area used to be a test range during WWII and several enviro studies found no appreciable rise in lead contamination in that area or the pond.
View Quote

That was the original Karening.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That was the original Karening.
View Quote

Yep. Range has been there for ever. People move in knowing there is a range in the area, then proceed to bitch to the media, complain to the town, and file lawsuits, etc.

There was one persistent rumor; the "one guy" who bought that one house on the other side of the hill that got the magic bullet strike was trying to get the range shut down so the land could be bought up and developed either by him, his family, or a friend. Whole thing was a shit show from end to end and just reeked of someone wanting to bankrupt the range's owners through lawfare to get their hands on that land.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't been to the rifle range since they put up the barriers and closed the 200 range. I have been to the shotgun field as recently as a year ago.

I thought I saw somewhere that they allow prone at the rifle range. I could be wrong. Can anybody confirm?
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Irreverent but I always wondered if this Lyman family has any relation to Lyman Products and the Lyman Orchards folks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought I saw somewhere that they allow prone at the rifle range. I could be wrong. Can anybody confirm?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes. Its mentioned on their website.

https://www.bluetrailrange.com/firearms-store/

Shooting Mat Rentals
Only $5 per day!

Want to shoot in the prone position (laying down)?  You asked – we provide!  Register in the Gun Store for one of the special firing points to shoot prone at 50- or 100-yards.  Don’t have a shooting mat?  Rent one for $5!  FREE to customers with a Blue Trail Range membership.
https://www.bluetrailrange.com/shooting-range/outdoor-shooting-range/

NEW!  We now offer shooting prone at 50- and 100-yards.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Lyman gunsight (now lyman products) , blue trail range, Lyman orchards and golf course were all the same family a couple of generations back.

Lyman products was sold off to some corporate group.
Orchard and golf operation still run by one branch of the Lyman family and the range was another branch
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep. Range has been there for ever. People move in knowing there is a range in the area, then proceed to bitch to the media, complain to the town, and file lawsuits, etc.

There was one persistent rumor; the "one guy" who bought that one house on the other side of the hill that got the magic bullet strike was trying to get the range shut down so the land could be bought up and developed either by him, his family, or a friend. Whole thing was a shit show from end to end and just reeked of someone wanting to bankrupt the range's owners through lawfare to get their hands on that land.
View Quote

I've been duck hunting Quinnipiac Meadows in North Haven for 30 years.  People starting building condos and houses near the marsh lands and started complaining about the shooting during the hunting season until the state closed down the area.  Guys have been hunting in there probably more than 50 years.  Never any houses near by but the state sided with them.  You build near wetlands and then complain about the hunting.  Bunch of turds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top