Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2022 9:29:34 AM EDT
We will finally be closing the loop today on a 52 year journey of reuniting a lost Zippo with it's owner, along with the actual vehicle it was lost in. Don hasn't seen the Zippo or the infamous V100 since 1970 Vietnam. In preparation, we gave a sponge bath to the V100 and cleaned up a bit in the shop. Pictures to follow.

Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome!  I'm looking forward to hearing about the reunion!
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool! It looks awesome, you guys did a fantastic job.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Don Tillman in '70

Don's first time in 52 years being able to lay hands on the vehicle he knew well

Would you believe he asked if it would be ok to climb in? "Of course Don, and while you're at it could you autograph this helmet?"

Don started up the side of the vehicle and before he got to the top he asked "should I take my shoes off" and I replied "did you have them off the last time you were up there?" and with a big ole grin he climbed on top.

This was the spot he dropped the Zippo 52 years ago and the same spot where I put it in his hand, and as I did I said "last time you climbed out of here without it"

Since the original Don Tillman Zippo is going home with it's owner, I asked Don if he'd mind personalizing my copy of it.

There were many more pictures that I will share later, but these were a few highlights. Meeting Don and his wife was a pleasure as both of them were as excited as kids on Christmas morning...just one of those things you'd have to experience, and I am just grateful I was able to.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#4]
What a great story! Must have been quite a day for him.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Fantastic story and thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome!!!

This story and the pics made my day
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm glad he got his money's worth out of that Zippo!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#9]
We have a "Blood Sweat and Tears" facebook page and just added an album with more pictures.

Don Tillman Album
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#11]
What a great story with a happy ending!

I’m sure it was a bit dusty there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes Sir and yes it was...
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for what you did, your time and finances invested in this and for sharing it with us!
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thank you for what you did, your time and finances invested in this and for sharing it with us!
View Quote

Considering how rare good news and stories with happy endings are these days, it would be a crime not to share this one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I stumbled upon the facebook pictures without much description attached but figured it out.  You guys did a great job. Thanks for making his day.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#16]
He really kept himself in good shape, amazing story.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I stumbled upon the facebook pictures without much description attached but figured it out.  You guys did a great job. Thanks for making his day.
View Quote

Thanks for the kind words. We are working on a complete story that will tie everything together nicely.

Quoted:
He really kept himself in good shape, amazing story.
View Quote

He sure did. I've never seen anyone climb aboard the way Don did. I could tell he's done it many times...even if it was 52 years ago.

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Making progress on the turret parts. The original finish on this fire control box was removed and white Cerakote and laser engraving/color fill replaced the ink stamped markings. This control box mounted on the traversing gearbox and controlled the twin M73 mg's

We will re-wrap the wiring harness before we reinstall it to give it the final restored touch.

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Making progress on the turret parts. The original finish on this fire control box was removed and white Cerakote and laser engraving/color fill replaced the ink stamped markings. This control box mounted on the traversing gearbox and controlled the twin M73 mg's

We will re-wrap the wiring harness before we reinstall it to give it the final restored touch.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/924/A9IspI.jpg
View Quote

I'm not sure what the appropriate song would be, but it needs something like this.

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Definitely a good choice. We have a few MP3 songs from the era (including that one) loaded into a vintage looking transistor radio that will be part of the display.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Definitely a good choice. We have a few MP3 songs from the era (including that one) loaded into a vintage looking transistor radio that will be part of the display.
View Quote

Not sure if you have any need for such hardware, but if anyone here does it would be you.

M34 Tank Periscope Assembly, Complete, for M60 & M60A1 Tanks,
https://www.apexgunparts.com/m34-tank-periscope-complete-excellent.html
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#22]
That's pretty awesome!  Have you contacted the Zippo museum in Bradford, PA?  I'm sure they'd like to add this to their display.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not sure if you have any need for such hardware, but if anyone here does it would be you.

M34 Tank Periscope Assembly, Complete, for M60 & M60A1 Tanks,
https://www.apexgunparts.com/m34-tank-periscope-complete-excellent.html
View Quote

Found a M28 periscope there that caught my attention.

Quoted:
That's pretty awesome!  Have you contacted the Zippo museum in Bradford, PA?  I'm sure they'd like to add this to their display.
View Quote

Thank you. I haven't heard of the Zippo museum before this.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I was forwarded a link to this M113 which bears the same name "Blood Sweat and Tears" and the caption associated with the photo reads "We had a slight problem one day. Bravo Co., 4th Bn., 23 Inf. Reg., 25th Inf. Div. 1970"

Although it isn't the photo of our V100 I had been searching for, it does give some hope that one may be found.

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Someone should post a link to this in GD more people need to see the great work WGT has done on this project.

Outstanding.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top