Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2018 8:36:10 PM EDT
Went by there today whilst out on patrol. Not bad looking still. Lotta shotgun shells and some brass but no piles of trash and the shooting tables and the one prone platform all still look nice.

Smelled like piss around the area, but meh.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Where is this located?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#2]
South Forrest County on New York road. 2.5 miles east of the Ashe Nursery Rd and New York Rd intersection. It's on a dirt road that's maintained fairly well. After a rain you can expect the typical dirt road problems.

There are signs once you get on old 49 S, Yeaton Spur Rd, and New York Rd near the Ashe Lake recreation area.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I dragged alot of the trash from down range to the trashcans a few weeks ago.  USDA/NFS was collecting trash that day (had already done one run). It was really trashed in January.

Some assholes dumped a few deer carcasses along the edge of the parking lot last month too.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks bullet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dragged alot of the trash from down range to the trashcans a few weeks ago.  USDA/NFS was collecting trash that day (had already done one run). It was really trashed in January.

Some assholes dumped a few deer carcasses along the edge of the parking lot last month too.
View Quote
This is why we can't have nice things...
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you @stolenheron. One day we may need to schedule a local meet and greet there. I have a dueling tree we can enjoy as well as a large steel silhouette on a wooden a-frame.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thank you @stolenheron. One day we may need to schedule a local meet and greet there. I have a dueling tree we can enjoy as well as a large steel silhouette on a wooden a-frame.
View Quote
I'd be down.  Send me a PM when you feel like going.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Been shooting there since the early 1990s. The conditions fluctuate. Sometimes it looks pretty nice and sometimes I haul out a whole truckload of garbage.

Still, it's free and pretty close to Hattiesburg, so I used it a lot when I still lived in the area. I miss it a lot. I also miss the little "gravel pit range" that used to be right beside the Longleaf Trace in Epley. That's where my avatar pic was taken.

The ranges in the Dallas area are nicer by an order of magnitude, but they're insanely expensive to use, and literally covered in fees, rules, prohibitions, surcharges, taxes and endless horse shit that basically sucks all the fun out of shooting.

Be thankful y'all have public ranges to use at all. Everything is on a pay-as-you-go basis in Dallas, and getting more expensive all the time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Y'all ever see the "Brass Vulture" around anymore? He used to come out and smoke a dog turd cigar while greedily watching every single piece of brass that came out of your ejection port. Sometimes, he'd even be up on the firing line, gathering brass out from under shooters. He did that with me one time, and I told him I reloaded, so get lost. He was a character.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
South Forrest County on New York road. 2.5 miles east of the Ashe Nursery Rd and New York Rd intersection. It's on a dirt road that's maintained fairly well. After a rain you can expect the typical dirt road problems.

There are signs once you get on old 49 S, Yeaton Spur Rd, and New York Rd near the Ashe Lake recreation area.
View Quote
Plum Nearly Road is the last right turn off the road before you get to the range, as I recall, unless they changed the name.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like the range was cleaned recently. Went out there yesterday and the trash that had been piling up for almost a year had been cleared out.  They also removed the wooden stakes which marked the 25y and 50y distances at the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top