Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2020 4:28:08 PM EDT
This should be interesting. $500 fine or up to 30 days in jail for not wearing a mask in public.

https://www.wbrc.com/2020/04/28/birmingham-one-first-alabama-cities-require-face-coverings-public/
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Got to make up all that lost revenue somewhere
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
"Call Me Alabama"

Mr. S. and company could make more off of this instead of ambulance chasing. JMHO.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Bham is or is becoming a third world shithole.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Already is third world.  The mayor and city council would fit right in running a cesspool country in sub Saharan Africa.  The tragic part is that I can remember when B'ham and cities to the west ( Bessemer, Fairfield, Midfield and Hueytown) were nice places to live
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember that, too. Huffman, Center Point and Roebuck were my old stomping grounds.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Call Me Alabama"

Mr. S. and company could make more off of this instead of ambulance chasing. JMHO.
View Quote

I said the same thing to my buddy at work. I almost hope I get arrested for it. Would sure beat working the rest of my life. Lol
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Already is third world.  The mayor and city council would fit right in running a cesspool country in sub Saharan Africa.  The tragic part is that I can remember when B'ham and cities to the west ( Bessemer, Fairfield, Midfield and Hueytown) were nice places to live
View Quote

Welfare destroys and Welfare destroys absolutely.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This should be fun.
View Quote

A guy in a mask with a gun and an unmasked guy without a gun walk into a liquor store.  The store owner calls the cops and the cops arrest the guy without the mask and gun.  Liberalism, the ultimate satire.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#10]
We can’t get enough masks to healthcare workers, and they expect a whole city to comply? Good luck....
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Would standing outside the city limits without a mask and waving to people ruffle some feathers?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jcduchock:
Would standing outside the city limits without a mask and waving to people ruffle some feathers?
View Quote

Sorry, but bullets from Birmingham don't know city limits.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
So we have a state law that outlaws wearing masks in public and now a city ordinance compelling me to violate said law.

Hmmmmm..
View Quote

I'm no expert by any means, but doesn't state law trump this ordinance?  GA has a similar law on the books and local politicians are trying to get Kemp to suspend the law because it conflicts with the CDC recommendations...
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#18]
State law does trump local....  Now I am just waiting for them to say ignore the older law... Then I will ignore other laws of my choosing...lol..
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ch2000:

I'm no expert by any means, but doesn't state law trump this ordinance?  GA has a similar law on the books and local politicians are trying to get Kemp to suspend the law because it conflicts with the CDC recommendations...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ch2000:
So we have a state law that outlaws wearing masks in public and now a city ordinance compelling me to violate said law.

Hmmmmm..

I'm no expert by any means, but doesn't state law trump this ordinance?  GA has a similar law on the books and local politicians are trying to get Kemp to suspend the law because it conflicts with the CDC recommendations...

I think that there is an exception for health and safety.  I have seen people in the past wearing surgical masks in public and I assume that they have AIDS, smoking or some heart issue that makes them more vulnerable to infections.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I live and work in Bham and think it’s beyond ridiculous but to avoid bring hassled by LEO i think its best to comply for the time being. Also since a carry a gun I think it’s safer to do so in case some cop gets froggy. Could you fight this in court and win? Probably but then again who has time for that.

Also exercising in public doesn’t seem to affect this BS. So what constitutes exercising? Considering your body expels more fluids and vapors when you’re working out it makes less sense since you'd be sweating more and expelling more air from your lungs. But hey when it’s common sense it’s often ignored.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]
How about a Costco mask in Birmingham?  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Scandal Randal is already caving in. He knows that ordinance is bullshit and won't stand up to a legal challenge.

View Quote

I think he’s playing his cards to run for governor. I don’t know if any of the other big city mayors are pulling this same crap.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Hmmmmm..
View Quote

ANTIFA learned about this State law at a protest at Auburn a few years.  The police just made them take their masks off though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:

I think he’s playing his cards to run for governor. I don’t know if any of the other big city mayors are pulling this same crap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:
Scandal Randal is already caving in. He knows that ordinance is bullshit and won't stand up to a legal challenge.

I think he’s playing his cards to run for governor. I don’t know if any of the other big city mayors are pulling this same crap.

He has higher aspirations but I think he will run for Terri Sewell’s seat.  His head of economic opportunity wants the governor gig.

I had to run in to the office downtown for a bit today. More than happy to break the law on the mask order. Only thing I have handy anyway is a camo bandana that makes me look like I’m about to knock over the local feed-n-seed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I doubt any BPD is going to arrest or cut citations for it. They don't want anymore interactions with the public thsn anyone else, it seems. But they'll still take care of business when needed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By BamaBushmaster:
I doubt any BPD is going to arrest or cut citations for it. They don't want anymore interactions with the public thsn anyone else, it seems. But they'll still take care of business when needed.
View Quote

I heard that they are going to take an "Instructional Approach" as wearing a mask in public is against State Law.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By gunham:

I heard that they are going to take an "Instructional Approach" as wearing a mask in public is against State Law.
View Quote

That’s what the mayors office told me when I called about it the day they passed it. They included penalties to get people to wear the masks but never intended to enforce the penalties. Could have simply passed an ordinance or released a statement encouraging the wearing of masks without the force of law and most folks would wear them or at least be reminded to use additional caution in social settings.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Bham pd is inforcing this, i heard last night over their intercom’s stopping two females and telling them to go home or go to jail since they weren’t wearing masks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Fucking little dictators.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Getting on the PA is not the same as actually citing/arresting a person. 
View Quote

Removing their right to peacefully move about town is enforcement
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top