Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2023 7:55:54 AM EDT
Senate Bill S5763 requires firearms training, drug testing, mental evaluations, purchase of hunting liscense, and disclosure of social media accounts for the purchase of firearms.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2023/S5763

"Relates to establishing additional requirements to purchase a firearm, shotgun or rifle; requires a person to apply for a hunting license prior to the purchase of a shotgun or rifle; establishes additional requirements for all firearms, shotguns and rifles including taking a five hour gun safety course and exam, passing a shooting range test with 90% accuracy, providing notarized proof of a passed drug test and mental health evaluation, providing proof of purchase of firearm and ammunition safe storage depositories and passing a criminal background check."

"Although the need tohave protection is understandable, the notion that every citizen should possess a firearm is absurd. New York is one of six states whose consti-
tution does not explicitly protect the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Being a "May Issue" policy state, the issuance of a firearm is at the discretion of the issuing officer."

Im not very good at reading this legal stuff and can't tell if this effects people who are already in possession of pistol permits or if this applies to everyone in the state.

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#1]
It hasn't passed yet, and probably won't, but seems like it only applies to the purchase transaction?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It hasn't passed yet, and probably won't, but seems like it only applies to the purchase transaction?
View Quote
This is the part I was speaking about

"persons who were licensed to possess a pistol or revolver prior to [the effective date of this paragraph] July first, two thousand twenty-two are not required to have completed a firearms safety course and test, provided, however, persons with a license issued under paragraph (f) of subdivision two of this section prior to [the effective date of the laws of two thousand twenty-two which amended this paragraph] July first, two thousand twenty-two shall be required to complete the training required by subdivision nineteen of this section prior to the recertification of such license; and (iii) persons applying for a license under paragraph (f) of subdivision two of this section on or after [the effective date of the chapter of the laws of two thousand twenty-two which amended this paragraph] July first, two thousand twenty-two who shall be required to complete the training"

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#3]
"New York is one of six states whose constitution does not explicitly protect the right of the people to keep and bear arms."

Fortunately the U.S. Constitution does.

"Being a "May Issue" policy state, the issuance of a firearm is at the discretion of the issuing officer."

Not after NYSRP v. Bruen.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is the part I was speaking about

"persons who were licensed to possess a pistol or revolver prior to [the effective date of this paragraph] July first, two thousand twenty-two are not required to have completed a firearms safety course and test, provided, however, persons with a license issued under paragraph (f) of subdivision two of this section prior to [the effective date of the laws of two thousand twenty-two which amended this paragraph] July first, two thousand twenty-two shall be required to complete the training required by subdivision nineteen of this section prior to the recertification of such license; and (iii) persons applying for a license under paragraph (f) of subdivision two of this section on or after [the effective date of the chapter of the laws of two thousand twenty-two which amended this paragraph] July first, two thousand twenty-two who shall be required to complete the training"

View Quote

You're exempt from training that you already have to take for the pistol license.

This bill could be shortened to 'fuck guns'.

Interesting new sleaze to require a very onerous license with multiple types of background checks to purchase a rifle or shotgun while pretending it's a hunting license.

I doubt this passes now but I bet it does if we win a couple in court.

I don't know why anybody is optimistic, NY is only ever going to further restrict 2A rights, NEVER respect them.

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#5]
The other semi-humorous sleaze they throw in:

Must be 21 to buy a gun.

Exception for those who have an honorable discharge from the military.
Before they're 21!

I know it can happen but it's a small group.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"New York is one of six states whose constitution does not explicitly protect the right of the people to keep and bear arms."

Fortunately the U.S. Constitution does.

"Being a "May Issue" policy state, the issuance of a firearm is at the discretion of the issuing officer."

Not after NYSRP v. Bruen.
View Quote

It's as if they don't even acknowledge that Bruen been exist
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's as if they don't even acknowledge that Bruen been exist
View Quote
That bill was initially filed in 2019 before the Bruen decision but its funny how there is a little part in the bill claiming how it was read over twice. So I doubt they actually forgot about that being worded in there.

The state is literally completely disregarding the Supreme Court's ruling and isn't afraid of not hiding it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I just called the legislative director.

She was not even slightly aware of the Bruen decision and had no idea the supreme court affirmed that the 2nd amendment guarantees a right to own a gun...or that they made NY shall issue.

So they are just blissfully ignorant.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

She was not even slightly aware of the Bruen decision and had no idea the supreme court affirmed that the 2nd amendment guarantees a right to own a gun...or that they made NY shall issue.

View Quote
But, but, but we read it twice and it is 100% constitutional
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

That would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
View Quote

Commies know & understand exactly what they are doing!
I can here it now bbbbbbbuut its totally constitutional to put all  racisssss white people in reeducation/Extermination camps because they are racissssssssssss!

Its coming!
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Astounding
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah I mean unless SCOTUS unleashes hell on NY and sets up a special oversight of some kind to prevent NY from passing more and more laws ignoring Bruen...NY democrats ain't gonna stop.

One gets struck...they pass another. And another.

We need SCOTUS to intervene like they did with segregation.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

But they got it in Civil Rights Law

Article 2 - NY Civil Rights Law

S 4. Right  to  keep  and  bear arms. A well regulated militia being
 necessary to the security of a free state, the right of  the  people  to
 keep and bear arms cannot be infringed.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah I mean unless SCOTUS unleashes hell on NY and sets up a special oversight of some kind to prevent NY from passing more and more laws ignoring Bruen...NY democrats ain't gonna stop.

View Quote
Can't wait to see Marshals perp walking Hocul.  Does her security detail have to get into a gun fight at that point?
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Social media accounts: cos that's not a 1A violation of course ... your rights will be determined on whether or not they like what you post?

That shit needs to go away.

In the meantime never use your real name for social media.  If you do (like on FB) lock it up tight so that no one can see anything you don't want them to see.  Or just don't post anything.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I wish there were similar requirements to run for political office.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That bill was initially filed in 2019 before the Bruen decision but its funny how there is a little part in the bill claiming how it was read over twice. So I doubt they actually forgot about that being worded in there.

The state is literally completely disregarding the Supreme Court's ruling and isn't afraid of not hiding it.
View Quote
There is another thread here with another one of these zombie bills that comes back every year with only the date being changed. An interesting sentence in the bill talks about losing "the privilege" of owning a firearm due to a violation of the proposed law The "privilege" issue was settled in Heller and McDonald but they still focus on it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted: If you do (like on FB) lock it up tight so that no one can see anything you don't want them to see.
View Quote

Until Facebook gives it to them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: If you do (like on FB) lock it up tight so that no one can see anything you don't want them to see.
I thought they were requiring you to provide your accounts AND passwords (or did they rescind the password requirement? - that was a major crapfest when that requirement was first announced). If so, locking it down is pointless if they have your credentials.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Meh.

Nassau county and the republican executive are way ahead of em.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Meh.

Nassau county and the republican executive are way ahead of em.
View Quote
+1

I still remember back in 2000 when the Republican Legislature and Republican County Executive Tom Gullota pushed through the license fee increase to $200 every five years. Local gun shop was telling me I should apply for one before the fee officially kicked in (they would have helped me with the paperwork). Of course I would have had to pay $200 in 2005, 2010, 2015, 2020, etc.

The "R" party talks a good game but as we have seen at every level of government, they fold faster than Superman on laundry day (thanks Bart Simpson) when it comes to the 2A. Yes they are usually better than Democrats but at times it seems like a choice of "who was better to live under? Mao, Fidel, Stalin or Hitler?". Their caving in last summer on gun control has turned into a big selling point for the gun control movement.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does SCOTUS have any capability to do such a thing?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. The ink wasn’t dry on Bruen and they created a series of laws and regulations to circumvent it and the spirit of that decision.

Could NY financially survive if every law abiding gun owner left? I would love to find out - I did my share leaving 7 years ago.

Unless you have a loved one terminally Ill and you need to care for him, I know of no other legitimate reason for a gun owner to stay in NY.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SCOTUS didn't intervene in the Little Rock decision. The executive branch sent in federal troops to enforce the decision. SCOTUS has no power outside of contempt of court or disbarment proceedings to enforce any ruling.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

SCOTUS didn't intervene in the Little Rock decision. The executive branch sent in federal troops to enforce the decision. SCOTUS has no power outside of contempt of court or disbarment proceedings to enforce any ruling.
View Quote
And NY knows this.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Suck my dick
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Contempt of court is pretty powerful when it involves the ability to incarcerate somebody.

They can also, and should, issue an explicit ruling on the second so that those who legislate and enforce in opposition to a constitutional right can be charged with 1983 civil rights violations. when they fear losing their pensions and personal investments in a civil lawsuit they might think twice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Contempt of court is pretty powerful when it involves the ability to incarcerate somebody.

They can also, and should, issue an explicit ruling on the second so that those who legislate and enforce in opposition to a constitutional right can be charged with 1983 civil rights violations. when they fear losing their pensions and personal investments in a civil lawsuit they might think twice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah if Hochul or an LEO org enforces a law SCOTUS deemed unconstitutional, I'd hope contempt of court would be happening. Perp walk Hochul!
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until the executive branch sends in the federal marshals, states like NY will continue to pass laws they KNOW don't pass constitutional muster. I've been to several rallies protesting the same 'safe storage' laws that Heller\McDonald found unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Until the executive branch sends in the federal marshals, states like NY will continue to pass laws they KNOW don't pass constitutional muster.
View Quote
When you have an Executive Branch administration that openly disagrees with a Supreme Court ruling, there will be no Federal Marshals deployed any time soon. In the case of school integration with Brown v. Board of Education in Alabama, they got Federal Marshal's because President Kennedy and AG Kennedy wanted it to happen (Kennedy also federalized the Alabama National Guard to back up the Marshals) . If there had been an administration that opposed integration, it probably would have taken several more years.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

For now, maybe but they will be back at some point in the future to "improve" it.
I moved to AZ but still have brothers in NYS.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's the problem, it takes five years to get the Supreme Court to do anything but NY can pass new restrictions every day
View Quote
And regardless of what the USSC says NY will just make a new law to skirt it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top