Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2021 3:51:14 PM EDT
I, along with my wife and 2 boys (7 y/o and 10y/o) are going to be spending some time in the BSF area soon for vacation. We will be doing some hiking in BSF, Pogue Creek Canyon, and Pickett State Park.
Any other notable things to check out while in the area? Things to see or do, or places to get some good food?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Possibly the Alvin Your homestead? Never been there, but then again it's Alvin York.

As for food, that area up in and around the BSF is pretty rural.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Rugby, TN was a utopian community that is reasonably well preserved.  I like it, but I don't know if young boys would get anything out of it.  The Blue Heron mine is nearby.  It's worth a look-see.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Take at least one night to go check out the sky, it's a designated dark sky area. A telescope would be great but binoculars will work well there too. Don't forget a red light or you'll piss a lot of people off.

https://www.tn.gov/news/2015/5/14/tennessee-state-park-designated-silver-tier-international-dark-sky-park.html

Here's a close address for GPS for one of the designated astronomy fields: 3899 Pickett Park Hwy, Jamestown, TN 38556.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Possibly the Alvin Your homestead? Never been there, but then again it's Alvin York.

As for food, that area up in and around the BSF is pretty rural.
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion. My 10 y/o loves to eat and has read several books on the World Wars recently and really enjoyed them. He would probably enjoy this, as would I.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Rugby, TN was a utopian community that is reasonably well preserved.  I like it, but I don't know if young boys would get anything out of it.  The Blue Heron mine is nearby.  It's worth a look-see.
View Quote

I think I remember seeing something about Rugby when looking at the area online, seems interesting.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Take at least one night to go check out the sky, it's a designated dark sky area. A telescope would be great but binoculars will work well there too. Don't forget a red light or you'll piss a lot of people off.

https://www.tn.gov/news/2015/5/14/tennessee-state-park-designated-silver-tier-international-dark-sky-park.html

Here's a close address for GPS for one of the designated astronomy fields: 3899 Pickett Park Hwy, Jamestown, TN 38556.
View Quote

Yeah, this is very interesting to me and I had read up on it, unfortunately there will be a full moon right in the middle of our trip. Would definitely love to visit a dark sky sight under good viewing conditions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top