Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2022 7:12:03 PM EDT
For anyone who might be interested, there is a new shop that opened up in Austin last month
that specializes in air guns. They are located at 9518 W. Hwy. 290.
https://biggameairguns.com/
I do not have any affiliation with this shop, nor have I been there to visit, yet. I just saw their
announcement in the local Community Impact newspaper.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I think one of the biggest obstacles to airgun sports is the air. The chinese made pumps and guns have helped, but the stuff gets damned expensive quick.

A base FX air rifle is still about $1200. No scope, no mounts. Nomad compressor is $800.

$1200 for a base Air Force Texan to go big bore. $500- $600 now for a 4500psi tank now.

Driving 1+ hours to refill a tank is out for me. The more places to fill, the better.

I'm running around with an AV Avenger with a DonnyFL with a chinese pump and an ATN refurb scope. Probably $1200 in for the whole package. That's trying to enjoy the hobby on the cheap and you'll still have a hard time reaching the accuracy of FX or Daystate.

I love it because I get to shoot more on property in town without anyone else getting in my business, but damn, it's as spendy as real firearms.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have friends that are in a volunteer fire dept, and they have a bottle fill pump and they will fill your bottle it is a little cheaper.

I did a service call on some electrical to one of these pumps and ended up with three fresh out of date tanks.

And when I empty them, these guys will trade them out for other fresh out of date tanks.  I bought a regulator and tube to fit the air pack tank and got away from the hand pump.

a 4500 psi tank will get a lot of 3000 psi fills.  I run a cheaper rifle a Benjamine Marauder.  Still in the 500 range but the practice you get out of it will make you a better rifleman and you will replace all your triggers in your hunting rifles after shooting one.

I dont shoot near as much as some guys but i guess if you shoot a lot more a pump is the logical step up.

When you can shoot a squirrel in the head at 40 yards it kinds of gets addictive.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When you can shoot a squirrel in the head at 40 yards it kinds of gets addictive.
View Quote

I bought a Benjamin p-rod for cheap during Black Friday last year. I didn't immediately love it and my 74 year old father was complaining about rabbits staying out of the range of his pumper. He was hesitant to get into PCP because he knew he'd drop $400 for a pump. But I filled the gun and sent it home with him. He's killed the shit out of rabbits in his garden with it. Probably more than 20 in the last year and out to like 40-50 yards with a Hawke scope and a red flashlight.

I keep my pump at the office now and he just brings his gun up there to fill when he gets low.

I can make golf ball sized groups with the AV Avenger at 80 yards. It really drops off at 100. The squirrels smartened the fuck up really quick. If they see the truck, they run and hide. I bought some camo netting and will throw up a hide with a lawn chair and some shooting sticks. 40 yards in a tree, they don't know what hit them.

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Benjamin Bulldog 357 and aa Airforce Texas SS 22 that both hit pretty hard. I also bought a manual compressor for them and an electric compressor because I’m lazy and the manual pump looks like a lot of work. Both shoot very nicely and I use home cast slugs in my Bulldog.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top