Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2021 9:51:58 PM EDT
Sister's family coming to visit again.  Three teenagers, my sister, brother in law, and me.

New Braunfels is about a 2 hour drive.   Garner State park is about a 3 hour drive.

Leaning towards doing a day trip up to float the Comal, eat somewhere nice, and head back but would like to hear ya'lls opinions.   I've never floated the comal.  Only ever floated the Guadalupe years and years ago.   And it kinda sucked (super drought year).

I've never been to Garner State park.  Is the Frio nice to float?  Worth the extra hour driving?
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
OST for my interest too!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Comal has consistent flow year round so it is easy to plan. That said, I like the Guadalupe a tiny bit more when the flow is right.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the Comal better than the Guadalupe overall, but if they have those dumbass can and cooler restrictions I'd go Guadalupe.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Grip is. Ice and we should have had enough rain. Assume there are still river reports for it like there are for the Guadalupe, but I don’t have a link for you
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the Comal better than the Guadalupe overall, but if they have those dumbass can and cooler restrictions I'd go Guadalupe.
View Quote

Yeah, comal has a can ban.  

I was just resigned to popping a 6 pack into some insulated thermoses and putting those in a cooler.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#6]
After floating most of the white water in the Pacific NW like the South Fork of the Salmon and the Snake below Hells Canyon Dam at high water...I just can't get too excited about baking in the sun with my ass on an innertube, imperceptibly moving on the hot water rivers in Texas.

Some y'all needs to get out more.

An 80 Mile Rafting Adventure in the Northern Rockies | Salmon River, Idaho

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 12:47:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
After floating most of the white water in the Pacific NW like the South Fork of the Salmon and the Snake below Hells Canyon Dam at high water...I just can't get too excited about baking in the sun with my ass on an innertube, imperceptibly moving on the hot water rivers in Texas.

https://www.outdoorproject.com/sites/default/files/styles/odp_header_adaptive/public/features/mattleidecker_op_middle_fork_day1-15.jpg?itok=JImXaUaW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y32XMCpNWSU
View Quote

Looks like you'd spill your beer.   No thanks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Guadalupe river is currently flowing at 100cfs at Statler. No direct report on the Comal river, but the Guadalupe is flowing at 318cfs at I35. That extra water is coming from somewhere and I would bet most is from the Comal.
https://www.gbra.org/conditions/data.aspx
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Looks like you'd spill your beer.   No thanks.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#10]
If the flow is good, I much prefer the Guadalupe River.   Last time I was at the Comal, it was kinda trashy.  The park in the NB was filled with hood rats and recently arrived workers.  

But, gotta check the flow before you go.   If there is no flow out of the lake, the G River becomes a tiny little stream.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#11]
@1Andy2

Spent most of last week in New Braunfels. Plan on moving there in the next two years.

Comal is cool and consistent, but a lot more "urban" than the Guad. for the most part. Schlitterbahn is also right there too. Put in at Landa Falls (easy parking and near Landa Park / BIG playground / wade pool / putt putt if you have young kids) for the longest Comal float.

3rd Choice: Guadalupe out of Gruene is inconsistent with it's float levels at times, and can be a lot longer or shorter float depending on flow. Can be very packed on holidays and weekends but always a party crowd.

2nd Choice: A wilder float with the younger crowd is done out of Don's Fish Camp just East of San Marcos on the San Marcos River. Camping and easy parking, and can chill on the sandbar when your done or just go again.

1st Choice: Most consistent and favorite float of mine is the "Horseshoe" out on the upper Guadalupe near Canyon Lake. Check out what concerts are at Whitewater Amphitheatre while you're in the area.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Did the horseshoe on the Guad last summer and it was nice, but in some spots you drag ass if the water is low.  When you exit, walk a short walk back and do it again...  Last summer tube companies couldn't operate, not sure if that has changed or not now.  If they are operating, there are other spots to put in and exit that they will pick you up and bring you back...

Check out Gristmill in Gruene (http://gristmillrestaurant.com/) for dinner, gets crowded, but a fun place.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.outdoorproject.com/sites/default/files/styles/odp_header_adaptive/public/features/mattleidecker_op_middle_fork_day1-15.jpg?itok=JImXaUaW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y32XMCpNWSU
View Quote

Floating a river drinking beer is not supposed to be anything like white water rafting.   That’s like comparing running a marathon vs bowling.  One is torture that sucks and the other is a an excuse to drink beer and still calling it a sport.
Besides the spring water is cold not hot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Floating a river drinking beer is not supposed to be anything like white water rafting.   That's like comparing running a marathon vs bowling.  One is torture that sucks and the other is a an excuse to drink beer and still calling it a sport.
Besides the spring water is cold not hot.
View Quote
'Torture that sucks'?  Is that what has you triggered?
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@1Andy2

Spent most of last week in New Braunfels. Plan on moving there in the next two years.

Comal is cool and consistent, but a lot more "urban" than the Guad. for the most part. Schlitterbahn is also right there too. Put in at Landa Falls (easy parking and near Landa Park / BIG playground / wade pool / putt putt if you have young kids) for the longest Comal float.

3rd Choice: Guadalupe out of Gruene is inconsistent with it's float levels at times, and can be a lot longer or shorter float depending on flow. Can be very packed on holidays and weekends but always a party crowd.

2nd Choice: A wilder float with the younger crowd is done out of Don's Fish Camp just East of San Marcos on the San Marcos River. Camping and easy parking, and can chill on the sandbar when your done or just go again.

1st Choice: Most consistent and favorite float of mine is the "Horseshoe" out on the upper Guadalupe near Canyon Lake. Check out what concerts are at Whitewater Amphitheatre while you're in the area.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks.  

Watched a good downtown walkaround tour on youtube last night for new braunfels.  Looks like some good food choices, good beer pubs and biergartens.

Shame they're not coming in November.  I always wanted to go to wurstfest but I'm not going to something like that by myself.  That's just depressing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I believe the official tubing site of the TXHF is the Lazy L n' L on the Guadalupe River.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I believe the official tubing site of the TXHF is the Lazy L n' L on the Guadalupe River.
View Quote

yeah, I think that was where we went on the hometown crew trip I went on years ago.  I think you were there, matefrio, texrdnec,dpeacher, bill lewis, maybe theredgoat.   Not sure who else.  Keith_J maybe.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
'Torture that sucks'?  Is that what has you triggered?
View Quote

Just about.  I only say that because I will go on 100 mile bike rides and people think that’s torture but it does not bother me..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top