Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2023 6:28:21 PM EDT
I will be visiting family there in a month and was wondering about the best gun shops to visit. Mainly looking for preban guns, nfa, hk parts and guns. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Both Larry’s locations are about the only shops worth going to in my opinion. I can only speak for the Huntsville/Madison area.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both Larry’s locations are about the only shops worth going to in my opinion. I can only speak for the Huntsville/Madison area.
View Quote

I'll second this.  I've either not been to or was not really impressed with the inventory/pricing of the others.

The Madison location of Larry's has some of his collection on display as well.  There's a beautiful Colt factory Fitz Special on display that I'd do . . . questionable things to own.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget about Larry's sons place just north of Huntsville in Fayetteville.  Elk River Trading Company.  At the intersection of Hwy 431 (Huntsville Hwy aka Memorial Parkway) and the Ardmore Highway (TN 110).
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want to check the block on all on your list, better time it with a big gun show hosted at the Vaun Braun Center.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you want to check the block on all on your list, better time it with a big gun show hosted at the Vaun Braun Center.  

View Quote

There's one next weekend, as a matter of fact.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I haven’t been to one of those in a couple years, but they were pretty much a waste of time last time I went.
Are they any good lately?
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I haven't been to one of those in a couple years, but they were pretty much a waste of time last time I went.
Are they any good lately?
View Quote
It was a waste of time the last time I went, 1.5 years or so ago.  Parking and entry fees were the deal breakers for me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#9]
And stay away from Last Resort Guns in west Madison on County Line Road.  Owner is a POS gun grabber.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out Mr Big Guns on Drake. The only JCs location. Super nice owner, great prices and pretty good selection. ive found several deals there
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Check out Mr Big Guns on Drake. The only JCs location. Super nice owner, great prices and pretty good selection. ive found several deals there
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And stay away from Last Resort Guns in west Madison on County Line Road.  Owner is a POS gun grabber.  
View Quote

He's absolutely not and you very clearly have never had a conversation with the man. Russ is genuinely one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Ask any employee there what they think of him. I'm well aware he said he wasn't against universal background checks seven and a half years ago. But his stance has changed and even then, that's far from being a gun grabber. I shoot there all the time and the staff are by far the nicest of any gun store around. I can barely get service at Larry's. At Last Resort Jason and Sparks will show you anything you want and give their honest opinions, even if it's a cheaper option. Even if I didn't like Russ I'd still go there because I like the staff.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He's absolutely not and you very clearly have never had a conversation with the man. Russ is genuinely one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Ask any employee there what they think of him. I'm well aware he said he wasn't against universal background checks seven and a half years ago. But his stance has changed and even then, that's far from being a gun grabber. I shoot there all the time and the staff are by far the nicest of any gun store around. I can barely get service at Larry's. At Last Resort Jason and Sparks will show you anything you want and give their honest opinions, even if it's a cheaper option. Even if I didn't like Russ I'd still go there because I like the staff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, he wasn't against UBC; he actively wanted them and endorsed having them - for $$$$$.

Fuck him; I stand by my statement:  The owner of Last Resort Guns in Madison is a POS Gun Grabber.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You're right, he wasn't against UBC; he actively wanted them and endorsed having them - for $$$$$.

Fuck him; I stand by my statement:  The owner of Last Resort Guns in Madison is a POS Gun Grabber.
View Quote
An archived thread on Last Resort....
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don’t know if they are nice guys or not, but their prices are obscene.  Guns, ammo, range time, etc. is all much cheaper elsewhere.  
Larry’s has much better selection of guns and always plenty of cool used guns.  

I moved back to Huntsville in 2012 at the height of the great ammo panic.  I saw a billboard for last resort so went to check it out one day.  A guy behind the counter actually told me that he loves it when he can charge obscene prices to “stupid people”.  I went back a second time years later when they moved to the current location, saw the prices, and left to never return.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don’t know if they are nice guys or not, but their prices are obscene.  Guns, ammo, range time, etc. is all much cheaper elsewhere.  
Larry’s has much better selection of guns and always plenty of cool used guns.  

I moved back to Huntsville in 2012 at the height of the great ammo panic.  I saw a billboard for last resort so went to check it out one day.  A guy behind the counter actually told me that he loves it when he can charge obscene prices to “stupid people”.  I went back a second time years later when they moved to the current location, saw the prices, and left to never return.  

View Quote

agreed. i stop by once a year or so and just walk right back out. dont understand why anyone would buy there when larrys is a few miles away
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I swore them off whenever they tried charging me a $50 transfer fee to ship a Mosin many years ago.
They kicked my buddy out of the range because he was shooting a handgun, but was under 21 at the time. Apparently, they require(d) "adult supervision" to shoot your own pistols, even if you're over 18 but not 21.
I knew a former employee who was cool, but he did not speak highly of Russ or the other staff there.

As stated before, there is no reason to go there when Larry's is just down the road.

Edit: It appears the 18-21 "supervision required" rule is still in effect.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Going to hijack the thread, but who are your favorites for transfers?

Mostly looking for someone closer to or in Athens.

Last time I used a dealer to transfer a gun was when Athens Guns was still open, so it's been a while.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I've used Last Resort for transfers because PSA has their info on file already. And it was pain-free all the times I used them
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Last time I used a dealer to transfer a gun was when Athens Guns was still open, so it's been a while.
View Quote

Can't speak to Athens, but Gold, Guns, & Guitars on 72 in Madison is $15. Downside is that out of the dozen plus guns I've had shipped there, they've only ever called me once. Also, I've often had to wait 10-15 minutes before I can even talk to someone.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mr. Big Guns.  Great guys!
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve used them a couple times because their info was already in a database and they were fast.  A friend religiously uses them and won’t go anywhere else.  

I use Larry’s too for the same reason - no issues but they get so many guns every day that yours is just one of a hundred and you usually have to wait a day after they get it for them to book it in.  
If you’re paranoid, the old Larrys does paper 4473 so there’s no easy electronic way for yours to wind up in a database.  And yours will be one of 100-200 on any given day.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mr. Big Guns isn’t bad. Better on pricing than JC’s before them, but not as reasonable as Larry’s.
One thing that kinda annoyed me about Mr. Big Guns is they wouldn’t take my C&R when I was buying a C96 from them. They made me do a 4473 like a pleb. But I was getting a pretty good deal so I didn’t complain.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Last Resorts prices are insane. But he has "Boardwalk" local in Madison.  I've used Larry's for PSA on FFL needs with no issues. I'vs also used Craig's in Hartselle but Larry's is best I have found. Not pimping for Larry's by no means but PSA and PA has them listed. I think last time it was 35.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top