Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2020 5:37:42 AM EDT
Anyone run a scanner in the OKC area?  I'm looking for the best frequencies to monitor for basic emergency preparedness type stuff.  I'm not really a prepper but if you've lived in Oklahoma long enough you know bad things will happen.

I know OKC PD & FD run on a digital trunked system inaccessible without a special scanner and software which I don't have so they are out.  Any others that would make sense to program?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably the best bet would be to get your Ham license. Most Ham operators have ties to LE and will get the word out before the .Gov know whats going on.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I already use a broadcastify app that I can listen to the trunked frequencies on.  It works well enough but in a major emergency it's pretty common to lose internet access and there goes the access.  Without the extra equipment there's nothing I can do about it.

For now I'm just looking for accessible frequencies that folks around here find useful.

I've considered the ham thing, I'm just not sure it's worth it.  I need to do more reading on the subject.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You may want to look at picking up one of the unlocked Chinese handhelds. That’s what I use; a Wouxun actually.

Anyhow, easy to program with a pc. Can scan freq’s with it. Set it up for GMRS/FRS. I occasionally pick up EMSA and the Sheriffs Dept on it in the open.

Routinely listen to the Tulsa Area Repeater Network - this is a great resource during severe weather, and if a disaster were to occur.

Anyhow, I’m not a licensed ham either. So I never transmit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Nevermind, I just saw the same answer I was going to suggest.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You may want to look at picking up one of the unlocked Chinese handhelds. That’s what I use; a Wouxun actually.

Anyhow, easy to program with a pc. Can scan freq’s with it. Set it up for GMRS/FRS. I occasionally pick up EMSA and the Sheriffs Dept on it in the open.

Routinely listen to the Tulsa Area Repeater Network - this is a great resource during severe weather, and if a disaster were to occur.

Anyhow, I’m not a licensed ham either. So I never transmit.
View Quote
That's what I have, a Baufeng.  I'm just trying to find the best frequencies to program into it.  I thought it would be easier to see what frequencies people who already have scanners are using.  Nope.  Guess I'll do it the other way.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Ah, gotchya
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top