Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2021 1:53:15 PM EST
Currently live in Dallas - considering taking a job in Temple. Looking for a more quiet life, less people/traffic, potential property in the sticks I can shoot/hunt on - ok with 30 minute commute to work. How is life in Bell County? Pros/cons?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:25:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2021 2:26:34 PM EST by Hater]
Do schools matter?  If not, I think you'll want to be east of 35, Rogers maybe. Or farther out into Falls or Milam county.  Or the Troy area to the north.  Everything west is Mos Eisley and Fort soon-to-not-be-named Hood.  South is Salado, which is good for schools, but expensive.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:18:23 PM EST
Recently moved to the area around Temple. It’s definitely slower than Dallas. I’d definitely recommend to stay far away from Killeen, and then you’ll probably be good. Finding a place even outside of Killeen was difficult due to crime when looking for a house.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:49:25 PM EST
So far I've been here 6 years with no complaints (Other than its really hard to make friends here)

Live in NW Temple (burbs ) and outlieing farm country seems nice.

Wife and I plan to move out of city limits once I'm done with school.

Look into the demographics of the small towns. Have a friend that lives in Lott. He lives in the boonies but I guess the town is full of people living on gov'ment checks and you know how that goes.

I geocache frequently around the county so I've seen much and it and for the most part think there are a lot of good areas.

I'm thinking of having a local yolkles get together (There are a few of us in the area) once I get my fire pit built.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:11:07 PM EST
Cousin lives in Temple.

Belton is nice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:14:54 PM EST
I live closer to Austin but also have a recreational property outside of Cameron
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:28:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/20/2021 1:28:55 AM EST by multiple68]
Wife is from Temple, in-laws still live there. We have considered building a house in Salado. We will see
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:12:26 AM EST
I grew up in Temple and have been gone many years. My opinion is likely worthless.  

Temple schools have a bad rep.  Belton schools have a better one.  West of Belton is a no-go.

Good luck.  I grew up in the period of Segregation and anti-mil and anti-Catholic feelings.  Would never go back.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:42:24 PM EST
I'm way late to the party but look up the Temple Gun Club if you make it down here.  I live over in Belton and have a sister up in Troy just north of Temple.  Troy, Salado, Rogers, Academy and Belton are all good starter points.  Be aware that some areas are Belton school district located inside Temple city limits.  Those zones tend to have the highest property taxes if you are a home owner.  I'm not in real-estate but know a few locals that are.
Top Top