Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2021 10:46:20 PM EDT
Anyone draw a tag? First season Baraga for me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I only went for points this year - divorce, volitlity at work due to pandemic, etc.  I think I have 9 points now though, so all in for next year.

What are you doing, archery, firearm, dogs?

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Firearm this time. I burned 13 points back in 2015 on a bow hunt, downstate Red Oak unit, private land. I had a couple decent bears coming in nothing real big, youth season and the Liberty hunt was right before the bear opener (no dogs opening few days) and that activity just shut them down for a couple weeks. Mom and the cubs was all we seen after that. I would have never figured that out, a guy that runs dogs laid it out for me.
 Four or five points will get you a hunt in Baraga, I run some test baits a couple years ago, went well.

I'll be posting in the bear hunting forum as well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Firearm this time. I burned 13 points back in 2015 on a bow hunt, downstate Red Oak unit, private land. I had a couple decent bears coming in nothing real big, youth season and the Liberty hunt was right before the bear opener (no dogs opening few days) and that activity just shut them down for a couple weeks. Mom and the cubs was all we seen after that. I would have never figured that out, a guy that runs dogs laid it out for me.
 Four or five points will get you a hunt in Baraga, I run some test baits a couple years ago, went well.
https://i.imgur.com/p5Toh2yl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9SqBhJVl.jpg
I'll be posting in the bear hunting forum as well.
View Quote

Nice pics.  Almost the same here - I tried bow hunting in Red Oak unit on private land with similar results.  Was about 10 years ago or so.  Pretty sure I'll partner with a land owner in Baraga unit next year.  Only getting to go every 5-10 years, I'm not going to waste another tag, I need to get a bear before I die.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nice pics.  Almost the same here - I tried bow hunting in Red Oak unit on private land with similar results.  Was about 10 years ago or so.  Pretty sure I'll partner with a land owner in Baraga unit next year.  Only getting to go every 5-10 years, I'm not going to waste another tag, I need to get a bear before I die.
View Quote
That's wild we had experiences so similar. I hear you on the "bear before I die" part.
If this year goes well for me, I might know a guy that could help.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's wild we had experiences so similar. I hear you on the "bear before I die" part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had tried long ago on public land near the Deadstream west of Houghton Lake, but way too much hunter activity for a one man operation like me there.  So my last hunt was up by Glennie, lots of bears and some real monsters coming in, trail cam full, then just before my hunt the property started getting trespassers from nearby national forest land who were out on all the early hunts.    I didn't see a thing.

So yeah, I'd love a referral for next year.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had tried long ago on public land near the Deadstream west of Houghton Lake, but way too much hunter activity for a one man operation like me there.  So my last hunt was up by Glennie, lots of bears and some real monsters coming in, trail cam full, then just before my hunt the property started getting trespassers from nearby national forest land who were out on all the early hunts.    I didn't see a thing.

So yeah, I'd love a referral for next year.  
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top