Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2022 10:49:41 AM EDT
Seems that CHP got word that revenue was low and so they're really plundering the 5 freeway.

The pirates are out on the road guys. Stay safe.

ETA: we're coming into the weekend and that goes without saying that the usual paths home are going to have checkpoints for sure

Check your maps. Get home safe.

PS: I refuse to acknowledge the obvious hate against actually caring enough to post reminders for people that may be victimized by unscrupulous people.
It's against the community and I hope that you guys will follow the code of conduct and keep your mouths shut.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#1]
So it’s piracy if “YOU” violate the law and get caught?  You could avoid the these sorts of things by driving legally.

Considering that most folks think of speed limits and stop signs as mere suggestions these days, I’m not surprised many drivers think law enforcement is wrong for enforcing the laws.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So it’s piracy if “YOU” violate the law and get caught?  You could avoid the these sorts of things by driving legally.

Considering that most folks think of speed limits and stop signs as mere suggestions these days, I’m not surprised many drivers think law enforcement is wrong for enforcing the laws.
View Quote

Holy shit, I thought this was just my area.   Fuckin Red lights are even suggestions now....
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a major intersection about three blocks from me.  Accidents happen almost daily.  They have put in arrows for left turns, arrows for right turns, set up the lights so they are red in all directions for a few seconds before going green.  But the accidents persist.  People regularly run the lights.  They jump the green.  Speed up on the orange and still not make it before they run the red.  And most importantly it seems they can't bother to look away from their cell phones long enough to navigate the intersection safely.  Recently a pedestrian was struck while in the crosswalk, crossing with the  green light.  Turns out the female teen driver was texting at the time.  

We have laws against texting, but if you ask a police, sheriff or CHP officer how many tickets they write for this you'll receive a deer in headlight response.  Apparently they only enforce the law in addition to other infractions.

I detest red light cameras.  But if ever an interesection needed a red light camera it is this one.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Just posting a heads up to keep our guys safe.

I'm sure if you guys saw some harmful activity in you area you'd be nice enough to share.

I'd appreciate it greatly.
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Law enforcement is now a “harmful” activity?
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We have laws against texting, but if you ask a police, sheriff or CHP officer how many tickets they write for this you'll receive a deer in headlight response.
View Quote

Like the carpool lane violation, this is a fine-only law.  It is not a moving violation.  You can receive 100 citations for texting, and you won't get a single point on your driving record.  Until CA legislature makes it a moving violation, texting will continue, and enforcement will be lax.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok I just asked a cop I saw a few minutes after my post about the texting law.  It was changed in July last year to a moving violation, but still no point on your record for the first violation.  If you get a 2nd within 3 years of the 1st, then it's a point.   Hopefully this will help solve the problem.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Like the carpool lane violation, this is a fine-only law.  It is not a moving violation.  You can receive 100 citations for texting, and you won't get a single point on your driving record.  Until CA legislature makes it a moving violation, texting will continue, and enforcement will be lax.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have laws against texting, but if you ask a police, sheriff or CHP officer how many tickets they write for this you'll receive a deer in headlight response.

The fine for using your phone while driving is $20 for the first offense and $50 for all subsequent offenses. Not exactly a deterrent.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Law enforcement is now a “harmful” activity?
View Quote

Do you think fines, detentions, and arrests to not be harmful to people?

I definitely appreciate the heads-up, although it would be of more use to know what part of the 5, as it is a very long freeway.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Self inflicted and easily avoided. Not to mention it prevents harm to others.

Traffic laws have reasons for their existence. Violating them shows disrespect and disregard to others.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Self inflicted and easily avoided. Not to mention it prevents harm to others.

Traffic laws have reasons for their existence. Violating them shows disrespect and disregard to others.
View Quote

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Our speed limits are too low on most of our highways.  The flow of traffic certainly tends to be above the speed limit in a ton of places, which shows that the law is obsolete.

I am not a stickler for this sort of thing.  If anything, the law against obstructing traffic should actually be enforced (CHP refuses to do so).  Those are the folks who cause a lot of the traffic jams, which create more dangerous conditions, but because of the obsession with preventing higher speed, LE refuses to target them, since they are slowpokes.

Also, for long drives, just a few miles an hour more can make a significant difference in travel time, and without jeopardizing safety in most cases (certainly if you're going up the length of the 5 in CA).
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll agree that with today's vehicles and roadways the speed limits are likely too low.  But the thing to do is change them not disregard them.  There is a process for changing things.  The problem is most folks are too lazy to use the process.  It doesn't bother me at all to be the slowest guy on the road.  More than a couple of times I've had someone fly by me and later seen them on the side of the road with red and blue lights flashing.  Or on one ocassion under the back end of a container trailer.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll agree that with today's vehicles and roadways the speed limits are likely too low.  But the thing to do is change them not disregard them.  There is a process for changing things.  The problem is most folks are too lazy to use the process.  It doesn't bother me at all to be the slowest guy on the road.  More than a couple of times I've had someone fly by me and later seen them on the side of the road with red and blue lights flashing.  Or on one ocassion under the back end of a container trailer.
View Quote

It may not bother you, but it bothers everyone else.  Honestly, that is far more inconsiderate driving behavior than going a little faster (which really isn't inconsiderate at all unless you are just flying past traffic).

And the change process?  LOL.  Are you kidding?  I mean, you do realize this is CA, right?

One person alone can't change much unless he is wealthy, powerful, or influential, even outside of CA.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I...wouldn't...be...surprised...to...learn...that...Newsome...is...lobbying...biden...for...the...return...of...the...national...55...speed...limit. ...I-5...in...the...central...valley...would...then...be...a...gold...mine...for...him...and...his...chippies.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#15]
There is no progressive support for moving speed limits up.  They may ignore them, for the most part, but to allow higher speeds would increase fuel consumption (at least for those not already driving at higher speeds). Global warming and all that.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Pirates? Keeping us "safe"?
Just felt the need to post something? Anything?

Post fail
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The fine for using your phone while driving is $20 for the first offense and $50 for all subsequent offenses. Not exactly a deterrent.
View Quote

The $20 and $50 fines referenced in the statute are base fines. Any time a court assesses a base fine, additional penalty assessments and fines also occur. According to the Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedule at https://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/UBPS-2022-Final.pdf a base fine of $20 for using a cell phone means total fines of $162. A base fine of $50 would be total fines of $285.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Regardless of what the fines for any vehicle crime, if you don't enforce it it's as useless as tits on a boar.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'll agree that with today's vehicles and roadways the speed limits are likely too low.
View Quote

The problem is and will continue to be the distracted, incompetent self absorbed idiot behind the wheel.  A lot of the roads in my area are in disrepair due to deferred maintenance that the posted speed limit is too high. Yes I’m serious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top