BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd suggest planning on the next hike being a 6 miler and if it goes sideways we could cut it to 3 miles and still have it count towards the 18 total.

The question is where. The snow did add a level of difficulty yesterday.

I feel pretty good surprisingly. Gonna take the doggo out for a run here in a little bit.
View Quote
I agree.  I think we own TheRadBaron a trip down south, so lets see if we can find someplace to hike around Champaign.   Then have lunch.  Will be a long but good day.  Maybe we even shoot.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in for heading down south. Maybe we can find somewhere with a loop around three-ish miles so those that want to go for another sixer can do so, but it leaves the option of three open without having to turn back at 1.5.

The good thing about the six mile loop we did yesterday was once we got to three, we were all pretty much committed to six. The bad thing about the six mile loop was once we got to three...
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like the start of a plan.   Maybe Baron can get some guys out if we hike locally....
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure RadBaron knows of more places down there for hiking, but the two I'm familiar with are:
http://www.vccd.org/kennekuk-county-park/

and

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Pages/Kickapoo.aspx

Kennekuk will be flatter, Kickapoo has some serious hills.

The 3.3 mile loop at Kennekuk that they use for the 8-hour ultra race only has 1 hill and one slow incline, the rest is flat.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Kennekuk looks like a good spot, but if we can go west a bit of Champaign instead of east, maybe we can pull in GreenDragon or other more central guys and still keep it closer to Baron?

I don't know the area at all, so I'm just spitballing here...anyone down there interested?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#6]
That was a good hike yesterday.  I'm feeling pretty good.  The worst part is my abraded hip bones from the waist belt on my pack.  I thought it was the waist belt itself but now that I'm analyzing it I think that it's caused by the thick gun belt I wear as an EDC trouser belt.  The pack belt overlaps it a bit and grinds it into my hip bones.  I need to try a softer trouser belt for use while rucking, I guess.
There's some good hiking at Allerton Park outside of Monticello.  It's the grounds of an old mansion that was owned by some eccentric rich dude long ago.  It's a lot of woods but there's some interesting art and architecture out on the trails.  It's a pretty cool place to hike.  It's about 20 miles west of Champaign.  I'd need to get out there and figure out a 6 mile route.  What GPS are you guys using to monitor the hikes and post up the results?  Is it an app of some sort?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Pulled down from the Garmin web site.  Redbirdxx has a Fenix watch.  It uploads it to garmin, then he goes online and either does a screen cap or a DL of the track.  There are probably other online things you could use with your phone.  Huntstand or Onx are two hunting apps that you might be able to use to track your hiking without having to pay for the app.  Garmin may also have a phone app....
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]
The screenshot posted thus far have been from the Garmin Connect app. That app requires a separate Garmin device, in our case, my watch. Devices (mainly watches) are available for anywhere from $50 to $800. My daughter has a $50 Vivosport that does 80% of what my fancy unit does, including gps tracking and mapping...it’s just not nearly as tough and doesn’t look as cool

Alternatively, I’m pretty sure there are stand alone apps that will utilize the gps on your phone and supply similar data and graphics, but I have no experience with those.

Edited to add- the screen grabs are from my phone. While you can view all the data/maps online at the Garmin Connect website, it’s not necessary and I seldom bother. The phone app is pretty solid.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm up for a hike around Champaign area. It's been about 35 years since I was at Allerton, it was nice at the time. I've never been to Kennekuk.

You guys pick a spot and day, and I'll see about showing up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone around the Springfield Area?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That was a good hike yesterday.  I'm feeling pretty good.  The worst part is my abraded hip bones from the waist belt on my pack.  I thought it was the waist belt itself but now that I'm analyzing it I think that it's caused by the thick gun belt I wear as an EDC trouser belt.  The pack belt overlaps it a bit and grinds it into my hip bones.  I need to try a softer trouser belt for use while rucking, I guess.
There's some good hiking at Allerton Park outside of Monticello.  It's the grounds of an old mansion that was owned by some eccentric rich dude long ago.  It's a lot of woods but there's some interesting art and architecture out on the trails.  It's a pretty cool place to hike.  It's about 20 miles west of Champaign.  I'd need to get out there and figure out a 6 mile route.  What GPS are you guys using to monitor the hikes and post up the results?  Is it an app of some sort?
View Quote
At this page there are links to a 5k (3.1 mile) and 10k (6.2 mile) course. They might have to be adjusted slightly for our purpose, but might help get you started on figuring out a route.

http://www.allertontrailshalfmarathon.com/races.html
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone around the Springfield Area?
View Quote
I am.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#13]
@barrysuperhawk
@GreenDragon

Hey, guys, we're looking to meet up with TheRadBaron down by Champaign.  Looks like you're only about 1.25 hrs from there...would you be interested in traveling to Champaign?  We're looking to do the hike in such a way that we could get the 3 mile provisional hike in for anyone just starting...or if you just want to hike, we can play that by ear as well.

It would  be great if you guys could come east and meet up with us.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

At this page there are links to a 5k (3.1 mile) and 10k (6.2 mile) course. They might have to be adjusted slightly for our purpose, but might help get you started on figuring out a route.

http://www.allertontrailshalfmarathon.com/races.html
View Quote
The 5k loop looks about perfect for our purposes.

Attachment Attached File

Everyone would have the option of 3 or 6 miles, 35lbs provisional or 45lbs qualifier, etc. Lots of flexibility to meet the different goals of different people. About an hour from Springfield and 2.5 for us northern guys. Maybe we could carpool? No sense in driving 3-4 vehicles down there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]
That's good for me. My wife will come if it fits her schedule. My schedule has more flexibility.

I looked at SleepingBirdDog's link for Allerton. It looks like the 3 milers and 6 milers hike together and then the 6 miles go from there.

I was told that the actual 5-10k route isn't marked if they aren't running. But, it should be easy to spot as it's a fairly used route.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm psyched you guys are going to make it down southish! Can't wait to meet y'all.

If there's anyone reading this that'd be interested in getting a southern group together hit me up, I have at least one person off site that's interested. We just need a third to make it official.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm psyched you guys are going to make it down southish! Can't wait to meet y'all.
View Quote
@300Backout_Drunk , how far south are are you? Hoping you're talking about meeting us soon and heading north for the hike we're planning here.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@300Backout_Drunk , how far south are are you? Hoping you're talking about meeting us soon and heading north for the hike we're planning here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm pretty much as far south as you can get, Carbondale area.

Yeah central IL is totally doable for me. That place up north was a 6+ hour drive for me and it just wasn't in the cards.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#19]
That's a long haul dude....even just to the middle of the state, but would be great to meet up with you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If there's anyone reading this that'd be interested in getting a southern group together hit me up, I have at least one person off site that's interested. We just need a third to make it official.
View Quote
You live around the best hiking in the state, but as we all know, illinois is a loong state.

Looking at the map, Carlyle Lake looks like about the best option in between you and me. Their website is down now, but I did see that they have some trails, Cherokee trail is a 3 miler. If interested, we could look into it and plan something.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#21]
This looks to be coming together nicely, time to start talking dates? I'm out of town 3/18-3/23, but I'd hope we can get this done well before then.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Is this weekend too soon?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Not for me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm up for something this weekend. I can't make it down to the Champaign area though.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:38:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I could probably make it up to Central this weekend, what area are y'all thinking?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#26]
We’ve been talking about Allerton park in Monticello for the next hike.  It’s about 20 miles west of Champaign.  I can do a hike this weekend but I won’t have a chance to recon a route first so we’d just have to wing it.  SBD posted up some routes that should be workable.  
The weather looks great on Saturday and crummy on Sunday.  Saturday would be preferable but I’m willing to slog through the rain, too.  It’s cool with me if we wait until another weekend to do our first central IL hike, too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I could make it south this weekend but realize that is a quick follow on our hike last Saturday. If putting it back a week or two gets more guys there, I’m down for that. If it comes down to just needing a third this weekend, I’ll head down to fill a spot.

Whatever works for everyone else, I’m in.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd be up for Saturday at Allerton if others can make it. No use trudging through the rain if we don't have to.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Let’s do it.  What time works for everyone on Saturday?  It’s about 15 minutes from my house so just about any time is fine for me.  I know everyone else has a drive.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#30]
It makes no difference to me. Whatever works for the far traveling guys.  Google says that I'm 1hr 20min out, so it's easy.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm out for this weekend. Y'all have fun.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm in.

Looks like 2.5 hours for me, so I'd prefer something after 9:00. I think 300Blackout has the farthest to go, so I'd say it's his call.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We've been talking about Allerton park in Monticello for the next hike.  It's about 20 miles west of Champaign.  I can do a hike this weekend but I won't have a chance to recon a route first so we'd just have to wing it.  SBD posted up some routes that should be workable.  
The weather looks great on Saturday and crummy on Sunday.  Saturday would be preferable but I'm willing to slog through the rain, too.  It's cool with me if we wait until another weekend to do our first central IL hike, too.
View Quote
I might be able to make this one.
add a @ to me when final time for meet up is set, please.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#34]
That's a 3+ hour drive for me, how about noon on Saturday?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Noon works for me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Noon works for me.
View Quote
+1

Coordinates of the parking lot at Allerton... 40°00'20.1"N 88°38'43.8"W
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Cool.  Let’s call it noon on Saturday at Allerton Park.  
@AKRay
@GreenDragon
Think you’ll be able to make it?
We can plan on a 3 mile hike so that guys can get their Provisional rating if that’s what they’d like to do.  I’d like to do 6, personally.  Maybe we can set it up for a 3-mile loop starting and stopping at the cars to make it easy to scale the distance.

Anyone who hasn’t “officially” hiked yet who wants to go Provisional should bring a 35# (minimum) pack.  I’ll bring a scale along if anyone wants to weigh theirs but in the main ABB thread Ben said that they go on the honor system in regards to pack weight and I’m good with that.
I look forward to meeting you guys who haven’t been out yet.  
Cheers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#38]
It looks like the 5k (3.1 mile) course Birddog posted a link to passes right by the parking lot, we can try a track that for our loop.

I’d be up for six if we can get 3 guys who want to do it. Otherwise, I’ll probably just make this the 3 mile hike we’ll need to fill in the required 18.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Noon works great. My wife and I will both have our #35 packs.

Looking forward to meeting up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone know if Allerton Park is public or private property, and is it posted if the latter?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I would bet that there are no metal detectors at the entrance.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I think Allerton Park is owned by the University of Illinois.  I’ve never given much thought to the signage but it wouldn’t surprise me to see them on the buildings.  I’m not sure how that effects the trails.  But like I said, I go there fairly often and I don’t pay much attention to the signs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I’m generally a “concealed means concealed” type but I like at least be aware of potential...complications.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#44]
What are you using to load down your packs to get to 35#?
I will be bringing my HT radio if there are any other hams going.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I’m a ham as is Slarti, I believe there’s one or two more that have posted here. I’ll be bringing my HT as I just got APRS set up on it and there’s a digipeter 2-3 miles from the park, I’m hoping 8w will be enough to hit it and get a trace of the hike.

Slarti uses sand for weight, which is a good idea. He points out that it could be dumped if need be, unlike all the crap I’m hauling around.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#46]
My bag is my get home bag, so it has all of those items. Shelter, water storage/treatment, fire, a bunch of other stuff. A tarp and my poncho liner are in the pack up against my back for comfort.

I still add and subtract for it. The contents are getting  close to what I want, but I think that I'll be needing to change to a slightly bigger pack.

My wife's bag is similar to mine, but not as heavy. For the purpose of this hike, we just tossed in 6 pounds of weights to make weight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:57:39 AM EDT
[#47]
I threw in some steel plates and with normal get home stuff it's just over 45lbs. That sand idea is pretty good, one of my neighbors suggested kitty litter as well
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Hey gang....been a busy/bad week for me.  Been feeling drained and like I might be getting sick, so Redbirdxx and I talked and I'm going to pass on this weekend.  I'm very dissapointed as I was looking forward to meeting those of you that are new, so I'm gonnna throw out that we try for an upcoming weekend that both myself, Redbirdxx, SleepingBirdDog, and Bssrf4 can all make it down.  If you guys all do just 3 today, then we can all do a 6 miler together....

Have fun, take care, and looking forward to seeing/meeting you all.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#49]
You were missed, man. We'll get back down there soon, good people and good hiking.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I started my watch a minute or two late, so Baron has a slightly more accurate track from his phone. Myself, Baron, 300Blackout and GreenDragon all carried 45lbs. for the full six. Mrs. GreenDragon did 35lbs. for three.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#50]
APRS trace of the hike. We were lucky in having a digipeater about 2.5 miles away, so first test here was a success. Going forward would like to get some practice in using the text/informational aspects of the mode, which would be one of the main benefits in an actual, um...situation.

Attachment Attached File

Now I'm off for a shower, dinner and some quality time on the couch.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top