Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2018 7:10:23 PM EDT
Hello everyone, what are peoples thoughts on Ballot Measure 43, will they get the required signature to get it to a vote in November? And if so will the rest of the state wake up and out vote Multnomah County?
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#1]
IP43 is of the worst ballot measures I have ever seen.  It should never have made it this far, but here it is.  Every constitutional freedom-loving Oregonian needs to get the word out and get out and vote.  Otherwise in 6-months we'll be worse than California.  20% voter turnout is pathetic (no wonder people think Multnomah County progressives run the state).  Excuses that this ballot measure "won't affect me because I don't own an AR" are pathetic (they are after all guns).  In-fighting between sportsmen and recreational shooters is pathetic (the anti-gun groups love to devide and conquer, it is ridiculous when we do it to ourselves).  Doing nothing while people tear down the constitution is pathetic (apathy will ensure their victory).  There is more than just the Second Amendment at stake here.  I've talked to some FFL's about this measure.  They hate it.  But, shockingly some won't speak up because they don't want to "draw attention to themselves".  Out of fear of retaliation from the state govt. they self-censor and remain quiet.  Is this where we have arrived as a State or Country?  Are we so afraid of the PC group think?  We can either do nothing and be assured of failure or we can fight for a chance of success.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IP43 is of the worst ballot measures I have ever seen.  It should never have made it this far, but here it is.  Every constitutional freedom-loving Oregonian needs to get the word out and get out and vote.  Otherwise in 6-months we'll be worse than California.  20% voter turnout is pathetic (no wonder people think Multnomah County progressives run the state).  Excuses that this ballot measure "won't affect me because I don't own an AR" are pathetic (they are after all guns).  In-fighting between sportsmen and recreational shooters is pathetic (the anti-gun groups love to devide and conquer, it is ridiculous when we do it to ourselves).  Doing nothing while people tear down the constitution is pathetic (apathy will ensure their victory).  There is more than just the Second Amendment at stake here.  I've talked to some FFL's about this measure.  They hate it.  But, shockingly some won't speak up because they don't want to "draw attention to themselves".  Out of fear of retaliation from the state govt. they self-censor and remain quiet.  Is this where we have arrived as a State or Country?  Are we so afraid of the PC group think?  We can either do nothing and be assured of failure or we can fight for a chance of success.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's one to point out to folks you come across.

The ballot measure restricts ownership of semi-automatic handguns with a magazine with a capacity more than 10 rounds.  You do have the option of registering it and keeping it.  But if you do, what would you do with it?

I ask because you will no longer be able to use it in conjunction with your carry permit.

Why?

Because this ballot measure states that the only places besides your home where you can legally possess such an evil thing, is at a shooting range, a piece of private property where you have the owners explicit consent for possessing this weapon, or during transit to/from one of those places.  If this thing passes your only option for a concealed handgun is one with a capacity of less than 11 rounds.  Saying you'll just use a grandfathered magazine is not an option.

Let that sink in.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Here's one to point out to folks you come across.

The ballot measure restricts ownership of semi-automatic handguns with a magazine with a capacity more than 10 rounds.  You do have the option of registering it and keeping it.  But if you do, what would you do with it?

I ask because you will no longer be able to use it in conjunction with your carry permit.

Why?

Because this ballot measure states that the only places besides your home where you can legally possess such an evil thing, is at a shooting range, a piece of private property where you have the owners explicit consent for possessing this weapon, or during transit to/from one of those places.  If this thing passes your only option for a concealed handgun is one with a capacity of less than 11 rounds.  Saying you'll just use a grandfathered magazine is not an option.

Let that sink in.
View Quote
No. Semi-auto handguns are NOT banned because of 10+ round magazines. That is just untrue.

It’s actually worse than that though. See my analysis here: https://or-firearms-info.com/index.php/ip43-analysis
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No. Semi-auto handguns are NOT banned because of 10+ round magazines. That is just untrue.

It’s actually worse than that though. See my analysis here: https://or-firearms-info.com/index.php/ip43-analysis
View Quote
The way I read it SA handguns are banned if they have 10+ mags. What about that is untrue?
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The way I read it SA handguns are banned if they have 10+ mags. What about that is untrue?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are confusing the banning of 10+ round magzines and semi-auto handguns/rifles.

Rifles and handguns are candidates for banning if they have removable magazines. No size limit is specified. So a three round magazine will be enough.

1(a)(D) Semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has at
least one of the following:

Nothing there about capacity, 10 rounds or otherwise.

So any smug 1911 owners - think again.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You are confusing the banning of 10+ round magzines and semi-auto handguns/rifles.

Rifles and handguns are candidates for banning if they have removable magazines. No size limit is specified. So a three round magazine will be enough.

1(a)(D) Semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has at
least one of the following:

Nothing there about capacity, 10 rounds or otherwise.

So any smug 1911 owners - think again.
View Quote
Roger, Thanks for clarifying
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I tell anyone who will hear me about this measure. We need to hit the polls, all of us, there cannot be any excuses.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, I worded that fucky. I meant the magazines, not the actual handguns.  Sorry for the confusion.

But, am I wrong that handgun magazines with a capacity in excess of 10 rounds will be on the restricted list, and thereby illegal to possess anywhere other than on private property with express permission of the property owner or a shooting range, and transporting them to and from said private property or shooting range?
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:30:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, I worded that fucky. I meant the magazines, not the actual handguns.  Sorry for the confusion.

But, am I wrong that handgun magazines with a capacity in excess of 10 rounds will be on the restricted list, and thereby illegal to possess anywhere other than on private property with express permission of the property owner or a shooting range, and transporting them to and from said private property or shooting range?
View Quote
Almost, you can also possess them at: "On the premises of a firearms dealer or gunsmith licensed under 18 U.S.C. 923 for the purpose of lawful repair; ...or At a firearms competition or exhibition, display or educational project about firearms sponsored, conducted by approved or under the auspices of a law enforcement agency or a national or state-recognized entity that fosters proficiency in firearms use or promotes firearms education;."

It is VERY restrictive. This IP should never become a measure and if it does it must be defeated.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Human rights>words on paper.

Pass the fucking thing. Doesn't change a thing for me.

I'll carry what i want, where i want, when i want.

I'm nobody's fucking subject or slave
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Carry on reading down the list of banned "guns".

At the end they come to kits. In it they sat "parts or part", so one part is an assault weapon.
Presumably this includes things like screws, detents, detent springs, washers etc.

Unregistered possession of what they think is a detent spring or 1/2" washer etc. is a class B felony.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Carry on reading down the list of banned "guns".

At the end they come to kits. In it they sat "parts or part", so one part is an assault weapon.
Presumably this includes things like screws, detents, detent springs, washers etc.

Unregistered possession of what they think is a detent spring or 1/2" washer etc. is a class B felony.
View Quote
Considering the way I have shit strewn from hell to breakfast in my shop, that's really going to be a pain in the assto worry about.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#14]
This will be Browns last run so I imagine she's gonna go FULL retard after she wins in November.

Y'all need to move to Idaho
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#15]
It's going to break my wife's heart, but it's looking more and more like we will never again be OR residents.  I don't see 43 losing steam.

And now, this "Signing Sabbath" bullshit? Any church that participates in this should immediately and irrevocably lose their tax-exempt status.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Saw this on KOIN today.  Article makes it sound like the ballot title for 43 is only being challenged by a lone individual even though Oregon Outdoor Council and (NRA supposedly) have also filed appeals with the Oregon Supreme Court.

BS KOIN article
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Saw this on KOIN today.  Article makes it sound like the ballot title for 43 is only being challenged by a lone individual even though Oregon Outdoor Council and (NRA supposedly) have also filed appeals with the Oregon Supreme Court.

BS KOIN article
View Quote
I'm noticing more and more that news agencies no longer are allowing any provision for a comments section.  It's hard to refute the inaccuracies in an article without that.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Court challenge timeline given on KATU

Oregon Supreme Court Expedites Gun-Control Dispute

SALEM, Ore. (AP)  Oregon's Supreme Court set tight deadlines Friday in a dispute that has stalled a proposed ballot measure to restrict assault weapons and large-capacity magazines in the state.

The court denied all requests for oral arguments and directed the attorney general to file by June 18 a single response to five petitions to the court from gun-rights activists. And it told the five petitioners to reply by June 21.

Backers of the statewide Initiative Petition 43 have until July 6 to gather 88,000 verified signatures from voters to put their measure on the November ballot. They can't start gathering the signatures before the court rules on the arguments by opponents who say the ballot language is misleading.

There's no deadline for the court to issue its decision, but Friday's order accelerates the process while still giving the parties the opportunity to submit their arguments to the court, said Phil Lemman of the Oregon Judicial Department.

The court can either approve the certified ballot title as-is, rewrite it or order the attorney general to make changes.

In a statement late Thursday, Lutheran Pastor Mark Knutson, one of those behind Initiative Petition 43, urged speedy resolution "so we will be able to gather signatures as soon as possible and let the people of Oregon have their voices heard."

Gun control has become a heated topic amid a flood of school shootings, many of them carried out with AR-15 semi-automatic assault rifles.

One of those who sought the Supreme Court's review of the ballot language, gun rights advocate Roger Beyer, said it is "misleading, argumentative, and deceptive because it implies the measure applies only to a limited and belligerent group of 'assault weapons' gun owners."

If the initiative gets on the ballot, a "yes" vote would require registration with the Oregon State Police of "assault weapons," defined to include certain semi-automatic rifles or pistols with a detachable magazine; pistol or rifles with a fixed magazine holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition and certain semi-automatic shotguns; and magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds.

Background checks would have to be conducted to get weapons registered. Unregistered weapons would have to be disposed of, and people moving to Oregon would have to hand them over to law enforcement for destruction, make them inoperable themselves, or transfer them to a licensed firearms dealer. The measure would also prevent a registered owner of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine from buying more of them.

One thing that could work in our favor is if the court decides on June 21st or 22nd to let 43 go as-is, it would only leave the signature gatherers two weeks to gather 88,000 valid signatures.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

[SNIP]
[/i]One thing that could work in our favor is if the court decides on June 21st or 22nd to let 43 go as-is, it would only leave the signature gatherers two weeks to gather 88,000 valid signatures.
View Quote
Or how 'bout 4 DAYS!!! D Aiello is posting on NW Firearms and thinks thats a real possiblity.
Might have to hit the link a few times to get past the server error. Its getting slammed right now.

1st Big Victory Against IP 43

Text....

"Moments ago, the Oregon Supreme Court denied two motions by the Chief Petitioners of IP 43.

Read the full document here.

In short, the Chief Petitioners were attempting to intervene in the appeals process to support the ballot title and file a memorandum in support of the ballot title.

Additionally, and more importantly, in the denial, the Oregon Supreme Court issued a deadline adjustment.

The original order from the court stated we had three days from the date the Oregon Attorney General files the answering memorandum (her document debating our argument as to why the ballot title is legally insufficient) to file our reply.

Now the order says three days from the date the AG’s memo is due (June 18, 2018).

This is significant because the AG could have filed her memorandum prior to June 18th to speed up the process. With this change the timeline cannot be expedited by the actions of the AG.

As it stands this moment, it’s possible that the signature gathering process may not be able to proceed until July 2nd. This leaves only four days to gather approximately 100,000 signatures – a near impossible feat.

As you know, these legal challenges are not cheap. If you wish to support our efforts, you can send donations via PayPal to [email protected] or by regular mail to PO Box 4193, Hillsboro, OR 97123."
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Or how 'bout 4 DAYS!!! D Aiello is posting on NW Firearms and thinks thats a real possiblity.
Might have to hit the link a few times to get past the server error. Its getting slammed right now.

1st Big Victory Against IP 43

Text....

"Moments ago, the Oregon Supreme Court denied two motions by the Chief Petitioners of IP 43.

Read the full document here.

In short, the Chief Petitioners were attempting to intervene in the appeals process to support the ballot title and file a memorandum in support of the ballot title.

Additionally, and more importantly, in the denial, the Oregon Supreme Court issued a deadline adjustment.

The original order from the court stated we had three days from the date the Oregon Attorney General files the answering memorandum (her document debating our argument as to why the ballot title is legally insufficient) to file our reply.

Now the order says three days from the date the AG's memo is due (June 18, 2018).

This is significant because the AG could have filed her memorandum prior to June 18th to speed up the process. With this change the timeline cannot be expedited by the actions of the AG.

As it stands this moment, it's possible that the signature gathering process may not be able to proceed until July 2nd. This leaves only four days to gather approximately 100,000 signatures  a near impossible feat.

As you know, these legal challenges are not cheap. If you wish to support our efforts, you can send donations via PayPal to [email protected] or by regular mail to PO Box 4193, Hillsboro, OR 97123."
View Quote
Wow!  This is big!  Fingers crossed this all goes the right way.  Thank you for posting this update.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I was at the GGWG rally in Newberg today. Both Bill Post and Kim Thatcher think it likely that 43 and 44 are dead as ballot measures this year.
However, both are fairly sure that there is a bill containing pretty  much the same things in progress by the Dems ready for action in January.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 1:30:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was at the GGWG rally in Newberg today. Both Bill Post and Kim Thatcher think it likely that 43 and 44 are dead as ballot measures this year.
However, both are fairly sure that there is a bill containing pretty  much the same things in progress by the Dems ready for action in January.
View Quote
This is what I'm expecting to happen.  No short session next year.  They'll have plenty of time to ram it though.  I've been dreading this for a long time.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is what I'm expecting to happen.  No short session next year.  They'll have plenty of time to ram it though.  I've been dreading this for a long time.
View Quote
The only saving grace of this is that elected politicians will have to publicly put their names on it.  I believe there are a significant number of Dems representing somewhat pink/purple districts who may be loathe to put themselves on the line like that.  On the other hand, there's at least one Repub (Rich Vial), maybe a few more, who might be willing to go for it... or some watered-down version at least.  This is why there's NEVER a "bad" time to write your reps and let them know how you feel.

But I would agree that if 43/44 fail this time, SOMETHING will come out of Salem in 2019, and depending on how extreme it is, we'll probably see another suite of ballot measures in 2020.  It's inevitable.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The only saving grace of this is that elected politicians will have to publicly put their names on it.  I believe there are a significant number of Dems representing somewhat pink/purple districts who may be loathe to put themselves on the line like that.  On the other hand, there's at least one Repub (Rich Vial), maybe a few more, who might be willing to go for it... or some watered-down version at least.  This is why there's NEVER a "bad" time to write your reps and let them know how you feel.

But I would agree that if 43/44 fail this time, SOMETHING will come out of Salem in 2019, and depending on how extreme it is, we'll probably see another suite of ballot measures in 2020.  It's inevitable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know this is wishful thinking ... but ...

If the Dems get slammed in the November elections, there is no way they will try something like this.
You may have noticed that they are scared to death of even talking about 43, worried about what it will do to them in November.
They are hoping for a supermajority. They should be denied that just on principle. Look what it has done for California...
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#26]
If someone asks you to sign the petition, agree to.

But sign it Shallnot B. Infringed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If someone asks you to sign the petition, agree to.

But sign it Shallnot B. Infringed.
View Quote
I was thinking more along the lines of signing up to help them get signatures.   Get inside the group, find out where they will be working and where they are home based at.

Then watch as something happens to the boxs of signed forms.    Just saying.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was thinking more along the lines of signing up to help them get signatures.   Get inside the group, find out where they will be working and where they are home based at.

Then watch as something happens to the boxs of signed forms.    Just saying.
View Quote
Get trained up as a signature gatherer and just dont show up when you are supposed to go gather signatures maybe?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#29]
43 is dead - for now.  They'll be back next legislative session to ram a ban through that way though.  Keep up the pressure.

43 Dead
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top