Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2019 9:29:05 PM EDT
Looks like S. 55 may be headed to the Vermont Supreme Court sooner than I thought. There's a guy in Bennington who's up on charges for allegedly violating it.

The case revolves around one Max Misch. He's accused of 'trolling' (WTF-ever that means) one Kiah Morris, a (former) liberal D state representative. The whole affair's been something of a shit show locally. Story at the Bennington Banner link below (left cold on purpose).

https://www.benningtonbanner.com/stories/justices-asked-to-rule-on-gun-law,579371

BENNINGTON  The Vermont Supreme Court may be been (sic) asked to review constitutional questions raised by attorneys for Max Misch, who faces two counts of possession of illegal high-capacity firearm magazines.
View Quote
In his prior motion to dismiss the charges, Misch argued that the law violated Chapter I, Article 16 of the Vermont Constitution, guaranteeing the right of citizens to own firearms.
The motion also contended that a grandfathering section of the large-capacity magazine provision violated the "Common Benefits clause" of Chapter I, Article 7 of the Vermont Constitution by allowing some residents to possess such magazines  those who purchased them prior to the law's enactment  while prohibiting others from doing so.
But (Superior Court Judge) Cohen determined last month that the gun control law did not "contravene either constitutional provision and Mr. Misch's motion to dismiss is denied."
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Misch is an interesting character. We don’t see eye to eye, but I’ll defend with my life his right to have repugnant views.

Kiah Morris and her husband were a cancer on the community, I’m glad she is out of office. If he ever tried to buy a gun in my store again he would be turned away.

The shit that woman put the police chief through was unforgivable, I’m glad the community rallied around him.

Misch was the victim of a political witch hunt because his views are abhorrent to many and he drew attention to the state that the gutless Attorney General did not want.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Hoping for good news.

Does anyone know the last time the VT supreme court heard a 2nd Amendment case?
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 7:22:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrYar] [#4]
Hope this goes somewhere
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrYar:
Hope this goes somewhere
View Quote
You and me both, my friend. I haven't seen or heard anything on it since the one article in the local paper that prompted me to post this thread.

Misch is a douche from everything I've heard. But that's no reason he oughtta be subject to a witch hunt. And it doesn't make this BS law constitutional, either.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 4:27:26 AM EDT
[#6]
An update:

MONTPELIER  The Vermont Supreme Court has agreed to consider an appeal of a lower court's determination that a statewide ban on high-capacity magazines is constitutional, according to an order dated Aug. 7.

The defendant in the criminal case on appeal, Max Misch, a white nationalist and gun control opponent who lives in Bennington, was charged in February with two counts of violating the statute, which took effect Oct. 1. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Bennington County Superior Court Judge William Cohen ordered the matter reported to the appellate court on July 19 following a joint request made by Misch's counsel and the Vermont Attorney General's office, which is prosecuting the case.

Cohen ruled in late June that the magazine ban does not violate the Vermont Constitution's common benefits clause or an article that pertains to the right to bear arms.

A court clerk told the Banner that the appeal is at a preliminary stage and that it might be heard in about three to six months. If the full court hears the appeal, "a decision may take several months," according to general information available on the Vermont Judiciary website.

If the Vermont Supreme Court "finds the statute unconstitutional, the charges against Mr. Misch would have to be dismissed, as these are based solely on the challenged statute," Cohen wrote in the July 19 order.

Misch has admitted to "trolling" former state Rep. Kiah Morris around the time she filed complaints of racially motivated harassment and threats. The Attorney General's office announced in January that Morris, who is African American, was a "victim of racial harassment" but found no grounds for criminal charges.
View Quote
https://www.benningtonbanner.com/stories/vermont-supreme-court-to-consider-appeal-in-misch-case,583438
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, the Banner's never been long on the whole 'fair and balanced' thing. At least not in the ~19 years I've been here.

I'm not defending or condemning Misch. I've met the guy several times, though. He ain't the boogeyman the reportage would have you think he is.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Sprocket99:

Well, the Banner's never been long on the whole 'fair and balanced' thing. At least not in the ~19 years I've been here.

I'm not defending or condemning Misch. I've met the guy several times, though. He ain't the boogeyman the reportage would have you think he is.
View Quote
No he’s not. Not anybody I’d call a friend or want as a friend, but not Hitler Incarnate as people would have you believe.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Update: www.benningtonbanner.com/stories/misch-loses-bid-to-reclaim-guns-amid-pending-charges,585754
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's a related story as kind of an update. I caught this one by accident at the bottom of a Bearing Arms email.

Eighteen AG's Back Vermont's Ban On "High Capacity" Magazines

From the article:
The Vermont State Supreme Court is currently hearing a challenge to the state's ban on magazines that can hold more than ten rounds of ammunition for long guns and fifteen rounds of ammunition for handguns, and a group of 18 anti-gun attorneys general have filed a friend-of-the-court brief with the state's high court in support of the ban. Maryland's Attorney General, Brian Frosh, says the only reason why anybody would want to own a "large capacity" magazine is to hurt people.
View Quote
CURRENTLY hearing??? That's news to me. News here hasn't said fuck-all about it since the last update I posted here.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 5:08:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's a press release from the NY Attorney General's office with more information on their meddling. Shamelessly poached from the NY HTF.

Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#13]
cant but help think we are fucked, Montpelier is controlled by thinktank .orgs, there is no way they will let gun control be reversed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ShovelMonkey:
cant but help think we are fucked, Montpelier is controlled by thinktank .orgs, there is no way they will let gun control be reversed.
View Quote
We're being run by Montpelier, and Burlington.  The rest of the state is considered "irreverent".
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top