Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2018 11:33:51 PM EDT
This past week I shot my first match at the WSRC in Sparta, IL. Bart Carson, the match director put on an excellent event, with 5 stages this month, one being a "blind stage" with a briefing and no view or walk through of the stage. Bart says its growing with more competitors every month. The Tactical 2 Gun match is largely supported by TJ Kirgin and the "Tactical Shit" shooting team on Facebook, which has some videos about what tact2gun is about.  You can register and find events dates on Practiscore.com
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a ton of fun. I was wondering where the TS guys ended up at. They have been banned from a number of ranges.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 2:37:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This past week I shot my first match at the WSRC in Sparta, IL. Bart Carson, the match director put on an excellent event, with 5 stages this month, one being a "blind stage" with a briefing and no view or walk through of the stage. Bart says its growing with more competitors every month. The Tactical 2 Gun match is largely supported by TJ Kirgin and the "Tactical Shit" shooting team on Facebook, which has some videos about what tact2gun is about.  You can register and find events dates on Practiscore.com
View Quote
Do they have the rules for gear and classes posted anywhere?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Facebook- WSRC pistol and multigun competition, the top tab, scroll to the right to "files".
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Those websites suck.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is a video:

I used to be...heavy emphasis on USED TO BE the volunteer, as in not paid, USPSA and Steel Challenge match director at the WSRC.

I was replaced by a husband/wife team who were state contract employees...at a time when the state was like $5 billion in debt and not paying or forwarding the funds owed to local school districts.

The details don't matter much now.  This was in the spring of 2012.

My big claim to fame was I was the first one to introduce modern 3 gun competition to the WSRC.

From about 2006/2007 all the way up til late 2010, the IL DNR did NOT want anything to do with USPSA/IDPA/Steel Challenge at the WSRC.  In fact, what their excuse was, was "Your bullets go too fast."  I shit you not.  But me and a couple other dudes kept pestering them, especially since they held monthly Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) matches there.

Anywhooo... I don't want my comments above to be interpreted as so much sour grapes.

It sounds to me like Bart Carson has turned things around there.

And that's a really, really good thing.

Just curious...how much time do you get in actually shooting versus standing around waiting, pasting targets, and resetting steel?

I am ASSuming that if you have to register via practiscore and check out tge results later via practiscore, then they do electric scoring there (notpaper copies)???
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 1:32:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhceIjog_zo

I used to be...heavy emphasis on USED TO BE the volunteer, as in not paid, USPSA and Steel Challenge match director at the WSRC.

I was replaced by a husband/wife team who were state contract employees...at a time when the state was like $5 billion in debt and not paying or forwarding the funds owed to local school districts.

The details don't matter much now.  This was in the spring of 2012.

My big claim to fame was I was the first one to introduce modern 3 gun competition to the WSRC.

From about 2006/2007 all the way up til late 2010, the IL DNR did NOT want anything to do with USPSA/IDPA/Steel Challenge at the WSRC.  In fact, what their excuse was, was "Your bullets go too fast."  I shit you not.  But me and a couple other dudes kept pestering them, especially since they held monthly Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) matches there.

Anywhooo... I don't want my comments above to be interpreted as so much sour grapes.

It sounds to me like Bart Carson has turned things around there.

And that's a really, really good thing.

Just curious...how much time do you get in actually shooting versus standing around waiting, pasting targets, and resetting steel?

I am ASSuming that if you have to register via practiscore and check out tge results later via practiscore, then they do electric scoring there (notpaper copies)???
View Quote
The shooting/not shooting time, I would say is no different than the regular USPSA matches I have shot, but these stages take more time to complete, so that's a plus. These matches are different and I like it. It's run-what-you-brung/Tactical-practical atmosphere and I'm into gear, I like talking guns and gear-queer stuff with guys I meet there.

This month I competed again and got 2nd overall, I was pretty excited. The past two times I went there was 5 stages. One totally bind stage with no view of the course, just a briefing and the buzzers goes!
This month on Sunday there was enough people to run 3 squads, so we finished earlier than the first time.
Yes you do have to register on practiscore for the match, which I don't think is any problem. Bart had the match results loaded quickly and was able to find my ranking out before I made it home!

I do remember taking a carbine class at WSRC like 2013? With Brian Vickers, Victory Tactical, the place was a ghost town, no restaurant. He told me someone out there ran all the regular business off. I was stunned at how such a nice WORLD CLASS facility was being wasted- much like the IL state fair grounds- when there are no events. But now there seems like a good flow things happening out there now and I love that bar and grill they got in there now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#7]
That's awesome.  We went to the WSRC for my buddies bachelor party back in like 2007 and we were the only ones there on a Friday afternoon.  Which was awesome for shooting sporting clays.

I shoot a similar style event at our local(ish) range, and there would be multiple jokes and jabs about reloading in the open when there is a perfectly good barrel for cover in a tactical event.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I really wish USPSA would embrace 2-gun.

I've done 3-gun before, and it's fun, but the shotgun aspect of it is spendy, and not that attractive to me.

Rifle/pistol would be SWEET.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really wish USPSA would embrace 2-gun.

I've done 3-gun before, and it's fun, but the shotgun aspect of it is spendy, and not that attractive to me.

Rifle/pistol would be SWEET.
View Quote
Having been a USPSA match director, I really don't see the appeal or the lure of a club or range being affiliated with USPSA HQ.

Sung to the tune of Janet Jackson's "What Have you done for me lately?"

Janet Jackson - What Have You Done For Me Lately (Official Music Video)

Seems to me all USPSA HQ wants to do is collect classifier and activity fees (a per capita tax basically).

Which is why when I put on my one and only 3 gun match, I did it on my own without HQ's blessing.  Plus, at the time USPSA still only had hit factor to stage points to percentages scoring.

I went with time plus scoring and calculated everybody's scores while at lunch at the then 54th Street Bar and Grill at the WSC.  A lot of people knew how they placed overall before they left.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Only in Illinois could a range that nice be built 4-5 hours from 87% of the state's population. The match does look like a lot of fun, I wish it weren't 6 hours away .
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I take our Sheriff’s Office guys there for training and qualifications. Bart and his guys definitely take care of us. Dave from TS took his own time and helped one of my guys that was having some accuracy issues and worked with him on the side so we could keep the rest of the guys moving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top