Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 2/17/2020 11:15:48 AM EDT
I talked with the range officer at North Springs range about their schedule for the next few weeks.

This Saturday they have a few smaller events, on the 29th they only have a small Hunter's Safety class and on the 7th is a long range competition using most of the good ranges.

Newer forum member @LNF was out there over a week ago and said there wasn't much snow but a fair amount of mud on the ranges.

I'd like to have a BB shoot/hike on the 29th.  The mud should be somewhat dried up and the weather has a good chance of being nice.  The hike can be on asphalt and fairly flat ground, we should be able to qualify for the BB event with it.

Anyone else interested?

@BlackTuono
@sigman68
@JSmitt6
@mac3
@gndmepyon
@DarkCharisma
@4FishLimit
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m doing a panel QA that day I think but let me double check.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me check. I just did a ruck March with Stoner and I am hungry for more.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I am definitely interested, and available on the 29th, but not familiar with BB events or what is required.

Details please
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am definitely interested, and available on the 29th, but not familiar with BB events or what is required.

Details please
View Quote
@sigman68

Here's the link to the Battle Buddies guidelines-

GD Discussion Here

In short, the BB is a hiking club intended to help people become better prepared with skills such as communication, land navigation, shooting, physical fitness and overall readiness.

The requirements include three six-mile hikes with a 35lb pack and long gun or a 45lb pack without, completed in 2 hours.  There is also a shooting qualification that uses the NRA high-power match as a backbone, but you don't have to perform it in an official NRA sanctioned event, so we can set up our own and get qualified.

I'd like to do a 6 mile hike on the 29th, we may have to break up into a couple of groups for fast and slow to make sure those that can qualify will get that done as it has to be accompanied by two non-family members.  I'd also like to do some shooting, we can decide based on who is going if we need to practice some of the skills for the NRA match or if other things are needed more.  We can also have a gear test/comparison to help people get set up if they'd like.  We can also start some land nav, but that might be spreading things a bit thin for a single day.  If you've never been to the range in Price, you're in for a huge treat.  It's Disneyland for shooters.

For me and my son, this is all in preparation for the summer event in Montana that requires pre-qualification.  I'd love to help anyone else also get qualified and prepared for that event, the link for that is here-

Montana Battle Buddies Event- June 5 & 6
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#5]
What time is it planning on starting? bit of a drive, but i might be able to make it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What time is it planning on starting? bit of a drive, but i might be able to make it.
View Quote
We are considering being there the night before, they have camping on-site as well.  Otherwise, I'll be there when it opens, I think 8am.  We can start the hike later as the day warms up a bit, but a few hours hiking and a few hours shooting....  That's a full day of daylight.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm 99% in, just need to double check with the wife that there's no activities scheduled for the kids that weekend.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm 90% for this as well.

I've done a lot of long range shooting and 3gun but never any high power type shooting.  Will we be shooting at paper or steel?  Please tell me steel...
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm 90% for this as well.

I've done a lot of long range shooting and 3gun but never any high power type shooting.  Will we be shooting at paper or steel?  Please tell me steel...
View Quote
The NRA competition is on paper out to 600 with a service rifle.  I'll check with Ben regarding how strict we are on the rifle rules, I know they are not requiring a full NRA course of fire with 'official' scoring, range calls, timing between stages, rules regarding touching the mag between stages....  The administrative stuff.

If we're going to do it I'll come up with some targets and call the match, you guys and my son will be able to shoot and I'll qualify.... some other day.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in, weather permitting (basically snow).

I'll probably stay at my in-laws place in Ferron Friday night and then drive over to the range. Don't feel like leaving my place before 6AM Saturday morning or dewinterizing the trailer just yet.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#11]
So are there rules to the type of rifle/gear/ammo that you can use?

How long does a match like this take?  Maybe we all can get a chance to shoot it., and practice on some steel.

Like I said, I was planning on bring my SPR, not sure if it is legal for this competition.  I'll be running a carbine stock on it if we are going to hike so I can pack it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#12]
The one day I have to work Saturday this quarter and the BB shoot falls on it.. Oh well. I wish I could be there. The range in Price is absolutely fantastic. Post some pics of the days events!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:24:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Decided to see what kind of pace 3 MPH is on the treadmill at the gym tonight.

It's a pretty brisk walk, add in a 35-45 lb pack and an uneven surface and it will be a bit challenging for sure.

I've spent the last couple of weeks focusing on cardio conditioning in preparation so hopefully that will pay during the hike.

Also got one of my spare slings mounted on my go to rifle finally. Gonna re-check zero this weekend on both my scope and BUIS.

Any idea on how much ammo we should bring for the shooting portion? If we have a plate carrier/chest rig can we bring that and have it count towards pack weight for the hike?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I got a response from Ben on the shooting portion-

Any gun in any configuration is acceptable, he want people to grab whatever gun they would grab for a hike or emergency and do the test with that, so I’ll be using a Grendel SBR.

I’m working on getting the correct targets for it.

For the hike the rules are fairly simple.  45lbs without a gun, 35lbs with.  If you want to wear a plate carrier or chest rig on the hike it does not count as weight in the pack.  Any water used for weight can’t be used during the hike, it has to still meet weight at the end.  I can bring a scale if we’d like, but we’re using the honor system for pack weights.

Hopefully by the end of the day we’ll have 1/3 hikes in the bag and the shooting qualification.

I’d like to do a hike and some land nav next time, we can do that up in the SLC/Utah county area too.

We also should set up a Stop the Bleed training.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Would love to go but I will be out of town until the 28th and have a lot of catching up to do at home.

North Springs is awesome. I have shot a bunch of matches with the CASL group. Great bunch of people.

You guys will have a lot of fun!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#16]
@SCW

Thanks for the details, I'll plan accordingly.

I think I'll leave the PC home for this one then, will likely use it when getting the other hikes out of the way though, should be a good test to see how everything is adjusted or positioned before 'go time'.

My rifle with a fully loaded PMAG comes in right about 9 lbs. I'll plan on hiking with it, but will bring extra weight in case I plan to leave it behind.

ETA:

I'll load my bag up as if I were going hunting, any additional weight needed I think I'll use frozen water,  if that won't work let me know and I'll come up with something else to use.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#17]
are you walking on trails or are you bushwhacking it overland.  North Springs when it's muddy would literally kill me in 6 miles.  some of that ground is pretty steep, and it's super slick when that mud gets wet
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@SCW

Thanks for the details, I'll plan accordingly.

I think I'll leave the PC home for this one then, will likely use it when getting the other hikes out of the way though, should be a good test to see how everything is adjusted or positioned before 'go time'.

My rifle with a fully loaded PMAG comes in right about 9 lbs. I'll plan on hiking with it, but will bring extra weight in case I plan to leave it behind.
View Quote
I'd say bring the PC, we might as well do some shooting with them as time allows, you can also stuff it into the pack for your weight.  I'm bringing a bunch of gear to help sort through what I like and don't.  I doubt I'll be shooting much, I had a tendon repair on my arm last month and it's still a bit weak for holding a gun.  My son will be shooting and he's completely unaccustomed to shooting with a chest rig or PC, and it takes some getting used to.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
are you walking on trails or are you bushwhacking it overland.  North Springs when it's muddy would literally kill me in 6 miles.  some of that ground is pretty steep, and it's super slick when that mud gets wet
View Quote
I'll post up an expected trail today, I'm anticipating walking the roads where we won't have to deal with mud.  The VA guys are mostly doing flat-land on walking trails or sidewalks, for us to try to meet the same distance/time requirements on a muddy trail at 5,000' through the trees is crazy.  We're going to make it as easy as we can and get as many people qualified as we can.  Some of the roads are paved and flat, no traffic, easy access from the range.

The event in Montana will likely be pretty tough, getting people to qualify and participate I'm trying to make easy and inviting, even if people can't meet the qualifications now, we can be doing some training and shooting.  Or at least get together and develop some of the community aspects that are so impressive about the VA guys.  The concept of known and trustworthy neighbors would be good.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Gents, my two kids and I did a short hike today, I pushed pretty hard just to see what we could do if we pushed.  We got a full 3 miles along the road in 49 minutes, counting the 3 minute stop to put the weight back in my daughter's pack and figure out how to keep the zipper shut.  My son and I used 45lb packs and my daughter (15 years old) was at 30lbs, but I limited her due to an injury I'm not convinced she's 100% healed.

I'd like to plan on about 17min/mile for the full 6 miles next week.  As long as you can keep that pace for the first 3 miles you'll get a provisional qualification, if you can keep the pace for the 6 miles you'll have the first of three qualifier hikes.

This is a route I mapped out around the range, really minimal elevation gain and should be pretty good dry roads.  We'll have to start at the far end of a parking lot to make the full 6 miles, that or turn in circles for a few minutes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:53:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks good to me.

I'm pretty confident in my ability to keep pace, definitely looking forward to whatever challenges come up!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Hit the range this afternoon to double check zero.

Was shooting a little lower than I wanted so I came up a bit to end up at 1" low at 25 yards (farthest range I had access to today). Should be good for a 50 yard zero.

Best 5 shot group of the day ended up at .41 MOA.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hit the range this afternoon to double check zero.

Was shooting a little lower than I wanted so I came up a bit to end up at 1" low at 25 yards (farthest range I had access to today). Should be good for a 50 yard zero.

Best 5 shot group of the day ended up at .41 MOA.
View Quote
Nice.  I've still got to get the targets, I've been looking for them but they typically come in packs of 50 or 100 and cost more than I really wanted to spend.  I'll find a solution or print my own and be ready.

My son and daughter will be shooting, I'm still not using my left arm very well after having surgery last month, so I'm just planning on helping run the 'match' and try to get everyone qualified.  I'll be able to do the hike and take some pics for the (soon to be released) BB website.  You guys will have to let me know if you're concerned with having your picture on the website, if so I'll make sure to work around that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got no issues with that, my work isn't anything special really so I don't have any reason to worry about those type of optics.

At this point my stance is such that I'm done being worried about OPSEC (to a degree) when it comes to the activities I engage in on my own time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I am going to take a rain check on this adventure.  I have a plumbing issue that is patched until I can get to it on Saturday.  You guys have fun!
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone going to bother me if i pull off the road out there to sleep in my car? won't be making it down till about 10pm friday night
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anyone going to bother me if i pull off the road out there to sleep in my car? won't be making it down till about 10pm friday night
View Quote
There is a ton of space to just pull off and sleep.  Or you can camp at the range, I don’t know what they charge.  The range fee is $10 (I think) and they have some improved camp spots.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am going to take a rain check on this adventure.  I have a plumbing issue that is patched until I can get to it on Saturday.  You guys have fun!
View Quote
We’ll be doing more events.  I think a hike/land nav training around Sugarhouse Park might be good.  Or possibly around the Great Salt Lake.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry some of you all will be missing out!

Looks like we'll have some decent weather for Saturday though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Me and the lady are in - what time does everything get started? And what is the range setup going to be? Can do the hike at the very least, lady has never shot a rifle before outdoors so I probably won't be making her shoot paper at 600.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I believe the range portion starts at 8AM, @SCW can clarify.

My understanding is once the range portion is done we'll be starting the hike.

Depending on how many shooters/setup I would assume we would be wrapping everything up by 3-4PM at the very latest.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll be there at 8am, we'll start by getting sighted in, walk the distances out to 600 and make sure everyone is tuned in and ready.  Then we'll do the NRA match at 200 and 600 yards.  I'd imagine we should be all done with that by noon or so, then do the hike in 3 hours.  Depending on how tired my kids and I are after the hike, we might spend some time doing some pistol shooting at Cowboy Town after the hike.  I'll have a new handgun and my daughter really wants to bang away at steel targets.

My daughter will be shooting a new rifle and she's never shot to 600 before either, but I really think we can get good hits and help people qualify.  We don't need to be in a big hurry and we aren't going to stick to the details of the NRA events (like no coaching, no touching mags between strings, limits on caliber and optics, etc), so as long as people can get good scores on the correct size targets at the correct distances, we'll qualify.

I'd like to help as many people as possible get familiar with the three shooting positions and be able to make solid hits at 200 and 600 yards.  Even new shooters.

On the hike we'll take off whenever we're ready, we can leave from the parking lot of the range and leave our stuff in the cars.  Anyone that wants to meet a provisional qualification can go the 3 miles and anyone that wants to meet the full qualification on the first hike can do the 6 miles with weight.  There is no need for a provisional rating if you want to jump straight to the qualification hike, the provisional is just to help people step their way to qualification as they can.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#33]
In. I was just down there for the LRSU  milk jug challenge, wind was crazy, couldn’t spot impacts in the snow, but got it on the last shot . Planning on shooting carbine with ACOG, but I better bring the AR10 for 600y just in case.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Got all my stuff packed up and ready to go.

My pack weighs in at 44.6 lbs before adding any water weight. I'll just toss in a couple of my 13 round XD mags to make the rest of the weight.

Hitting my 200 lb weight goal by summer is looking better and better, I'd much rather weigh in at ~245 lbs with a pack versus the 260+ that I'm at now.

Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Got all my stuff packed up and ready to go.

My pack weighs in at 44.6 lbs before adding any water weight. I'll just toss in a couple of my 13 round XD mags to make the rest of the weight.

Hitting my 200 lb weight goal by summer is looking better and better, I'd much rather weigh in at ~245 lbs with a pack versus the 260+ that I'm at now.

View Quote
Nice.  My goals are similar, I want to be down to 200 or even a bit lower.

I took my kids shooting today, we got them both comfortable with the guns and confident they can make good hits on small targets.  Now they just need to settle down and do what we've practiced, we've spent a few hours dry firing in the house and learning the positions.  I've pretty well given up on doing the match myself, I'll just call/RO the match for everyone else and try to get everyone a passing score, then do the hike.  My elbow is really cranky from trying to be active with it too soon.

I was hoping my brother in law would make it too, instead he's got an entire household with the flu, so I'd prefer I don't see him for a while.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Gents-

Remember that the range fees are (I think) $10/person.  There will also be a minor expense for the NRA targets, which I'll bring.  I think it will be a couple of bucks.

Temps first thing in the morning are going to be near freezing, but we'll be in the sun.  Bring a pad to lay on the concrete for the sitting and prone positions of the shoot.  The entire match requires 50 rounds of whatever you want to use.  Here's the match breakdown-

Stage 1: Slow fire (10 shots in 10 minutes), standing at 200 yards
Stage 2: Rapid fire (10 shots in 60 seconds with reload), sitting or kneeling, at 200 yards
Stage 3: Rapid fire (10 shots in 70 seconds with reload), prone, at 300 yards
Stage 4: Slow fire (20 shots in 20 minutes), prone, at 600 yards

We'll take some time to make sure of our zero, then check at 300 and 600 before we start the match.  We are not following strict NRA rules regarding behavior during the match including coaching, touching mags between strings, checking equipment and ammo, etc.  We are just trying to qualify with our go-to guns at those ranges on those targets.  We also need to perform the course of fire correctly, so reloads and time limits will be in effect.

After the NRA we'll do the hike, we can leave guns/gear in vehicles and we'll hike from the parking lot.

I'll be there right as it opens, I'm driving a white Ford pickup.

See you tomorrow!  Feel free to call me if you need to-

Shane
435- eight five one- 9047
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds good, I'll be sure to grab some cash.

I've got a few moving type blankets that I'll bring in case someone doesn't have a mat.

I should be there right around 8AM as well, I'll be driving up from Ferron. I'll be in a brown Ram pickup.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sounds good, I'll be sure to grab some cash.

I've got a few moving type blankets that I'll bring in case someone doesn't have a mat.

I should be there right around 8AM as well, I'll be driving up from Ferron. I'll be in a brown Ram pickup.
View Quote
Gate doesn't open until 9...  So I hope you see this before you sit in front of the gate for an hour.  I've actually done that and I still didn't remember when it opened.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Made it back home a little over an hour ago...drive through the Canyon was pretty uneventful.

Anyway, totaled up my targets and came in at 210, really surprised I broke 200 considering how few hits I had at 600. The handful of 9 and 10s I got at 200 and 300 saved my bacon there.

Also kind of frustrating knowing I would have come much closer to the 50% mark if I had just 6-7 more hits at 600.

That said, still a ton of fun and I'm going to work on some heavier loads to help keep the wind from being as big of a deal at those ranges.

Nice meeting you all, looking forward to doing it again!
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#40]
When’s the next one @scw?
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Made it back home a little over an hour ago...drive through the Canyon was pretty uneventful.

Anyway, totaled up my targets and came in at 210, really surprised I broke 200 considering how few hits I had at 600. The handful of 9 and 10s I got at 200 and 300 saved my bacon there.

Also kind of frustrating knowing I would have come much closer to the 50% mark if I had just 6-7 more hits at 600.

That said, still a ton of fun and I'm going to work on some heavier loads to help keep the wind from being as big of a deal at those ranges.

Nice meeting you all, looking forward to doing it again!
View Quote
Honestly, I think your ‘failure’ was at least partially my fault.  Next time we’ll have targets for 600 yards that will be the full width, even if we need to print 1/3 of the target at a time and staple them next to each other.  I only took a few shots and I really shouldn’t have, my elbow is so sore and tender that showering was painful.  But I’m chronically dumb, so not surprised, lol.

Good shooting.  Get some dry fire practice and next time you’ll rock it, easy.

Quoted:
When’s the next one @scw?
View Quote
I think we can do a hike and intro land nav up north next time.  Make it easier for the bulk of the Utah guys that don’t live in Central Utah.  I want to do *something* every month, and I’m very willing to drive around some.  If we did a hike around Sugarhouse Park followed up with some land nav training maybe?   I’m open to suggestions.

My kids and I are headed back to Price in two weeks, we want to just slowly work through getting good hits to 600 and some more positional shooting practice.  My daughter was frustrated that she didn’t pass the qualification her first time, lol.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Honestly, I think your ‘failure’ was at least partially my fault.  Next time we’ll have targets for 600 yards that will be the full width, even if we need to print 1/3 of the target at a time and staple them next to each other.  I only took a few shots and I really shouldn’t have, my elbow is so sore and tender that showering was painful.  But I’m chronically dumb, so not surprised, lol.

Good shooting.  Get some dry fire practice and next time you’ll rock it, easy.

I think we can do a hike and intro land nav up north next time.  Make it easier for the bulk of the Utah guys that don’t live in Central Utah.  I want to do *something* every month, and I’m very willing to drive around some.  If we did a hike around Sugarhouse Park followed up with some land nav training maybe?   I’m open to suggestions.

My kids and I are headed back to Price in two weeks, we want to just slowly work through getting good hits to 600 and some more positional shooting practice.  My daughter was frustrated that she didn’t pass the qualification her first time, lol.
View Quote
Legislative session is ending soon so I should have a bit more free time. Would love to come out to the next one.

I'm a total newb when it comes to land nav and just about anything else so I'd be excited to learn some stuff from people who know
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:49:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Legislative session is ending soon so I should have a bit more free time. Would love to come out to the next one.

I'm a total newb when it comes to land nav and just about anything else so I'd be excited to learn some stuff from people who know
View Quote
The problem with land nav is it takes some classroom time and some wandering around time.  I don’t mind teaching it, but we’d do a lot better if we could have a classroom portion and a field portion.  If we planned a few hours maybe?  That’s another advantage to this range in Price, there are lots of classrooms, kitchens, room to shoot, room to hike (with guns and without) and training space galore.  But it’s a long ways from everyone but me.

I’m doing the ‘wandering around’ portion with my kids and nephews next Saturday.  We spent about two hours going through USGS scale maps and learning all the finer points of what’s on the maps.  I’m buying several types of compasses for them to play with and get familiar.  I’ll have a few maps and compasses and protractors for us to play with by the time we get together for a land nav training.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:06:49 AM EDT
[#44]
If anyone had pictures from today to share with us that were not able to make it, that would be cool to see. I am 100% in for the next one, wherever it is.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I’ve got several pictures on my phone and some on my drone that I only flew a couple of times.  I’ll try to get them posted.

I’m trying hard to recover today, I guess I was getting sick and spent a good part of the night trying to relax and sleep, today I’ve got a fever and headache, cough, etc.  my daughter is also hacking up her lungs today, I hope we didn’t get anyone else sick.

A lot of our friends and relatives have been catching the flu, I hope I don’t have that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#46]
So far so good here, but I know who to blame if that changes
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top