Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2020 9:44:11 AM EDT
Ok, I always thought they were straight up illegal to carry autos in NC. But reading up on it now it seems it only illegal to conceal carry them. So is it being clipped to your pocket considered a legal way to carry an auto knife in the state of NC?

To be clear, the knife itself is inside the pocket with the clip portion visible on the outside. I guess this is more of a when is it concealed vs open carry.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I've wondered myself if a visible clip is sufficient to constitute open-carry of any knife which didn't meet NC's definition of a concealable pocket knife.  It certainly is extremely common to see visible knife clips on peoples' pockets in the state.  That said, I would imagine it is open for interpretation by law enforcement as to what the standard is for sufficient visibility to denote open-carry.

I've heard it said that NC concealed  knife infractions are rarely pursued on their own; rather, they are "add-ons" which come up in the context of another infraction like disturbing the peace, assault, etc.

I'm curious to hear what an authoritative source has to say (lawyer, LEO).
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#2]
The clip would be sufficient

I have never heard of a knife charge that either

A was a tack on charge

Or

B somebody talked their way into a charge.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Clip has to be shown.

I carry a Microtech everyday. I showed my neighbor that is a detective for the area PD and he said he doesn’t see a problem with them. He said a lot of his officers carry them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top