Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
10/15/2021 7:52:46 PM
Posted: 8/29/2021 10:45:05 PM EDT
Wife and I are considering retiring in the Asheville vicinity in a couple of years.  Not the city, out in the sticks but within easy access to good medical, dining, etc.  We want foothills, woods, acreage, and privacy and have seen some very potential properties that seem to have what we are looking for.  I'm currently in FL visiting my folks but toying with making a side trip to there later this week before heading home.

Any and all insights would be welcome, both pro and con.  We are still in the early investigation stage.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 7:42:00 AM EDT
You're looking for what a lot of others are looking for. Prepare to get out your checkbook, especially in this market right now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 7:34:50 PM EDT
Asheville/Buncombe county housing is ridiculous. I'd look down the mountain towards Morganton, or north past Weaverville. I grew up here, so I've seen a lot of changes. On one hand, the craft beer and restaurant scene is outstanding; OTOH, traffic is terrible and housing is super expensive. If I hadn't bought property from my family 20 years ago, it would be hard to live where I do.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 9:22:44 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NC_Andy:
Asheville/Buncombe county housing is ridiculous. I'd look down the mountain towards Morganton, or north past Weaverville. I grew up here, so I've seen a lot of changes. On one hand, the craft beer and restaurant scene is outstanding; OTOH, traffic is terrible and housing is super expensive. If I hadn't bought property from my family 20 years ago, it would be hard to live where I do.
View Quote

One of the places that has our eye as ideal is in Morganton and another in Rutherford.  Not interested in Asheville itself except for good medical access.

Prices seem good to us....especially compared to Hawaii.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 9:43:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

One of the places that has our eye as ideal is in Morganton and another in Rutherford.  Not interested in Asheville itself except for good medical access.

Prices seem good to us....especially compared to Hawaii.
View Quote
That makes sense, I'd take Morganton over Rutherfordton IMHO, I worked in a lot of WNC towns when I worked for the phone company.  A lot of those towns along 74 are old textile towns and they can be a little depressing.  Are you looking to be closer to the VA or the local hospital in AVL (Mission Hosp)?  The VA is outstanding, but the local hospital has gone way down hill since they were bought out by HCA.  Check out some articles about it on our local news WLOS.  A lot of doctors have moved to the hospitals in Hendersonville.  Don't discount the upstate of SC either.  Considerably cheaper all around and still close to the mountains.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:49:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2021 9:50:45 AM EDT by bruh44]
You can get much of the same near Knoxville, TN, Johnson City, TN and Greenville, SC. The cost of living in all of these places is far lower, taxes is far lower. Number of extreme liberal idiots is far lower.
That said, I live about 30 minutes outside of Asheville in the woods and I really like it here. If I were ready to retire and my kids didn’t still need to be in school I’d be on my way to Tennessee.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:46:59 AM EDT
I like to say Morganton is starting to be like Asheville without the as many stinky hippies, lol. It is still mostly working class folks but they got a few nice places to eat, 3 breweries, strong downtown association, good outdoors activities....

But prices have gone up a lot. We got 20 ac about up near game lands 3 years ago for $120,000. Same land is going for $220,000. Just land, no home, roads, improvements...
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 3:41:31 PM EDT
Message sent.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:54:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By pevrs114:
Message sent.
View Quote

Mahalo
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:55:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By pevrs114:
Message sent.
View Quote

It will be fun raising a ruckus with my KH6 callsign
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 12:17:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bruh44:
You can get much of the same near Knoxville, TN, Johnson City, TN and Greenville, SC. The cost of living in all of these places is far lower, taxes is far lower. Number of extreme liberal idiots is far lower.
That said, I live about 30 minutes outside of Asheville in the woods and I really like it here. If I were ready to retire and my kids didn’t still need to be in school I’d be on my way to Tennessee.
View Quote

SC is full lol

Seriously Landrum, Campobello etc have all shot up in price and are no longer the cheaper alternatives.  Johnson City maybe still a good choice.  I love NC but Asheville at least downtown is just a no go these days.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 2:51:28 PM EDT
Head west of Asheville,i am near TN line .

Anything east of Waynesville sucks donkey dicks
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:59:53 AM EDT
Any thoughts on the Tryon area?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:27:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2021 9:27:52 PM EDT by mc556]
Originally Posted By MikeSH:
Any thoughts on the Tryon area?
View Quote

I like it there.  It boarders my town on the state line.
Polk Co gun club is in that area and the town itself is nice and quiet.
If you end up there let me know I’ll extend a invite to my lodge if you do.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.