Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2018 1:13:13 AM EDT
Myself and I believe most here have fought the good fight to retain our gun rights for years . I got my FOID 46 years ago and have been active ever since.I'm more concerned this year then any time in the past. It will not take much change in Springfield to set in motion drastic changes in our gun laws.What has been the experience of say, New Yorkers, to bans established in their states. What does one do with the parts of their collection subject to such a law. Who would handle moving the 10s of thousands of guns out of the state for owners. I can see it being a logistics nightmare for us.
We would become an antigun Island surrounded by free states. It's hasn't happened yet, and may not, but what has been the results elsewhere in the country when the change has come?
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#1]
If I'm going to go through the hassle of moving my collection out of state, I'm going to move my entire collection and my income out of state as well.

My Rep has a great pro-2A stance, but like you I think it is a slight step away from letting the tidal wave flow.  I was really hoping we'd get the suppressor bill at least up for vote, but we've only been able to stave off new bills.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Myself and I believe most here have fought the good fight to retain our gun rights for years . I got my FOID 46 years ago and have been active ever since.I'm more concerned this year then any time in the past. It will not take much change in Springfield to set in motion drastic changes in our gun laws.What has been the experience of say, New Yorkers, to bans established in their states. What does one do with the parts of their collection subject to such a law. Who would handle moving the 10s of thousands of guns out of the state for owners. I can see it being a logistics nightmare for us.
We would become an antigun Island surrounded by free states. It's hasn't happened yet, and may not, but what has been the results elsewhere in the country when the change has come?
View Quote
Do you have intel on an impending bill? Is this just hysteria? Did I miss something huge and public?

I'm unclear what I can currently own in IL that will  suddenly be "... subject to such a law ..."?

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you have intel on an impending bill? Is this just hysteria? Did I miss something huge and public?

I'm unclear what I can currently own in IL that will  suddenly be "... subject to such a law ..."?

What am I missing?
View Quote

There are bills introduced as usual (AWB, mag limits, etc) but just pending in rules/assignment  committees afaik.  Whether they go anywhere once ILGA starts meeting again in a couple of weeks, we will see.   I figure top bills may be back to bump stocks and gun dealer licensing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are bills introduced as usual (AWB, mag limits, etc) but just pending in rules/assignment  committees afaik.  Whether they go anywhere once ILGA starts meeting again in a couple of weeks, we will see.   I figure top bills may be back to bump stocks and gun dealer licensing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing?
Thx. Was afraid the ATF nonsense had emboldened state-level wankers ...
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I think everybody's eyes are all focused on March 20, the date of the Illinois primary elections, and November 6, the date of the General election.  The uncertainty of those two events, combined with a large number of retirements, has everyone anxious on both sides of the aisle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I would guess, talking to some people from other states in the past, that compliance is very low.
Magazine capacity restrictions and specific model/type gun bans, just technically turn the law abiding into criminals overnight.
You would think most people would be worried about getting caught with something that became illegal, but in states like CT, it appears, based on compliance rates, people aren't concerned.
I would guess most don't take their banned guns or accessories to public ranges anymore, in those states, but private farm or open space ranges is where they are likely used if at all.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would guess, talking to some people from other states in the past, that compliance is very low.
Magazine capacity restrictions and specific model/type gun bans, just technically turn the law abiding into criminals overnight.
You would think most people would be worried about getting caught with something that became illegal, but in states like CT, it appears, based on compliance rates, people aren't concerned.
I would guess most don't take their banned guns or accessories to public ranges anymore, in those states, but private farm or open space ranges is where they are likely used if at all.
View Quote

We still need to work to get the right Pro 2A people elected and let the others know we are watching and we vote.  With the big turnover this year I'd be concerned margins on bills for AWB, mag restrictions, etc might get slimmer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 1:45:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Not saying anything beyond the obvious, but come and try......
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Already considering a state of residence move to protect investment income from state taxes.  The taxes, politics, and weather suck.  If they give me another good reason like an AWB it's a done deal. Last productive person to leave the state please turn the lights out when you exit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Already considering a state of residence move to protect investment income from state taxes.  The taxes, politics, and weather suck.  If they give me another good reason like an AWB it's a done deal. Last productive person to leave the state please turn the lights out when you exit.
View Quote
I won't disagree with the sentiment, but the action needs to be voter-driven. If we don't inform elected reps what we want, they will do what they want
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not saying anything beyond the obvious, but come and try......
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top