Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2021 2:47:04 PM EDT
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2021/09/07/arizona-ag-tucson-vaccine-mandate-violates-law.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=bn&utm_content=ph&ana=e_ph_bn&j=24975565&senddate=2021-09-07

Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich said the city of Tucson has acted contrary to state law in mandating that city employees be vaccinated against Covid-19.

That means the city could lose millions of dollars in state funding if it does not rescind or amend its policy within 30 days, Brnovich said Tuesday.

“Tucson’s vaccine mandate is illegal and the city could be held liable for attempting to force government employees to take it against their beliefs,” Brnovich said in a statement. “Covid-19 vaccinations should be a choice, not a government mandate.”

Tucson’s rule, which was enacted on Aug. 13, required its employees to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination by Aug. 24 or face five-day unpaid suspensions.

Arizona lawmakers earlier this year passed a law forbidding local and state government entities from imposing Covid-19 mandates on employees.

However, that law does not go into effect until Sept. 29, creating what the AG described as a loophole for the city to take advantage of by issuing its order in the interim.

Gov. Doug Ducey had issued an executive order in August to stop cities from implementing Covid-19 vaccine mandates before the law went into effect, but Tucson did not rescind its ordinance after that.

Brnovich’s office said that because the intent of the state Legislature was clear when it passed the law, and because Ducey’s executive order supplemented the law, Tucson employees had a strong basis against compliance with the city’s mandate.

An attempt to reach the office of Tucson Mayor Regina Romero was not immediately returned.

Brnovich said that Tucson could be subject to liability claims from employees penalized by the city when they have refused the vaccine while relying on the state law and the governor’s executive order.

Also in August, Brnovich’s office issued a legal opinion that state and federal laws forbid government and other public agencies from mandating Covid-19 vaccinations for employees but allow private businesses to do so — provided they make accommodations for disability and religious belief.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I work for a state entity, they haven't got stupid with mandates yet. I hope this scares them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I work for a state entity, they haven't got stupid with mandates yet. I hope this scares them.
View Quote

Federal reclamation?
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Federal reclamation?
View Quote

The water delivery guys.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

So long as individuals who do bad deeds aren't identified, fired, arrested, and charged; there is no real deterrent to them doing whatever they want.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyones place of work mandating the vax yet? I hope mine dosent, i might be needing a new job soon.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyones place of work mandating the vax yet? I hope mine dosent, i might be needing a new job soon.
View Quote

Federal.

Mandate allegedly coming, today, if it hasn't already.  I stopped reading the news in late 2020 so I'm going on the water cooler talk at the office.

Not sure my job is a "career" after all.  I'm sure the employees have a plan, and I'm sure the Fed has a plan to counter it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe Ducey will save us
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe Ducey will save us
View Quote

Wouldn’t that be actually nice
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if this is what it felt like in the early days of 1861.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Meanwhile in Mohave County...

"The resolution, dubbed the “Healthcare Freedom & Privacy Against Mandatory Covid-19 Vaccination Requirements” states that no person who chooses not to be vaccinated should be required to. It also claims that it is unconstitutional for the government to require vaccinations, and that it is an invasion of privacy to require anyone to say whether or not they have been vaccinated as a condition of employment, education, access to events, or normal commercial or recreational activities. The resolution also encourages businesses and schools to avoid any vaccine mandates for employees, students, customers, or anyone else. If they do, the resolution says those businesses should provide accommodations for those who cannot be vaccinated due to a disability or a “sincerely-held” religious belief".

https://www.havasunews.com/news/mohave-county-board-of-supervisors-support-vaccine-passport-ban/article_55dabac6-1064-11ec-b4df-93819bdc081d.html

Link Posted: 9/12/2021 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

We got an email saying they are not sure how it's going to be rolled out. They said they will have to follow the Osha mandate . I too might be out of a job soon
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 11:41:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Ducey did do an executive order banning mandates, so we'll see how this is played out. I work for one of the largest state agencies in AZ, and there is nothing in my email or the Dept website sating anything about it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I am federal, but have friends who work for city of Tucson. They took the suspension

I have a note exempting me from wearing a mask, but it has been a battle. I feel completely weird being the only one not wearing one. However, I would still rather feel weird about it than not stand my ground
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top