Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2022 8:17:32 AM EDT
Edit.   Decided on Moss Lake.  come stay with us, or stop by for a day.  

I'm planing on taking the family on a camping trip to a lake/pond area, somewhere you have to paddle in supplies.   This isn't going to be some hardcore shit, just looking to do some paddling, fishing, bullshiting by the fire and teaching my kids about camping.

Right now I'm pretty flexible on location but I'm really interested in  going to salmon river reservoir  

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/regions_pdf/srcampsites.pdf

Pretty much all state land, a few islands to camp on its a pretty nice area.   I've also been looking at lakes in the Adirondacks like Moss lake near old forge or the old standby stillwater.

Right now I'm planning on the weekend of Oct 22.  Probably 2-3 nights.   If anyone is interested let me know, bring your kids!
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Salmon River Reservoir...I think its common to find local teens cavorting on those islands...

Moss Lake, now that sounds interesting!
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Salmon River Reservoir...I think its common to find local teens cavorting on those islands...

Moss Lake, now that sounds interesting!
View Quote

I know nothing about moss lake other than it has campsites around it and only one access point.

Drop off site for canoes is right by the parking lot.
I just want to get away and be near water.

If I get time I’m going to stop up there and check it out beforehand
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I hiked around it last month. The campsites look decent.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I hiked around it last month. The campsites look decent.
View Quote

How many campers do you think could fit in one?

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

There was a site not far from the parking that looked pretty wide open, with a fire pit and table. But I couldn’t put a number to it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Moss lake is a great location. Beautiful hiking loop.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Decided on Moss lake, haven't stayed there before so its somewhere new.   I like the Moose River Plains but I always stay there.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Decided on Moss lake, haven't stayed there before so its somewhere new.   I like the Moose River Plains but I always stay there.  

View Quote

I hear that. So many places to go but its the same after a while.
Wife and I are going to switch it up and go to the Catskills some where I think this fall.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#9]
We'll be at Chapman State Park in western PA in early October.  Will see if we can make it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Since Wodstock and I have never been there... is this more of a hike-in with your stuff place, or does it have room for a small travel trailer?

ETA:  Uh... well, if it's Moss Lake, I see that's a hike/boat in kinda place.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There was a site not far from the parking that looked pretty wide open, with a fire pit and table. But I couldn't put a number to it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a site not far from the parking that looked pretty wide open, with a fire pit and table. But I couldn't put a number to it.
How far is not too far?
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#12]
There are two sites I think you can reach by foot, the others are canoe/kayak only.

If I get my canoe trailer by then I may have a spare with me someone can borrow for the weekend.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Since Wodstock and I have never been there... is this more of a hike-in with your stuff place, or does it have room for a small travel trailer?

ETA:  Uh... well, if it's Moss Lake, I see that's a hike/boat in kinda place.
View Quote

It’s camping, not glamping.

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Campsites plotted on map

Site 1, 2, and 2.5 are nice and close to each other.

If we have to use a boat to haul gear to a farther campsite, mine can hold a decent amount. My ferrying fees are reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm making straight for that one on the point if its open, I'm sure we could fit a few tents there.   I doubt many people are going to show up if any.

Remember though, think kid friendly, my 9 and 6 year old will be there and while they already know some colorful words there are a few I'd rather they not learn.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Bump because the Adirondacks are my happy place.

And because I found some pics that I took of Moss Lake in July.
Attachment Attached File

Dammit, the good ones are too big to upload.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been trying to cut away for a quick weekend up there but it just hasn't happened.   I do have a week off coming up where I'll be in the high peaks for a week, after that I'm going to try and fit in two camping weekends in Oct.   Definitely going to Moss lake in Oct.   Just bought a new camping hammock too, just need to find an under quilt for it for the colder months.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's camping, not glamping.

View Quote
Even when I camped, it was pretty glampy.
(STPR, camping in the horse barn at the Tioga county fairgrounds.)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been trying to cut away for a quick weekend up there but it just hasn't happened.   I do have a week off coming up where I'll be in the high peaks for a week, after that I'm going to try and fit in two camping weekends in Oct.   Definitely going to Moss lake in Oct.   Just bought a new camping hammock too, just need to find an under quilt for it for the colder months.
View Quote

I need a under quilt for my Hennessy. I have 4 season with the slit and it has a pad but I got down in the 20s in early May and I was cold.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Moss is great. Site 4 on the peninsula right across from the launch is small but perfect for 1-2 tents. Site 6 I believe is the biggest, with some stone steps leading up to the wide open site. You could probably fit six tents in there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Is this still a thing?
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is this still a thing?
View Quote

We’ll be there, coming up sat morning though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#23]
My plan is to get there around 9 or 10 on saturday.  Had something come up so I can't get there friday afternoon like I wanted.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2022 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#24]
If anyone is going to be there shoot me a text, even if you come up for the day for a few beers I can always come pick you up in the canoe.   Weather should be great, and there is a meteor shower going on and it should be clear so its going to be a great night.   I wish I could get there tonight but life likes to screw up my plans.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#25]
It was a great meet up. Thanks to everyone who joined me in visiting a great arfcommer. Here is the group photo:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It was a great meet up. Thanks to everyone who joined me in visiting a great arfcommer. Here is the group photo:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58424/2C183648-FB24-4064-AA8A-3F1602079518_jpe-2572595.JPG
View Quote

Sorry guys, I had to work a double shift yesterday and I'm in Onondaga county this morning
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Musta been pretty snuggly in that sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I really like that spot.   The night was amazing, dead quite other than owls and loons, crystal clear skies and more stars than you can count.

Thanks for stoping out man, was good to see you again, I havent seen anyone in forever.   I think there needs to be a big camping trip in the spring
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#31]
“Smashing that ‘like’ button.”
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was in NY hunting, didn't see shit, should have gone camping. It was really warm.
View Quote

Weather was great, wife and kids got a bit cold in the early morning but I thought it was great out.  

Cant beat weather like that for late oct
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Ciraxis - as always, your pics are great - you should consider doing something professionally with that!

I was in LAke Placid for a hockey tournament, weather was beautiful - glad you got a good weekend and some time with the family!

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry I had to miss it, we were down in Pompano Beach that week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top