Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2020 8:05:39 PM EDT
Just wondering if guys (ladies) are still buying since the new lowers are available now.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard of people offloading their prebans for something "other".
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally I'd still buy a preban but it would have to be for a fairly good price considering the availability of Others.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Are prebans still transferable and exempt from the AW laws? I.E. can a preban that's NOT an AW have evil features installed and be bought or sold?
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#4]
People are still buying (me included) but prices for easily identifiable prebans on gunbroker are super high right now. Several are around $1600+ and not done yet.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I am still in the market but as Durham said prices are crazy high right now.

I have not played with, nor do I plan to play with, “others”. In my opinion they are playing with fire.

Prebans at least are more or less safe from an ATF opinion.

Might as well buy what you can now. If Biden gets in look for him to step down sometime in his first term. Then Harris will appoint one of the cunt squad members as her VP. Then you can kiss semi-autos and magazines goodbye.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I was at club Tuesday zeroing in my muzzleloader.

Guy came in wth new rifle and asked if I knew anything about ar's and if I could walk him through the rifle

He takes it out... i look at receiver and it was an essential arms cast lower. He had just picked the rifle up from a LGS... forgot where.

So ya there is a market
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#7]
just over paid for an eagle arms but the way things are I'm not that sorry for doing so.

I understand others scratch an itch but not having to sacrifice building exactly what you want still makes it worth the cost of a preban.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I should buy another pre-ban.
Maybe an mp5.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone ever seen a preban Olympic with no logo?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/886253108

Link Posted: 12/8/2020 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes in person. I saw two with consecutive serial numbers. I passed on them because I suspected they were fakes. I know where one is.

I have 4 of them and when I put my four next to the two without logos there were two many things that scared me. One was they were in perfect condition. Odd, given they are 25yrs old. Consecutive serials? The guy supposedly found a box of 25 lowers he forgot about. He owned a machine shop. That scared me too. The font was not the same either. Lastly, he offered them at a too good to be true price.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes in person. I saw two with consecutive serial numbers. I passed on them because I suspected they were fakes. I know where one is.

I have 4 of them and when I put my four next to the two without logos there were two many things that scared me. One was they were in perfect condition. Odd, given they are 25yrs old. Consecutive serials? The guy supposedly found a box of 25 lowers he forgot about. He owned a machine shop. That scared me too. The font was not the same either. Lastly, he offered them at a too good to be true price.
View Quote

That’s what I was thinking about the one in that auction. Ended up throwing a low bid at it anyway because I’m a sucker for a cheap preban. The fonts look great. Serial is a little off axis but I’ve seen them like that on preban lowers with the logo. Who knows, maybe those were fake too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I should buy another pre-ban.
Maybe an mp5.
View Quote

I think every preban variant of an mp5 is on the banned by name list.  Is there one I'm not aware of?
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never. I owned two of them and they both has 'Z' prefix SN's in the same font and size as the caliber and model numbers. The fact that the SN isn't straight and curves up is a big warnig sign.

Here's a link to a thread with some SN info.

https://www.theakforum.net/threads/older-sgw-marked-olyimpic-arms-ar-15.312983/
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#14]
So with braces getting banned... How will this impact others in CT?
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Nevermind, Im not going to try to guess.  Im sure we won't like it.

It would probably further complicate no AR others.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#16]
You would just put a pistol tube on it
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I think preban is still safe (but pricey) given the brace situation.  

Things are still in flux and I tend to think we may, for once, be OK in Connecticut with the others.  All the ATF noise is now about AR pistols being regarded as SBRs.  But our CT Other are not pistols to begin with.  So I think we may be safe for now.  Once they are done with AR pistols they will probably turn their attention to all Other stuff.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Federally, a CT other is a pistol.  The VFG is legal on a pistol over 26" in length, that's why the federal government hasn't changed anything with sale of CT others. Uuntil now, CT others haven't violated any federal laws.  If your other overall length is shorter than 26" you should have already registered it as an AOW.  The only reason it's not a problem with the CT AWB is really because a pistol as far as CT is concerned, is anything with a barrel less than 12" long.  If the federal government says that braces are shouldering devices and thus stocks, CT others with braces will all be a problem regardless of barrel length.  Barrels shorter than 16" will be SBR's per the federal government, and 16"+ will be rifles per the federal government, and both of those are restricted as assault weapons by CT.

If this gets pushed through federally, I think the only thing CT residents could hope for is permission to register their CT others as assault weapons so that they could then follow suit with the federal guidelines.  CT residents could also take the braces off entirely, but based on all the subjective things listed in the current information we've seen publicly, the brace may not even be the deciding factor on if it's now a SBR...it might be weight or caliber, or ability to use the sights, or what type of sighting device is used...that being the case, there may be no out for CT residents other than finding ways to convert their others to pump action or bolt action so that they're not subject to the CT AWB.

That's why this is such a massive problem.  The documentation so far offers nothing specific, and continues to further the "we'll know it when we see it" attitude that makes it so difficult for those of us that want to be law abiding citizens to understand what's legal.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Federally, a CT other is a pistol.  The VFG is legal on a pistol over 26" in length, that's why the federal government hasn't changed anything with sale of CT others. Uuntil now, CT others haven't violated any federal laws.  If your other overall length is shorter than 26" you should have already registered it as an AOW.  The only reason it's not a problem with the CT AWB is really because a pistol as far as CT is concerned, is anything with a barrel less than 12" long.  If the federal government says that braces are shouldering devices and thus stocks, CT others with braces will all be a problem regardless of barrel length.  Barrels shorter than 16" will be SBR's per the federal government, and 16"+ will be rifles per the federal government, and both of those are restricted as assault weapons by CT.
View Quote

I agree with some of this, as you assume the brace will stay on the Others after it's deemed to be a stock, and will therefore turn the Other into a SBR or rifle.  You can simply remove the brace and run it with the tube, or add a Thordsen cheek weld which has ATF approval.  The state would have to specifically ban the Other for people to find themselves in possession of an AW.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I agree with some of this, as you assume the brace will stay on the Others after it's deemed to be a stock, and will therefore turn the Other into a SBR or rifle.  You can simply remove the brace and run it with the tube, or add a Thordsen cheek weld which has ATF approval.  The state would have to specifically ban the Other for people to find themselves in possession of an AW.
View Quote

The way I read the ATF document, it sounds to me like they want to even say that certain caliber or weight or length or sighting devices make a firearm a rifle, with or without a brace or stock on it.  That's what scares me and makes me fear that just removing the brace won't solve the problem.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I posted up a pre-ban in the EE.  I don’t need it and figured someone else could use it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top