Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2020 10:46:09 AM EDT
I currently have a stripped lower receiver just sitting around. I’ve pondered the idea of building it into an ar pistol. I do have a pistol permit for the state of New York. What are the rules for this? Seems like as long as I make the magazine non detachable I’m good to go? Is there barrel length restrictions?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah just has to be a fixed magazine. Just use a t-nut on the mag release. Doesn't have to be permanent like some think, in my opinion.

Then get the lower added to your pistol permit by showing FFL receipt with make, model and serial. May need to show proof of an upper so they can list caliber. Depends on county.

Barrel length can be anything. Flash hider and adjustable brace are all OK.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone in Suffolk had any luck getting a AR pistol on their “ sportsman” license ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone in Suffolk had any luck getting a AR pistol on their “ sportsman” license ?
View Quote

Curious about Nassau also.  Not that I need another pistol on my permit...

Bill
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Fixed mag lower should not be a problem unless you have a badge in your wallet and can get the upgrade.   When you register it, make sure you cover it in whatever other calibers you want to buy uppers for so you dont have to go back and do it later.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Suffolk sheriff won't.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone ever try/ask in yaphank?      Over  the summer I went in person to drop off my renewal ..... guy behind the counter that helped me was super nice and we chatted for a bit about normal stuff.    I should have asked him .....doh
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:25:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Nassau and Suffolk are definitively no go’s for AR pistols.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I apologize for being way behind the times but what forces the mag to be fixed once it's listed on a pistol permit?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#9]
No pistol can have a detachable magazine outside the pistol grip. Even Olympic target 22lr pistols are assault weapons now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No pistol can have a detachable magazine outside the pistol grip. Even Olympic target 22lr pistols are assault weapons now.
View Quote

The 50 ounce weight limit also applies to pistols with a detachable magazine.

I have one OP. Put a fixed mag in it.

Clerk had no issues adding it here, but I've heard in some counties they will outright refuse to put an AR on your permit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Clerk had no issues adding it here, but I've heard in some counties they will outright refuse to put an AR on your permit.
View Quote

I had no issues...but how does the clerk even know it's an AR lower receiver? Do they google the name? Some lowers have very random names.

Also an AR pistol is not illegal in NY so a clerk has no basis for denying it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I had no issues...but how does the clerk even know it's an AR lower receiver? Do they google the name? Some lowers have very random names.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sales receipt for the lower said something like "AR-15, Caliber 5.56"

Some judges, clerks, sherrifs or whoever (each county is different) will outright refuse to add one, at least that's the word on Reddit and NYFirearms.

I'm sure you could appeal it, but at the end of the day they get to decide....thanks NY.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Some judges, clerks, sherrifs or whoever (each county is different) will outright refuse to add one, at least that's the word on Reddit and NYFirearms.

I'm sure you could appeal it, but at the end of the day they get to decide....thanks NY.
View Quote

It's all in the language....years ago there was a story of a Municipality that didn't want their Police Officers issued .45acp because it was too big, so the Chief told them it was 11mm and they said that was OK.

We list them however the receiver is marked eg:
Anderson Mfg.
MSR-15
Multi.
FU123456
When a stripped lower comes in, it's Booked as "Other" and if you want to make it a Handgun, do a P-12 as a Frame/receiver same as you would something like a T/C Contender.  The Pistol Clerk will want to know the caliber, and if you don't have one yet, just list it as none, then change it when you do.....Most will have difficulty (remember, just because they work in a Law Enforcement Department doesn't mean they know jack-schitt more than they've been told) so use the T/C analogy as they often understand that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's all in the language....years ago there was a story of a Municipality that didn't want their Police Officers issued .45acp because it was too big, so the Chief told them it was 11mm and they said that was OK.

Anderson Mfg.
MSR-15
Multi.
FU123456
When a stripped lower comes in, it's Booked as "Other" and if you want to make it a Handgun, do a P-12 as a Frame/receiver same as you would something like a T/C Contender.  The Pistol Clerk will want to know the caliber, and if you don't have one yet, just list it as none, then change it when you do.....Most will have difficulty (remember, just because they work in a Law Enforcement Department doesn't mean they know jack-schitt more than they've been told) so use the T/C analogy as they often understand that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anderson Mfg.
MSR-15
Multi.
FU123456

Our county requires a caliber to be listed.

Multi is not an option.

I asked about a TC and how they did those. She said just list every caliber barrel you own for it or want to own for it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Multi is not an option.

I asked about a TC and how they did those. She said just list every caliber barrel you own for it or want to own for it.
View Quote

Then in that case, I'd suggest just telling them what you plan on assembling. "A .22, a Thirty, and a 6.5"  Remember most of the time you're dealing with a LIFER.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Then in that case, I'd suggest just telling them what you plan on assembling. "A .22, a Thirty, and a 6.5"  Remember most of the time you're dealing with a LIFER.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Multi is not an option.

What's a lifer?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I built a 300 blackout pistol with a fixed mag and when i went to put it on my card the county clerk listed it as anderson. Took five minutes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top