Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2022 11:06:08 PM EDT
Hi folks,

I hope all is well. I’m considering an Appalachian trail hike of 2000 miles.
Through the rural wherever without cell service, cell battery power, etc. in backcountry, I want to carry something. It appears that if a random person hiking through the state carries a black powder pistol like an Uberti 36 cal 1861 navy, that’s a “crime”?

To rephrase the question is there any “firearm” any law abiding person can carry through the state in passing? This includes a new production flintlock rifle.

Thank You
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:30:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
To rephrase the question is there any “firearm” any law abiding person can carry through the state in passing? This includes a new production flintlock rifle.
View Quote

Short answer?  No.  NJ considers all black powder guns "firearms", and regulates their possession via the Firearms ID card, or a permit to carry a handgun.  And before you think to apply for a non-resident FID card, and carry a flintlock rifle - know that an FID only allows general possession of an UNLOADED rifle.  Possession of a LOADED rifle (outside certain narrow exceptions) is a crime in and of itself ( see 2C:39-5c(2) ).

Possession of ANY handgun, outside of specific exemptions, is also a crime unless you have a permit to carry a handgun.  You can't get one, and walking in the woods is not an approved exemption.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top