Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2020 5:25:47 PM EDT
Sometime next week I'm driving my father-in-law to Abilene to pick up his truck so I'll be driving back to Mesquite by myself (east border of Dallas).  

I've never been west of fort Worth and only been there twice, once to go to the big gun show in another time TV north of town to take a test at a college.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#1]
What day will you be in Abi?  
If Weds - Sat, Jays BBQ at S11th/ Cherry is outstanding.  Only open 11-2 though.  Also serves Pappy Slokums beer.  Try the Stripper Dust vanilla porter.  

And, no, not much to see.   If you are going through by Ranger / Strawn there is supposed to be an outstanding cafe along that way.  

Take I20 one way, take the old Mineral Wells hwy back, 351 / 180.  Gets you from Abi to Weatherford. Beautiful drive.

Hollar at me if u need more help.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Fossil rim is over there. Really cool drive through safari.

https://fossilrim.org/
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If Weds - Sat, Jays BBQ at S11th/ Cherry is outstanding.  Only open 11-2 though.  Also serves Pappy Slokums beer.  Try the Stripper Dust vanilla porter.  

And, no, not much to see.   If you are going through by Ranger / Strawn there is supposed to be an outstanding cafe along that way.  

Take I20 one way, take the old Mineral Wells hwy back.   Beautiful drive.

View Quote

Smokestack in Strawn is solidly meh.
HWY 351/180 is a much better way to go unless you're in a hurry

OP, sadly there really inst much of anything.  
In Weatherford you'll pass the original home of Camelbak on the south side of 20 if seeing a small industrial building is interesting to you
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fossil rim is over there. Really cool drive through safari.

https://fossilrim.org/
View Quote

Fossil Rim is an hour south of 20, so kind of out of the way, and really more of an all day, not a stop by and see.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:07:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are going through by Ranger / Strawn there is supposed to be an outstanding cafe along that way.  
View Quote

Mary's in Strawn is renowned for their chicken fried steak.  It's probably the best I've ever had in a restaurant, but not as good as my aunt's.

Many, many, many people say it's the best in the world, and I'm not going to argue.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:22:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Mary's in Strawn is renowned for their chicken fried steak.  It's probably the best I've ever had in a restaurant, but not as good as my aunt's.

Many, many, many people say it's the best in the world, and I'm not going to argue.
View Quote

I argue it. It's good, maybe even worth exiting. not worth driving to.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 6:04:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

*snap!  
Thats the cafe I was thinking of!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Mary's is good CFS, but it's more known for the size than the quality. They serve huge steaks that cover large plates. It's good truck driver quality food.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I drove to it just to eat there (from Ft. Worth-ish).  I think it was well worth the drive.

Where do you think there's better CFS in Texas?  

Please, for the love of whatever god you believe in, do not say Babe's.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I drove to it just to eat there (from Ft. Worth-ish).  I think it was well worth the drive.

View Quote

hell no not Babe's.

I don't know where has better off the top of my head, dont know where has worse either. My memory for details like that sucks but even the best crap sandwich is still crap.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
...but even the best crap sandwich is still crap.
View Quote

Not sure what that means here.  Are you implying that CFS is crap?  Because if you are, we will have to fight to the death if we ever meet in real life.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not sure what that means here.  Are you implying that CFS is crap?  Because if you are, we will have to fight to the death if we ever meet in real life.
View Quote

hell no! chicken fried steak is awesome, with taters and gravy.

I remember a few places with better, one east of Austin, another was some tiny shack out past Paris heading to OK.

I mean that even IF Mary's (i remember it as smokestack for some reason) is the best there is in the state, doesnt make it good.
put another way, what's the best infringement on the 2nd amendment?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

hell no! chicken fried steak is awesome, with taters and gravy.

I remember a few places with better, one east of Austin, another was some tiny shack out past Paris heading to OK.

I mean that even IF Mary's (i remember it as smokestack for some reason) is the best there is in the state, doesnt make it good.
put another way, what's the best infringement on the 2nd amendment?
View Quote

Ah, I see.  Well, if you remember, I'd love to try 'em out.  

But Mary's has been on more than one list of best CFS in the world.  Google it and you'll see that it's pretty well regarded.  I wonder if you went somewhere else?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#14]
The Smokestack is in Thurber.  Mary's is in Strawn.  Not anywhere close to the same league, imo.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#15]
hmmm. seems i may need to back pedal and make counter accusations

I was confusing Mary's and Smokestack.  I'll blame TBI, or just being dumb, take your pick.

looking at pics of Mary's, I have been there, but don't remember the CFS.  Smokestack I remember due to it's mediocrity, and charging like $5 for my wife and I to share a plate.

my apologies fellas.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
hmmm. seems i may need to back pedal and make counter accusations

I was confusing Mary's and Smokestack.  I'll blame TBI, or just being dumb, take your pick.

looking at pics of Mary's, I have been there, but don't remember the CFS.  Smokestack I remember due to it's mediocrity, and charging like $5 for my wife and I to share a plate.

my apologies fellas.
View Quote

I got a burger there once.  It was OK. A buddy says their pie is outstanding. A lot of people love their breakfast.  Cool history in the town too.

As far as Marys, never been, but their rep precedes them.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I got a burger there once.  It was OK. A buddy says their pie is outstanding. A lot of people love their breakfast.  Cool history in the town too.

As far as Marys, never been, but their rep precedes them.
View Quote

Off topic for this thread, but if you're ever driving between DFW and San Antonio, take 281 instead of I35.  While in Hico, stop by the Koffee Kup Family Restaurant (which has some interesting history as you might guess from the former name, Koffee Kup Kafe).  It's now a nice family run restaurant that makes some badass pies.  

Oh, and you're not taking 281 just for the pie, you're doing it because it's just as fast and a bazillion time nicer to drive.  Less traffic, better scenery (who doesn't love the hill country?), and better places to make pitstops.  Just don't speed through those small towns, and don't speed too much outside of the towns, and you'll thank me if you've never gone this way.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Off topic for this thread, but if you're ever driving between DFW and San Antonio, take 281 instead of I35.  While in Hico, stop by the Koffee Kup Family Restaurant (which has some interesting history as you might guess from the former name, Koffee Kup Kafe).  It's now a nice family run restaurant that makes some badass pies.  

Oh, and you're not taking 281 just for the pie, you're doing it because it's just as fast and a bazillion time nicer to drive.  Less traffic, better scenery (who doesn't love the hill country?), and better places to make pitstops.  Just don't speed through those small towns, and don't speed too much outside of the towns, and you'll thank me if you've never gone this way.
View Quote

Although I have never gone from DFW to SA, I’ll keep that in mind ???? I love the hill country.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you are going through by Ranger / Strawn there is supposed to be an outstanding cafe along that way.  

I've had it many many times, and its definitely not the best in the world, but its pretty danged good, and portions are ginormous
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cattle Barons in Lubbock is about 3x better
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#21]
The rest stop around Ranger hill is a pretty decent place to quickly take a piss and briefly enjoy the elevated view...that's all I got.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only time I've been to Lubbock was when my flight was diverted, but I'll keep that in mind.  Actually, I'm making a mental note.  Next time I'm in the mood for a weekend road trip, it might be to go get some CFS.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Only time I've been to Lubbock was when my flight was diverted, but I'll keep that in mind.  Actually, I'm making a mental note.  Next time I'm in the mood for a weekend road trip, it might be to go get some CFS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lubbock is pretty solid during the summer, its a dry heat vs. swamp ass of the rest of the state.  Also cools down at night to be quite comfy outside.  

I wouldn't drive anywhere just for CFS tho
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh, I would.  

OK, don't laugh, but in the late 90s I had a website dedicated to CFS.  It was kinda like CFS Yelp before Yelp existed.  I had dozens of reviews there, and there were a few hundred reviews from others all across the country.  

Anyway, yeah, I like chicken fried steak a little...  
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh, I would.  

OK, don't laugh, but in the late 90s I had a website dedicated to CFS.  It was kinda like CFS Yelp before Yelp existed.  I had dozens of reviews there, and there were a few hundred reviews from others all across the country.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I would.  

One of the best CFS I've ever had is at Pryors Cafe outside of Billings, MT.... Cattle Baron is Lubbock is another excellent one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Mary's is good CFS, but it's more known for the size than the quality. They serve huge steaks that cover large plates. It's good truck driver quality food.
View Quote

This,  I grew up out that direction and have since moved on.  I can assure you that the CFS at Mary's is not worth the trip.  People who think Mary's CFS is good also think the steaks at the Big Texas in Amarillo are worth eating.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sometime next week I'm driving my father-in-law to Abilene to pick up his truck so I'll be driving back to Mesquite by myself (east border of Dallas).  

I've never been west of fort Worth and only been there twice, once to go to the big gun show in another time TV north of town to take a test at a college.
View Quote

The only thing to see out that way is the back of your eyeballs while taking a nap.     If your driving this could be dangerous.  

There used to be some decent gun stores in Abilene but last time I looked around out there only the red Pawn shop was still open.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:13:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The rest stop around Ranger hill is a pretty decent place to quickly take a piss and briefly enjoy the elevated view...that's all I got.
View Quote

I love to urinate, thanks

Mary's chicken fried steak sounds like a worthy stop.  Living in Mesquite for my ten years in Texas, I've not really had good Texas food so I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:01:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Conrad Hilton's very first Hilton Hotel in Cisco, TX
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Oh, I just remembered, in Abilene is the 12th Armored Division museum.  That's worth a walk through if you have an hour or two to kill while you're there.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Oh, I just remembered, in Abilene is the 12th Armored Division museum.  That's worth a walk through if you have an hour or two to kill while you're there.
View Quote

Cant speak for the museum, but have fun dodging the hobos while you are there.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went about 5 years ago, and it was nice.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

????
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Trip delayed.....

Going tomorrow (Friday the 12th).  I'll try to hit that chicken fried steak place for lunch (although I might be passing back through too early).  

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

In my opinion, Jake & Dorthy's in Stephenville was better than Mary's, but I haven't been in many years and things do change.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#36]
I went to Mary's.  

It was big, but if that counts for good, great or BEST then all I can say is....

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I went to Mary's.  

It was big, but if that counts for good, great or BEST then all I can say is....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433565/tenor-21-1465084.gif
View Quote

So, how was your trip?   Stay on 20 or take the back way?
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I went to Mary's.  

View Quote

The main difference between Mary’s CFS and most other places is that Mary’s is pan-fried and others are deep-fried.  I much prefer pan-fried as most deep-fried CFS are actually frozen.

Furr’s CFS are pan-fried, but I’m not even sure they survived the coronavirus shutdown or not as most around me were closed before.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went to Mary's.  

I was stopping at Mary's on the way back so I stuck with 20.  I also didn't want to be coming through DFW during traffic.  I got home at 2:30pm after leaving at 5:30am instead of 5am since my 78 year old father in law runs on GP Time.

Grandpa time

He's a retired truck driver who grew up in Abilene so he told me where every truck stop used to be

He also took the union cock for years so I don't talk politics anymore
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Take I20 one way, take the old Mineral Wells hwy back, 351 / 180.  Gets you from Abi to Weatherford. Beautiful drive.

View Quote
Mary's is the cafe I assume you're talking about. It's awesome. Jay's is good, had it a few weeks ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top