Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2022 7:31:19 AM EDT
Wife and I are going to be down there for a weekend, anything we should try to do?  Things to see, restaurants to try, etc.  Any other general info about the town or places to avoid also appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a burger at Newt's.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]

The Tap House has good food and beer. Next door at Bitter and Pour they have the the best cocktails south of the Cities.

If the weather is bad you can wander around the miles of the subway and skyway system. I have always felt safe there and most places downtown. The S.E. part of town has few square blocks of undesirables but you’d actively have to try and find them.  

If the weather is good a walk around Silver Lake - if you don’t mind goose poop.

Coyote Creek is the gun store/shooting range.

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I can't pass up a good burger, so Newt's is definitely on the list.  I'd wondered if the problems of the metro had made it down there, so I  appreciate the general info, Deaddog8.  Looks like weather should be decent, so we are hoping to have a good time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 4:15:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Newts burger is a must.

I like hitting Texas Roadhouse because there are none around me.  Pittsburg blue if you want a nicer steak place.

Lots of nice bars around the mayo downtown area if that’s your thing and a few breweries in town.  There is a whiskey bar right down the block from newts that is good I’m blanking in the name.   Plenty of little shops, coffee, antiques and stuff downtown to just walk around and explore.

Scheels has a decent gun selection.  Never been to the other gun store.  

Area around the civic center has a lot of nice walking paths around the river and the weather should be nice.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Good info Wolfglock, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Hardee’s Barbecue is a must stop. Get the jojo potatoes. Place looks bad but the bbq is fantastic. On the south side of town. Hwy 63 towards Stewartville. East side of the road. Wild rice soup at Tarsillas in Stewartville is very good. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, we are back.  We went to Newt's, and from all of the rave reviews I sort of expected that it was going to be over-hyped.  I was wrong, it is properly-hyped.  My burger was fantastic, I think it was in the top 5 of all time for me.  Fries and onion rings were also about perfect, and the staff was working their asses off on an extremely busy Friday night.  They are building one of these in the south metro pretty close to us, I hope they keep everything the same as the original Rochester version.  

Went to a few other restaurants and casually hung around town.  It's a nice town.  We drove around the whole downtown area quite a bit and didn't see any sketchy areas at all.  That's not to say that there aren't any, but we didn't find them.  I really didn't see any of the stuff I've gotten so used to in Minneapolis and St. Paul - trash, graffiti, homeless camps, urban youths walking down the street shouting for no reason etc.  At least at a glance, it looks like it'd be a nice place to live.  Thanks for all of the tips!
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Hear Mayo is pretty good if you want to go get some doctoring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top