Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2021 3:14:31 PM EDT
Family and I are spending a couple days in PHL, staying right by Reading Terminal.

Anything good to eat there?  Also, anything good to do there besides Independence Hall?

We're stopping by Valley Forge and Turkey Hill on our way out.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#1]
DiNic's for a pork sandwich
Tremini's for a slice of cake
Get a pound of coffee from Old city coffee on the way out.

There's not a whole lot of space to hang around and eat. You can sometimes get a beer at the beer garden and eat there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#2]
<--- has lived and worked in Philadelphia since the 1990s.  

I'll second the recommendation for Dinic's, specificaly the roast pork sandwich with either broccoli rabe or spinach.  It's a classic Philly sandwich that is hard to find (at that level of quality) in many other places, although John's Roast Pork in South Philly will give it a run for its money.  I heard you can get pork cracklins on top of the sandwich as well so ask for it -- even other Dinic's locations (e.g. the one at the Philadelphia Navy Yard) don't offer cracklins.

I suppose the Philly cheesesteak should be on the list as well, although the best steak place in Reading Terminal was evicted many years ago (Steve's Prince of Steaks).  Personally I would go for the pork sandwich from Dinic's instead.  If you want a cheesesteak in Center City then get one at Jim's near 3rd and South Street.  (Yes, there are better cheesesteaks in the city but we are talking about Center City here.)

If you are into (or just want to try) Amish cuisine (I grew up 30 mins from Lancaster), I also recommend getting breakfast at the Dutch Eating Place.  It will be crowded so get there early if you want a seat.  Local specialties include the chicken pot pie (note:  if you've not had it in this fashion, there is no "crust", only noodles) and shoo fly pie (this is not as sweet as it sounds, this is why they serve it with whipped cream).

I do NOT recommend getting breakfast at the Down Home Diner in Reading Terminal.  Honestly I'm not sure why they have such a following.  The food is subpar.  Go for the Amish Eating Place instead.

I also think Beiler's bakery has the best donuts in the city.  I know people here crow about Federal Donuts but I've had a few and they seem overpriced and overhyped.  If you want a classic Philly dessert, try Termini's cannoli (also available at Reading Terminal).

Note:  Beiler's and the Dutch Eating Place (and the other Amish stores) are not always open.  As an example, I believe they are not open Sunday (even though the rest of the Market may be open).  

For other sights in/around Center City I would recommend touring the USS Olympia (the last surviving warship from the Spanish-American War) if you're into military stuff.  The museum has been having constant trouble maintaining her and I suspect they will run out of money soon and scrap her.  We will lose the last ship of her kind when that happens.  Otherwise I'd recommend the usual historical sites -- Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.  

Keep your head on a swivel.  There have been multiple shootings/stabbings in the best parts of Center City over the last few months (the last shooting was near Rittenhouse Square last week, although at 2 AM).  It used to be that Center City was basically "safe" (as much as a big city could be) but with the events of 2020 it is no longer the case.  Philly now blames its ever-escalating crime problem on "gun violence", instead of looking hard at the lax (or non) enforcement of laws.  The broken window theory is rapidly making the best parts of Philadelphia dangerous and I fear we have started to see all the progress from the late 1990s unwind.  

PS is there a specific Turkey Hill you are visiting or are you going just for the ultra-sweet iced tea in any one of their gas station locations?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I eat at RTM weekly.

The above recommendation about a roast pork sandwich at DiNics followed by a donut at Beilers is on point.  That's my normal lunch order.

The corned beef and pastrami sandwiches at Herschels East Side Deli are the best I've ever had.  They aren't 'Philly' but they are freaking delicious.  

If you're in Philly you should definitely get a cheesesteak and an Italian hoagie.  Those, along with the Italian Roast pork, are the 'big 3' of Philly sandwiches which are the best in the world. I don't believe there is an amazing place in RTM for either but the several places that sell them will still be pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#4]
On your way out of the city, there's a place called Dalessandro's.  Hands down the best Philadelphia cheesesteak!
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On your way out of the city, there's a place called Dalessandro's.  Hands down the best Philadelphia cheesesteak!
View Quote

Good luck......they are ALWAYS packed
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Second on the Amish place for breakfast....  Here is a link Amish Breakfast place at Reading Terminal

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Beiler’s Donuts
https://www.beilersdoughnuts.com/our-story/

If you like spicy/Cajun food then Beck’s
http://www.beckscajuncafe.com/
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow Dinics is completely overrated

Didn't think it was very good at all, enjoyed the cheese steak much more.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#9]
heathen.

Local food is not always good to non locals.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
heathen.

Local food is not always good to non locals.
View Quote

I know, my family is torn on this too, my bro loves Dinics.  I got it twice and just didn't think it was very good.

Had a bunch of other fantastic food there though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top